C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clay bar and rough paint question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:38 AM
hihoSilver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clay bar and rough paint question

Well, When I bought the perdy new Crystal red GS a week ago, I inspected every square inch of the paint, but I did run my hand over it. Anyway, ive been keeping it dusted until lst night I noticed the paint job wasnt smooth which at first got me overthinking it. I figure its road crap, overspray from factory etc.. I did a Meguires clay bar on my C5 when my company accidently dusted it with overspray from painting equipment. It worked great. I figure if a good hot wash doesnt work, I will clay bar it. Ive read a few posts and it seems like comparing Zaino to anything on this forum is like starting a caliber war on the handgun forum. Is it worth it to order the Zaino, or is the Meguires clay bar thats 9 bucks a the store 2 miles away just as good? Im only asking about the clay, not the wax etc...BTW With my C5, I parked under a tree at my moms for 3 nights when I stayed. Didnt notice the tree sap on the drivers window. I rolled the window up and down a few times and that crap (sap) locked up the window. That wasnt fun Sorry, I got off subject.

Last edited by hihoSilver; 10-03-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 AM
CopRodder
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy the clay down the street just as good
Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Wash with regular dawn first if paint is not smooth then clay put on some wax of your choice. Nxt 2.0 or zanio would be my 2 choices. How old is the car?
z51vett

Last edited by z51vett; 10-03-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I am wondering if the roughness you feel on your paint isn't heavy water spots?

If it is, wiping down the paint with lots of vinegar will be easier than claying the car. Just make sure you leave the vinegar on the paint for at least 10 minutes to disolve the calcium in the water spots. The rinse real good.

Use the vinegar full strength, and wipe lots of it on the car ... Wont harm you paint at all

If it's not water spots, certainly use the clay bar.

Apply wax of your choice when your finished.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clay bar from your local auto parts store is good enough. The advice given so far is good but if the clay doesn't help try some 3m Perfect-it. It's not cheap but does a great job at smoothing/cleaning the paint.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:38 AM
hihoSilver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the recommendations guys. The car is a 2011. The dealer in Grapevine did a car swap with a Houston Dealer. I wanted the Crytal red, or I would have gone with a 2012. I hear this color is no longer constrained. I guess there may not be any 2012's in crystal red? Not sure. Anyway. Going to give it a good wash first and see. When I rub with my finger, it swirls up like an oil (or maybe just my oily fingers) but the little specks feel harder then sap. If it got sap on it, then baked in under the Texas sun this summer, I could see why it would feel hard. If a clay bar and elbow grease it what it takes to get the hard to find color I wanted, and get it silky smooth, then I can handle that.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:18 PM
freeride59
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Insaino

Very suprising, the zaino fanatics haven't hijacked this tread.

Get notified of new replies

To Clay bar and rough paint question

Quick Reply: Clay bar and rough paint question