C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New style MGW installed - rattle when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:40 PM
dobber
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New style MGW installed - rattle when accelerating

Searched for a cure and found a lot of posts about the old style shifter rattling. I just bought and installed a new MGW, stayed with the stock ****, and it rattles under acceleration. If I put some pressure on the shifter when accelerating the rattle goes away until I move my hand. Also, the rattle continues even after the car is warm. I read all of the instructions, including having the DVD open on my PC while I was doing the install. Some posts said to live with the rattle because it is a variance in the trannys of the vettes. Some will rattle, some wont. But mine didn't rattle at all with the stock shifter and it does now. All of the bolts are definitely tight. I plan to take off the stock **** and drive it like that to see if the rattle is fixed. If it is I can try what some others have done, put some silicone caulk or something in the **** and put it back on. If it still rattles with the **** off I will call MGW to see if they can help me.

Unless anyone else has had this issue with the new MGW design and can give me the fix?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:02 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have the same exact problem. stock **** on stock shifter just barely rattled under full throttle. now stock **** on short throw shifter rattles like a snake even under partial throttle. same thing squeze the hell outta it and it goes away. pulled **** off no more noise. im goin to solve problem by installing a delrin **** and ditch stocker.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:06 PM
r2swift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the mgw and stock **** no rattle, you should get shrink tubbing and put it on the top part of the lever and put your **** back on.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Capt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how long did the install take?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 AM
dobber
Instructor

Originally Posted by Capt
how long did the install take?
Maybe 1.5 hours, 2 tops. Second time would be faster. It was an easy install though. I took my time and reread every step in the instructions. It is definitely not a job I would want to do in the summer! I was sweating and it was comfortable outside.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:43 AM
dobber
Instructor

Originally Posted by smurfkiller
i have the same exact problem. stock **** on stock shifter just barely rattled under full throttle. now stock **** on short throw shifter rattles like a snake even under partial throttle. same thing squeze the hell outta it and it goes away. pulled **** off no more noise. im goin to solve problem by installing a delrin **** and ditch stocker.
Did you get your **** on exactly straight? Mine is just a little off, but I have tightened everything as far as I can get it.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Ghost 23
Pro

Received 289 Likes on 118 Posts

I have the same problem.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

It seems to be a hit or miss situation. Some get it,some don't.

I did,on two seperate cars. Just wait till it gets winter time.....it's ten times worse. And I can tell you right now it won't ratlle without the ****,I found that out awhile back. I tried everything I could think of to insulate the **** from the shaft,but the rattle never left.

Think of your shifter as a tuning fork. The stock unit has insulation built in so it's nice & quiet,the tradeoff being a "mushy" feel. The MGW,or Hurst,or B&M, have no insulation,so they feel more precise.

The tradeoff is the rattle.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:48 AM
dobber
Instructor

Originally Posted by redzone
It seems to be a hit or miss situation. Some get it,some don't.

I did,on two seperate cars. Just wait till it gets winter time.....it's ten times worse. And I can tell you right now it won't ratlle without the ****,I found that out awhile back. I tried everything I could think of to insulate the **** from the shaft,but the rattle never left.

Think of your shifter as a tuning fork. The stock unit has insulation built in so it's nice & quiet,the tradeoff being a "mushy" feel. The MGW,or Hurst,or B&M, have no insulation,so they feel more precise.

The tradeoff is the rattle.
Ok, what if I buy one of MGW's shifters, do you know if that solves it?
Old 10-08-2011, 10:20 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

Installed mine last week with the stock **** and so far no rattle.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Jermo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

Try some teflon tape on the shifter where the **** sits on, I had the same problem, the tape worked fine for me, but I did ended up switching out the shift **** to and old school type ****.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:44 AM
PeterSG
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

I had the same problem with the OEM **** on my MGW.

Eliminated 98% of the rattle with the MGW gripper shifter ****.

You will need to replace the upper shaft (~$25) also in order to install this ****.

http://www.mgwltd.com/corvette_gripper_shift_knob.shtml

And, I learned again that ***** are the best shape for shift *****.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:45 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dobber
Ok, what if I buy one of MGW's shifters, do you know if that solves it?
I thought we were talking about an MGW shifter?

Originally Posted by Jermo
Try some teflon tape on the shifter where the **** sits on, I had the same problem, the tape worked fine for me, but I did ended up switching out the shift **** to and old school type ****.
I tried the teflon tape with no success. I think the problem with the stock shifter rattling is because it free floats on the shaft with only the small set screw holding it in place.

If the OP gets the MGW handle that allows for a threaded **** it will cure his problem. That's what I'd have done if I hadn't previously had my stock **** covered in Alcantara.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:45 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ok delrin shift **** got here sooner then i thought. installed and no more rattle.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:05 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default Take it to George !

Damn dude ..................... You're due west from Augusta ! Looks to me like the perfect excuse for a back roads day trip. Four years ago I drove from Dallas rather than let a shop here do the install. Then drove up to the Dragon just for fun.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:44 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I had a rattle with my MGW shifter. I finally figured out that it was not the shifter at all. It was the OEM ring in the shifter boot that was making the noise. I took it off and went with an MGW shift **** and no more rattle.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:34 AM
dobber
Instructor

Originally Posted by redzone
I thought we were talking about an MGW shifter?

I tried the teflon tape with no success. I think the problem with the stock shifter rattling is because it free floats on the shaft with only the small set screw holding it in place.

If the OP gets the MGW handle that allows for a threaded **** it will cure his problem. That's what I'd have done if I hadn't previously had my stock **** covered in Alcantara.
Yes, I am. My bad, meant to say what if I now add the mgw shift **** on top of my mgw shifter. Thanks for all the tips everyone. I will try the Teflon tape first cause it's the easiest. Then maybe the shrink wrap, then I will get a new ****. I can't stand the rattle. The top snaps and pops enough for me. That is next on my list!

Get notified of new replies

To New style MGW installed - rattle when accelerating

Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Ghost 23
Pro

Received 289 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by smurfkiller
ok delrin shift **** got here sooner then i thought. installed and no more rattle.
Where did you get the delrin ****? Which one did you get? Pix?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dobber
Searched for a cure and found a lot of posts about the old style shifter rattling. I just bought and installed a new MGW, stayed with the stock ****, and it rattles under acceleration. If I put some pressure on the shifter when accelerating the rattle goes away until I move my hand. Also, the rattle continues even after the car is warm. I read all of the instructions, including having the open on my PC while I was doing the install. Some posts said to live with the rattle because it is a variance in the trannys of the vettes. Some will rattle, some wont. But mine didn't rattle at all with the stock shifter and it does now. All of the bolts are definitely tight. I plan to take off the stock **** and drive it like that to see if the rattle is fixed. If it is I can try what some others have done, put some silicone caulk or something in the **** and put it back on. If it still rattles with the **** off I will call MGW to see if they can help me.

Unless anyone else has had this issue with the new MGW design and can give me the fix?
Is your car a base model? If it is a Z06, replace the Z06 shifter box by a shifter box of the base model.
I have an MGW short throw shifter for one week, no rattles, and it shifts superb!
Old 10-09-2011, 11:16 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Mine rattles a bit on hard acceleration but it doesnt really bother me. I am going to try my MGW gripper shifter and see if it makes a difference, when I get around to it.

Quick Reply: New style MGW installed - rattle when accelerating