C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Radio sux!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:52 PM
alohaalex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Radio sux!

Are corvette's radios cheap radios? I have the navigation system/radio and I hear a noise in the back ground in every radio station, it sounds like the radio has poor signal and this happens all over town. I also have a Titan and I drive the it to the same places that I drive the corvette but the titan radio sound better than the corvette one. I do not have a problem when I play a cd so i know for sure the speaker are fine and they have a good qulity sound. I took the car to the chevy dealer, they did not have a clue what is going on and they replaced the antena just to see if this helps but It did not and now they are telling me that they do not know what to do next because they never had someone with a problem like this before and they can't duplicate the problem in the shop. Does anybody had a problem like this before?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:16 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

No problems with my non Nav radio or my Kenwood replacement
Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Lizer1
Advanced

My 2010 GS has the same issue with distortion coming through the speakers at low volume. It is so annoying I rarely turn the radio on.
I had it back to dealer but they couldn't figure it out and GM was of no help at all on the subject.
I know most of the people at the dealership and was asked by the manager if I bought the car to listen to the radio or the engine at full song. I had to agree and will put up with it until they find a solution.
Brad
Old 10-05-2011, 10:23 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

2011 GS coupe here. I have a feeling the AM antenna sucks, because I do get some low hiss on the AM band. Haven't been listening to much FM, don't know if that's affected.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:35 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 275 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Originally Posted by Lizer1
My 2010 GS has the same issue with distortion coming through the speakers at low volume. It is so annoying I rarely turn the radio on.
I had it back to dealer but they couldn't figure it out and GM was of no help at all on the subject.
I know most of the people at the dealership and was asked by the manager if I bought the car to listen to the radio or the engine at full song. I had to agree and will put up with it until they find a solution.
Brad
Brad
If you bought the car new and you and everyone else had the same problem then I would say that is normal. Whether you bought the vehicle to look at it, listen to it, drive it or whatever it is no concern of theirs. Don't sit back and let the stealer ride rough shod over you. It's your vehicle you paid good money for it tell them to fix it. If you don't keep on their tail they won't be actively looking for a solution for you.
If the dealer does not know what to do escalate it to the area Chevy Rep. Keep going till it's fixed and you are happy.
Mike
Old 10-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Lizer1
Advanced

Ken,
I have full faith that they will come up with a solution when I bring it back for the end of season service. Not only am I a customer of theirs but the owners, most managers and quite a few of the associates are customers of my company also.
I had heard that the service manager came down pretty hard on the service writer because it wasn't rectified this spring. If it came down to it, I have the cell phone and email of our zone rep but don't feel the need to get him involved at this point.
After reading all the bad reports on the forum about some dealers I am glad to be working with my local dealership who have always gone above and beyond to make sure we are satisfied. There have been quite a few occasions where the service writer or manager has covered repairs up to 60k miles on some of our vehicles.
I know where you are coming from as sometimes only squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:04 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

When car was brand new radio couldn't hold a stations signal on FM. It got replaced with a reconditioned radio which solved that problem but it is not a good sounding system.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:20 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a search...

Bottom line, radios in Corvettes suck. Go aftermarket, or beef it up with better speakers/amp.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:13 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Do a search...

Bottom line, radios in Corvettes suck. Go aftermarket, or beef it up with better speakers/amp.

I agree but you may loose that auto volume on headunit that increases volume automatically when road noise goes up if that feature is important to you.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:39 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
I agree but you may loose that auto volume on headunit that increases volume automatically when road noise goes up if that feature is important to you.
My GF accomplished that. As the road noise, engine acceleration goes up, so do her screams

Old 10-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

If you are getting a buzz or some other background noise it sounds like there is a problem in the power connection to the radio or with the radio. The Nav/Radio in my 08 doesn't have any background noises. They are the same model radios so yours shouldn't have any either. It isn't normal and the Vette Radios aren't that bad.

Bill
Old 10-06-2011, 01:10 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by keyplyr
My GF accomplished that. As the road noise, engine acceleration goes up, so do her screams

Old 10-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a 2011 GS with the non-Bose / no-Nav audio system. I get pretty good reception from the radio.

The problem with the audio system in any of these new Corvettes (to include the optional Bose system) is really not with the radio, or the CD, or the preamp in the head unit ... What the problem is, is the ****-poor power amp and low quality speakers used in the audio system.

Replace the power amp and the speakers with quality components, and you will hear a very big difference in sound quality.

I have had enough of this OEM audio system.

I plan on disconnecting the center dash speaker which is pretty much useless. Then I am going to replace the door speakers, the rear speakers and add a Polk Audio subwoofer. Then powering it all with a single 5-channel JL Audio amp.

Really kind of shamefull that the audio system in my Camry sounds better than the audio system in my Corvette.

oh well
Old 10-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Wezel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
If you research this you'll find that it doesn't increase the volume it tweaks up the "tone" controls only. I find it a not very effective feature. Too much road noise from the big tires for that wimpy technique to overcome.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:59 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I have a 2011 GS with the non-Bose / no-Nav audio system. I get pretty good reception from the radio.

The problem with the audio system in any of these new Corvettes (to include the optional Bose system) is really not with the radio, or the CD, or the preamp in the head unit ... What the problem is, is the ****-poor power amp and low quality speakers used in the audio system.

Replace the power amp and the speakers with quality components, and you will hear a very big difference in sound quality.

I have had enough of this OEM audio system.

I plan on disconnecting the center dash speaker which is pretty much useless. Then I am going to replace the door speakers, the rear speakers and add a Polk Audio subwoofer. Then powering it all with a single 5-channel JL Audio amp.

Really kind of shamefull that the audio system in my Camry sounds better than the audio system in my Corvette.

oh well
I have a similiar unit on 2005 model. It isn't the BOSE model or at least it doesn't say BOSE on speakers but it still doesn't sound good. My 23 year old stereo system with cassette tape with small ADS amp sounds better.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

"Are corvette's radios cheap radios?"

Not at all....if you remove the interface you'll find the core radio component.

I've read more complaints about the NAV/radio system. I'm not an audiophile but FWIW my non-NAV radio seems to work fine. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Nick996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2011 GS with the BOSE (non-nav) and I HATE the "white noise" I get at low volume. I have to turn the volume up for it to go away. Not too mention the BOSE systems just sounds like total crap.

On a side note.... I would REALLY like too hear from people who have gone aftermarket but didn't spend a fortune to replace to POS stereo/speakers in the car.

Plus what systems look like installed in the center console. Do they match the interior and look good or do they totally look out of place?

Get notified of new replies

To My Radio sux!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

alohaalex – could you please send me a private message with your VIN? I want to see if I can find out any more information about this.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 10-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Brad - I see that you spoke with GM. Did you have a case set up for you? If so, could you please send it to me in a PM?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 10-06-2011, 02:41 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I have the bose system and never had an issue with static. I did have distortion at even moderate volumes. This was helped a lot by dissconnecting the center speaker. It is much much better and will do until I get around to upgrading the system.

Quick Reply: My Radio sux!