C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into getting a cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:51 AM
JanZ06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into getting a cam

Hey everyone, I'm looking into getting a cam for my 08 z06. One of the main reasons I fell in love with the z06 was after seeing a youtube video of the ligenfelter gt-21 cam. I live in maryland and was wondering if anyone knew about any laws again having an aftermarket cam in your car? I'm also looking for a good shop to take it to around the maryland, virginia, dc area. One of my friends keeps telling me to go to east coast supercharging in NJ and do their kit with a full tune. Some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody
Old 10-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JanZ06
Hey everyone, I'm looking into getting a cam for my 08 z06. One of the main reasons I fell in love with the z06 was after seeing a youtube video of the ligenfelter gt-21 cam. I live in maryland and was wondering if anyone knew about any laws again having an aftermarket cam in your car? I'm also looking for a good shop to take it to around the maryland, virginia, dc area. One of my friends keeps telling me to go to east coast supercharging in NJ and do their kit with a full tune. Some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody
I don't know of a location as I'm not from New England, but need more info:

What are your power goals for the car?
What are your drivability goals for the car?
How loud do you want it?
What others mods are on the car (or do you plan to do)? It's a good idea to get the major mods out of the way all at once if you need a tune.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

You might get more specific answers to your questions in the C6 Tech/Performance forum.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101
Old 10-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Nick996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimTN
You might get more specific answers to your questions in the C6 Tech/Performance forum.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101
.....and/or the Z06 forum.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:22 PM
g-townmach
Racer

What about www.marylandspeed.com
Old 10-04-2011, 03:27 PM
JanZ06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cromagnum
I don't know of a location as I'm not from New England, but need more info:

What are your power goals for the car?
What are your drivability goals for the car?
How loud do you want it?
What others mods are on the car (or do you plan to do)? It's a good idea to get the major mods out of the way all at once if you need a tune.
So, I have a Jeep 4 door that I use as my daily driver, but I want the vette to still have good driveability. I’ve been doing some research, and I really am liking the gt-19 cam from Lingenfelter. The gt-21 would be awesome, but I heard at low rpm’s it’s a nightmare. I’m going to call a local corvette shop called Tony’s corvette to see what they can do and also I’m going to call ECS (East Coast Supercharging) to ask them as well. My next question, since you said its best to get everything done at once is whether I should save up to buy the cam along with the Ferrara valve kit, or save up and buy some American Racing headers. All in all I just want my car to sound mean but not too raspy. I’m also going to 100% get the corsa exhaust as well. What should be next? Advice is always appreciated as I’m new to the corvette performance world.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:27 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Visit the C6 Z06 section here and you'll get tons of info/opinions. It sounds to me like your goal is~
1. Good drivability
2. Not "raspy" sounding exhaust. CORSA exhaust has no drone because it sounds "tinny."
3. ARH headers (very good product.)
4. Lingenfelter cam of some sort.
5. Upgraded valves.

How come there's no mention of heads?

I take it you don't want to go FI, otherwise, I'd say procharger or Edelbrock. E-Force comes with a warranty. This might be something to consider since you'll be "on your own" going these other routes.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
Visit the C6 Z06 section here and you'll get tons of info/opinions. It sounds to me like your goal is~
1. Good drivability
2. Not "raspy" sounding exhaust. CORSA exhaust has no drone because it sounds "tinny."
3. ARH headers (very good product.)
4. Lingenfelter cam of some sort.
5. Upgraded valves.

How come there's no mention of heads?

I take it you don't want to go FI, otherwise, I'd say procharger or Edelbrock. E-Force comes with a warranty. This might be something to consider since you'll be "on your own" going these other routes.
with regards to the Corsa exhaust. My car has a cam from England Green in Houston so I can't speak at all about the Lingenfelter cams (aside from the fact that I'm sure they are all great quality due to the name). Adding exhaust may not necessarily require it's own tune, but adding a cam will for sure, and so will adding headers and engine internals like valves. If nothing else, go ahead and get the axle back exhaust you want now then save up and get the cam/headers/valves done with your tune all at once after.

As for the head's, getting a new set installed will cost a pretty penny on its own right, but if you already have the engine pulled apart (for the valves and springs), you may as well add them at the same time and save on labor if you can afford it all at once.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:03 PM
g-townmach
Racer

Nowhere do you mention that you want to make more power. If all you want a cam for is the sound, I can give you mod for that... For FREE!!

Open you hood and disconnect a vacuum line. Will make a good choppy idle.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Don 79 TA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure about laws on the cam, but changing exhaust from factory (aka headers) is not technically legal
but each state may have differences in that, but i believe the exhaust is federal

Get notified of new replies

To Looking into getting a cam

Quick Reply: Looking into getting a cam