C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need tips on winter storage...moving to Syracuse

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:57 PM
razor32
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tips on winter storage...moving to Syracuse

I am moving from Dallas to Syracuse NY and I was wondering how you folks that live in areas of BIG snow, store their vette for winter. I will garage it, but I am wondering what I need to do to take car of tires. if I just back it out once a week will that prevent any damage like flat spots.

Also, if anyone reads this from NY, how tough are they on front plate requirement? I don't run them here in Dallas and have had zero hassle except state troopers (2 warnings)

Mike
Old 09-19-2011, 02:06 PM
wide one
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by razor32
I am moving from Dallas to Syracuse NY and I was wondering how you folks that live in areas of BIG snow, store their vette for winter. I will garage it, but I am wondering what I need to do to take car of tires. if I just back it out once a week will that prevent any damage like flat spots.

Also, if anyone reads this from NY, how tough are they on front plate requirement? I don't run them here in Dallas and have had zero hassle except state troopers (2 warnings)

Mike
Don't move.
I've live up north and moved to Geogia. If you have to move, sell the vette, buy an old rusted out 4wd truck, a used snow blower, and save the rest for the increased taxes you'll have to pay.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:47 PM
COL-INF
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Dont' move" is good advice but if you must...you must. My understanding on the tires is if you have run-flats then flat spots are a relic of the past. Simply add 4 lbs of air to each tire.

As for the rest of the car, oil change + wash/wax + several small perforated plastic bags filled with mothballs to keep criters out + a highly rated, breathable car cover + a battery tender = good winter protection.

Works in New Hampshire.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:07 PM
AC04
Racer

Default 4 lbs extra air

Originally Posted by COL-INF
"Dont' move" is good advice but if you must...you must. My understanding on the tires is if you have run-flats then flat spots are a relic of the past. Simply add 4 lbs of air to each tire.

As for the rest of the car, oil change + wash/wax + several small perforated plastic bags filled with mothballs to keep criters out + a highly rated, breathable car cover + a battery tender = good winter protection.

Works in New Hampshire.

Meaning 36 psi?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Stabil in tank
Wash & wax
Trickle charger
Tires are fine these days; given compound weel/rim architecture
Old 09-19-2011, 03:11 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I just park and disconnect the battery. Then if there are any nice days I take it out for a few miles.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:19 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Same as above. Tire pressure raised to 38-40. Trickle charger.
Rather than moth *****, use dryer cling free sheets like bounce.
They smell better than moth ***** and do the same job...keeping varmits away.
If there is any chance of mice etc getting in the garage. Stuff socks in the exhaust tips, just so they wont nest in there.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Increase tire pressure.
Oil change in fall.
Park in garage on mats( moister barrier from concrete floor)
Wax car, clean inside, heavy on the leather cleaner.
Windows up.
Connect trickle charger, I don't keep it on 24/7 just couple times a week( I keep battery
connected).
Put car cover on.

This is what I do. No Sta bill, because storage is not long term. Just a few months.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:42 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike
I have never run without front plates, but I've heard from others that you'll probably get pulled over without them. Seems like cops are looking for new ways to "raise revenue" as the politicians call it!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in NYC, Nov-March is 5 months.

Snow, Salt, and low temps for GT F1 tires say keep it indoors
Old 09-19-2011, 03:44 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

You will have fun driving in Upstate NY. Lots of hills and valleys! I'm from that area originally and it's definitely more scenic than Western NY where I live now.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:44 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Pump up tire pressure to 35 psi
Full tank of gas
Hook up Battery Tender
Cover it up
Wait until Spring and fire her up.

As for front plate enforcement been without front plate over 3 years no problems. (yet).

No need to start car during storage, no need to move it or worry about flat spots on the tires.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by dvilin
As for front plate enforcement been without front plate over 3 years no problems. (yet).
Do you go through the toll booths very often? I was under the impression that's the real reason they want them on...so they can photograph you as you go through.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Syracuse is about 70 miles North of me and has harder winters (more snow). I leave the tire pressure at the recommended 30, do my once per year oil change in late November or early Dec and wash the car (although that is a brisk task at that time of year) and put the it in the garage. There is almost always one day per month where the roads are clear enough to go out for a drive. By the way, Driving is the best way to store a car. I usually put 35 to 40 miles on the car when I take it out. As long as the road is dry I take it out. The road could be dusty from the snow removal materials that NY uses or it could have some icy spots on very cold nights but I still take mine out and enjoy it. It does a great job of removing the winter blues. If below freezing washing the car isn't an option but I don't let that worry me since it is only dust. Last year was the hardest winter we have had in a long time and I got to drive the car several times per month. Winter is basically from the end of November to the beginning of March with some snows thrown in from the beginning of November to the beginning of April. I can usually drive the car most of November and most of March.

Even if you don't drive the car tire flat spotting isn't a big issue. The old Nylon Tires of the 60s would flat spot over night but the flat spots would be gone in a few miles the next day. I haven't had any tires since then that flat spotted.

As for the front plate the fine used to be $50 but it may have gone up. On top of the fine there is an $85 surcharge and they will stop you for not having the front plate. NY State has a very tight budget and got even tighter after Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee which did far more damage than Irene. It is an easy $135 in the till for the state and it gives them an excuse to stop you and check for other violations that can run up the bill. I got stopped last year and always have a front plate on now.

Bill
Old 09-19-2011, 04:34 PM
gordonboss
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG did you go to syracuse before you reached this decision? Did you go in January before you reached this decision. best advice you will ever get is DON"T GO!!!! from all so many perspectives.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:26 PM
gerryt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But on the bright side, Syacuse isn't burning down.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:35 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by GCRoberts
Do you go through the toll booths very often? I was under the impression that's the real reason they want them on...so they can photograph you as you go through.
I do not go thru toll booths often with the Vette but when I do I do not use the EZ pass, stop pay the toll and so far all is good.

Get notified of new replies

To Need tips on winter storage...moving to Syracuse

Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Mike
Rude awakening coming for you, Mike! In case you don't already know, Syracuse is the snowiest major city in the US, good news about that is that they know how to handle it, even a 2' snowfall overnight and it's likely business as usual in the AM. Front plate, in the last 12 years my "toys" haven't had a front plate, including my new GS, and I've only been questioned on it once, so likely no issue there. Storage, what I do (I have a heated garage, concrete floor) is drive the tires onto a 2' long section of 2"x12"x1" wood, plug in the CTek, and put the cover on. I checked with GM on this and they recommend NOT disconnecting the battery and NOT starting the car until you're ready to drive it in the spring. I did that with my 1,500 mile GS last fall, and in the spring it started right up, no flat spots, no problems. Just be sure you change the oil first and add some StaBil with a full tank of gas. I did call Goodyear and asked them about the tires, they said there would be no flat spots, they were right. The winters here can get pretty nasty, so be sure you have a good dependable vehicle (preferably 4WD or AWD), and invest in a snowblower, you're gonna need it. Also, lucky you, now you can join us lucky NY residents paying the highest tax rates in the US. If you need any info on the area, drop me a note, I'll try to hook you up with anything you need.
Tom
Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
Stabil in tank
Wash & wax
Trickle charger
Tires are fine these days; given compound weel/rim architecture
If you use StaBil, and you should, be sure to add to a FULL tank and then drive it for a few miles to be sure the fuel has worked its way throughout the system, before putting it to bed. I would NOT use mothballs unless you really like the odor!
Old 09-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Seafoam has proven to work better with all the corn in the gas these days, than Sta-bil. Google it.

Quick Reply: Need tips on winter storage...moving to Syracuse