C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MaxJax Installed. Quick Question w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Eminitrader
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default MaxJax Installed. Quick Question w/Pics

Well I got my MaxJax installed today - and I am pretty happy. I paid a local lift service to pick it up and install it for me. I just didnt feel comfortable doing it.

Anyways.

I have a bunch of pics. But here is my question. We did 115" on the MaxJax. You get any closer and you can't open the door. In fact at 115 you can squeeze out.

If I went to 125 I was concerned the hoists would not make it to the preferred jacking points.

Well, it turns out, that at 115" it STILL doesn't make it to the preferred jacking points.

So I used Pucks and lifted it up just fine. The hoist pads wouldnt fit - either to short or too long. Tried moving the car a few times and this is what we ended up with.

So the MaxJax supports the car with the pucks! Does anyone have any problem with this? I am new to jacking - so if you dont like it for any reason - please let me know.

We lifted it 5 or 6 times and it is SOLID AS a rock, but I really like to hear it from you guys.

Let me know what you guys think:

Old 10-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

In the second picture down what is the black thing next to the puck? Is that the pad that comes with the lift like shown in the bottom picture? If so I would remove both of them and make sure the extendable arms are pushed all the way in. I don't think you have any problems using the pucks the way you are using them. I have seen dealerships use them the same way. Looks like you could have really spread the posts apart another foot or two if you had wanted to or if you want to in the future.

That is the beauty of the MaxJax you can have multiple locations for the movable post.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-07-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

You have to move the lift pad to hit the puck or there's going to be damage, maybe the jacks are too close together and have to be reinstalled. Hope not.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:48 PM
1fastbob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take the lift pads off of my MaxJax to lift mine. I don't use pucks I use 2x4 pine cut in about a 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" square. I am pretty sure my posts are set 125" apart and I have to place my lift blocks on the MaxJax arms as you do, but I lift mine at the rocker panel lifting points both front and rear. I have had no issues and I am very satisfied with the lift. If my ceiling was higher in the garage I would have purchased a different lift. I also can't use the MaxJax pads on my wife's Infinity G37X so I use my wooden "pucks" at the rocker panel pinch weld lift points. The MaxJax pads do work on my Ford F-150.

I'll give you a tip...do NOT use any air tools to tighten or remove the anchor bolts from the floor as they can rattle the anchors loose. Use only hand tools and snug them to about 50 lb. ft. or so. If you have any other questions send me a PM and I'll give you my telephone number and we can discuss it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-for-c6-2.html Look at post 32 for pictures of my home built safety straps for my MaxJax.

Bob

Last edited by 1fastbob; 10-07-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Eminitrader
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
In the second picture down what is the black thing next to the puck? Is that the pad that comes with the lift like shown in the bottom picture? If so I would remove both of them and make sure the extendable arms are pushed all the way in. I don't think you have any problems using the pucks the way you are using them. I have seen dealerships use them the same way. Looks like you could have really spread the posts apart another foot or two if you had wanted to or if you want to in the future.

That is the beauty of the MaxJax you can have multiple locations for the movable post.

Bill
Yaeh the way it is now at 115" I cant get the pads on the pucks. I can get 2 of them on but not the rear 2. The rear two were sitting of course on the pucks but on the face of the lift - the thicker part of the lift.

I may see if I can move it another foot and just use the pads on the pucks on the rocker panels. I thought they had to go to the middle thats why I had em so darn close...[/B]
It still seems very safe, but think i'll move them
Old 10-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Eminitrader
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Bob. Yaeh all 4 are on the rocker panels - just the pads don't reach them. I have to lift on the broad part of the lifting arm. I am gonna take off the pads altogether as at 115" they are kinda in the way, at least in the rear.

I like the 115 as I can park 2 cars in there without moving the posts - but I may take em out...
Old 10-07-2011, 08:13 PM
wide one
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like your floor coating. Did you paint your floor to match the car or did you buy a car to match the floor ? Love to have a lift like that. How high is your ceiling to get another car under it ?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:13 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Looks good. Nice looking garage too.

I hope to get my Maxjax installed this winter.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Must be ignorant, but what is the purpose of this in your garage? It seems you can't lift the car up high enough to even stand under it to do an oil change or whatever. Educate me...
Old 10-07-2011, 08:33 PM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Bobbyosto
Must be ignorant, but what is the purpose of this in your garage? It seems you can't lift the car up high enough to even stand under it to do an oil change or whatever. Educate me...
You don't need to stand. You can sit on a roller chair. Sitting or standing you are still looking up. Even for the little things this would be great. Way better then getting the car on four jack stands.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:35 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
100%

This is exactly what I do with my 2 post.

The pads on the lift are only used for my trucks.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Eminitrader
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wide one
Like your floor coating. Did you paint your floor to match the car or did you buy a car to match the floor ? Love to have a lift like that. How high is your ceiling to get another car under it ?
Actually its dumb luck. I did that floor about 2 years ago when the house was built. Was actually thinking about redoing it as it gets SLICK when it is wet!

Now I am not going to bother. It is what it is. Thanks for the compliment!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Eminitrader
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

UGG. Just lifted the car up. And it is spewing hydraulic oil out of the reservoir tank! Anyone have this problem?

Anyways, moving the arms all the way in, and removing the black pads. I can get all 4 arms on the pucks about perfect to lift it. So shouldnt have to move them.

BUt I do have to put some padding on the drivers side jack - that's a door scratch waiting to happen!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Originally Posted by d.medic
You don't need to stand. You can sit on a roller chair. Sitting or standing you are still looking up. Even for the little things this would be great. Way better then getting the car on four jack stands.
I agree, but isn't this expensive way to accomplish that? How many times can one change his oil or fool around under the car to make this a good investment?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Eminitrader
UGG. Just lifted the car up. And it is spewing hydraulic oil out of the reservoir tank! Anyone have this problem?

Anyways, moving the arms all the way in, and removing the black pads. I can get all 4 arms on the pucks about perfect to lift it. So shouldnt have to move them.

BUt I do have to put some padding on the drivers side jack - that's a door scratch waiting to happen!
Pull in until the front tires are next to the posts. Exit the car, leave it out of gear. Grab the rear tire and roll it up a little into position. The car is very light and rolls very easily. No need to risk the door ding trying to squeeze out.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

I agree, but isn't this expensive way to accomplish that? How many times can one change his oil or fool around under the car to make this a good investment?
A Corvette is not a 'good investment'. I miss your point.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:44 PM
LawyerJoe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF??? no big screen or beer/wine cooler??? rookie
at least tell us you have a/c in the garage

Get notified of new replies

To MaxJax Installed. Quick Question w/Pics

Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Originally Posted by EDinPA
A Corvette is not a 'good investment'. I miss your point.
Point is, you spend alot of money for this and how much use would one get out of it. I would not have any use for it, but I know some people like to fool around with this kind of stuff.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:00 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Point is, you spend alot of money for this and how much use would one get out of it. I would not have any use for it, but I know some people like to fool around with this kind of stuff.
Pride in doing your own work and avoiding having a dealer mess up your car.

I put one in just so I could take all four wheels off and take them to the tire shop when it's time.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Originally Posted by EDinPA
Pride in doing your own work and avoiding having a dealer mess up your car.

I put one in just so I could take all four wheels off and take them to the tire shop when it's time.
Your points are well taken, but it's just not for me.

Quick Reply: MaxJax Installed. Quick Question w/Pics