C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Ride Option Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Magnetic Ride Option Question

Recently we have seen where the Magnetic Ride was added to the Z06 and ZR1 Corvettes. I think the Magnetic Ride was introduced on the 2003 50th Anniversary Corvettes. Just very recently we see on TV that Cadillac is running an add stating that Cadillac engineered the Magnetic Ride for the current CTS-V. So, I am kind of confused. Who actually brought about the Magnetic Ride, Cadillac or Chevrolet or someone else. Thanks in advance for your opinions...
Old 09-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Here's some info. posted a few days ago.

To the best of my knowledge, Delphi/General Motors pioneered the controlled MR automobile suspension in conjunction with the Lord Corporation (a holder of numerous MR fluid and application patents). For all practical purposes Ferrari does use the Delphi/GM controlled MR suspension (on certain models) albeit with their own spin on it. Ferrari tweaked the calibration sets (algorithms) to their own specifications and most importantly they differ from Corvette's MR suspension by using a controlled MR, coil-over suspension. Corvette seems wedded to the transverse leaf springs but I wish they'd (copy Ferrari and) use a controlled MR coil-over suspension a la the Ferrari 599 and the Ferrari 599XX.

Here's a link to information from Lord Corporation:

http://www.vehicledynamics-expo.com/...y_1/burson.pdf
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1578685382-post11.html
Old 09-26-2011, 07:05 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

In that Lord document there's a sort of timeline that starts with the 2002 Cadillac.

Here's a quote from a Wikipedia document:

General Motors (in a partnership with Delphi Corporation) has developed this technology for automotive applications. It made its debut in both Cadillac (Seville STS build date on or after 1/15/2002 with RPO F55) as "Magneride" (or "MR") and Chevrolet passenger vehicles (All Corvettes made since 2003 with the F55 option code) as part of the driver selectable "Magnetic Selective Ride Control (MSRC)" system) in model year 2003. Other manufacturers have paid for the use of it in their own vehicles. As of 2007, BMW manufactures cars using their own proprietary version of this device, while Audi and Ferrari offer the MagneRide on various models.
Porsche has introduced magnetorheological engine mounts in the 2010 Porsche GT3 and GT2. At high engine revolutions, the magnetorheological engine mounts get stiffer to provide a more precise gearbox shifter feel by reducing the relative motion between the power train and chassis/body.

As of September 2010, Acura (Honda) has begun an advertising campaign highlighting its use of MR technology in passenger vehicles manufactured for the 2011 model year.
Sounds like the system made it into the 2002 Cadillac before it came out in the 2003 Vette. The Cadillac got it in Jan 2002, and the 2003 model year Vette wasn't available until later in the year 2002.

Bob
Old 09-26-2011, 07:35 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Here's a famous, often cited, article by Hib Halverson from 2003:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...s+the+50th+Car
Old 09-26-2011, 07:52 PM
SyberSaint
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

You guys never cease to amaze me on the knowledege you have about these cars. I still have not got my Vet Vert, and probably won't till this next spring. I still read everyones post just about every day. You all are awesome.

Thank you,
Dale in San Antonio
Old 09-26-2011, 08:10 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by SyberSaint
You guys never cease to amaze me on the knowledege you have about these cars. I still have not got my Vet Vert, and probably won't till this next spring. I still read everyones post just about every day. You all are awesome.

Thank you,
Dale in San Antonio
There is a tip jar under the quick link near the top of this page. You can drop a few bucks in it and PM it to folks who give you really good advice on the forum
Old 09-26-2011, 10:48 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their input on this. Paul...

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Ride Option Question

Quick Reply: Magnetic Ride Option Question