C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speed automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
ultrvet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6 speed automatic transmission

I have a 2006 with a supercharger and various other mods so the car runs pretty hard -
My question is 1st gear - it seems to me that the gearing is so low on first gear that it is not really useful - since I easily spin the tires even when I start in 2nd gear - should I just forget 1st gear and always start in second?

Also, I am not sure which gear the car starts out in when not in sport mode - it seems to me that it starts in 2nd - so if that is true the only way to even get the car into 1st gear is to use the sport mode and even then you have to paddle it down to 1st since it otherwise only goes down to 2nd

I think the AT has been tuned, but I am not sure on that since I bought the car with the mods if that makes a difference - obviously that would have not have changed the gearing only the way it shifts, etc

This might be a stupid thread and if so I apologize, but I just want to make sure I am not missing something -

Thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 12:46 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

1st gear is certainly low. Traction issues with your power is not surprising. About the starting gear. In D and S it will go to 1st every time. If you are in S and then use the paddles even once, then it will only downshift as low as 2nd. You will have to manually shift it to 1st if you want to go there. Once you've used the paddle shifters, click the shifter back to D and you will be once again using 1st gear. Note that even if you flip it back to S after this, 1st gear will still be used until you use the paddles again.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:59 PM
rchbn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use 2, 4, 6, if I'm just noodling around. I use the other gears when I can open it up like on an on ramp to a 75 mile speed limit with no one in front of me! I only have an LS2 and I don't know what you guys with more and some are supercharged! Must have strong neck muscles in those cars!!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:24 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Save your money for tires and they are expensive.. A buddy of mine had a supercharger and he thinks it's so cool to spin the tires.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:49 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KWC6
Save your money for tires and they are expensive.. A buddy of mine had a supercharger and he thinks it's so cool to spin the tires.
True, some times you just can't help it.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:51 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KWC6
Spining the tires is like siting in a taxi stopped at a light. Meter is still runing but you ain't going anywhere.

Get notified of new replies

To 6 speed automatic transmission

Quick Reply: 6 speed automatic transmission