C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Tighten Battery Connections?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default How to Tighten Battery Connections?

The shop just installed a new battery in our 2009 coupe. Today I was checking things and discovered the + battery cable is loose on the post.

The little nut seems tight, at least it won't tighten with normal force. So how do I tighten that strange clamp they use?

The Service Manual also tells me to record the radio theft code and radio presets, but everyone here seems to remove the terminals or install a new battery without problems, right?

But how do I tighten that durned clamp?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:08 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I would take it off and make sure it's the right nut from the factory that has a cone shape to it. If when the shop took it off they lost it and put a regular nut back on it will never get tight. Unfortunately if it is the wrong nut you will have to buy the entire cable to get the right one--not cheap.
The radio pre-sets will not disappear and there is no theft deterrent.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:10 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I bet they lost the correct nut and used a regular one. The proper nut has a conical shape on the bottom to push out the clamp. The clamp they used on the Vette is a complete POS. I changed mine out last weekend, took off the factory one and attached a side bolt tightening one.

I bought one of the nuts on Ebay, a guy sells just the nut on there for like $5
Old 10-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

It certainly looks like the correct nut, I'd heard about that problem and compared carefully before and after.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:32 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
...Unfortunately if it is the wrong nut you will have to buy the entire cable to get the right one--not cheap.
I've mentioned this before, in many threads. And I believe it's true if you go to a Chevy parts dept. But...

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
...The proper nut has a conical shape on the bottom to push out the clamp... I bought one of the nuts on Ebay, a guy sells just the nut on there for like $5
I was skeptical -- especially since they are advertised as "Chevrolet GMC Truck SUV Battery Cable Cam Nut".

But I ordered 2 nuts anyway, just for spares.

The nuts I received are IDENTICAL to the nuts on my 09 C6 battery clamp.

Cheap insurance.

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 10-13-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for the help, but...

I did some more looking, discovered the clamp is loose on the battery post because about 1/3 of the metal oval that the nut seats onto, is missing. The tech probably over-tightened it when he put in the battery.

Now I need to get a replacement clamp. The dealership who installed the battery will probably pay for the entire new harness with clamp (parts dept says + and - cables are all part of one harness), but I need the car in a hurry. And probably don't want them messing with it again anyway.

I've startd a new thread about which replacement clamp to use, please end this thread.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 10-14-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:44 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I would take it off and make sure it's the right nut from the factory that has a cone shape to it. If when the shop took it off they lost it and put a regular nut back on it will never get tight. Unfortunately if it is the wrong nut you will have to buy the entire cable to get the right one--not cheap.
The radio pre-sets will not disappear and there is no theft deterrent.
Couldnt he make the terminal bigger with lead tape. I think plumbing supply stores have it. Just a wrap or 2 and the nut will tighten enough to keep it tight. Ive done it plenty of times in the past. But maybe thats Old school

Clif
Old 10-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts
Tech Contributor

They also have lead post cap sleeves that increase the diameter ...
Old 10-13-2011, 11:20 PM
bit_image
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
I've mentioned this before, in many threads. And I believe it's true if you go to a Chevy parts dept. But...

I was skeptical -- especially since they are advertised as "Chevrolet GMC Truck SUV Battery Cable Cam Nut".

Cheap insurance.

THANK YOU! I lost this nut when I reinstalled my battery the other day. I used your ebay link to purchase another one. I love this forum!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot

Cheap insurance.
Perhaps its a hard lesson learned, but the cam nut does not need to be completely removed, and if you lose it then you will have major difficulty securing the battery terminal to the post. I learned the hard way.

What I did with my father's help was for one of us to clamp channel locks tight against the terminal with the terminal on the post while the other cranked a standard nut down on the terminal, and then we backed up another nut against the first nut. This worked until I was able to find the cam nut on the auction site... thanks to this forum. CO Lightfoot, if it was your post that I followed, thank you.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:18 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Old 10-14-2011, 07:24 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
It certainly looks like the correct nut, I'd heard about that problem and compared carefully before and after.
Jim,
No one has ever been happy with those clamps that GM adopted for the C6 gen when they went back to top post batteries. As you may remember, the C5 gen used side terminals just like those vettes dating back 30+ years. My 06Z's battery was acting like it was going bad after just one year. Took it into the dealer who reported back that it was simply loose battery cables at the battery. If the nut appears to be the OEM nut, I would just retighten carefully. I know no reason why the nut needs to come off completely in the first place to take the lug off the post. That would have been a shop mistake IMO.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:29 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
........I did some more looking, discovered the clamp is loose on the battery post because about 1/3 of the metal oval that the nut seats onto, is missing. The tech probably over-tightened it when he put in the battery..........
Unfortunately another example of what can happen when someone else works on your car. I know these clamps are flimsey so I am always cautious not to over-tighten. I hope you can get this replaced easily.

Last edited by GOLD72; 10-14-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Just get a clamp at the auto store until the proper one can be fitted.

Get notified of new replies

To How to Tighten Battery Connections?

Quick Reply: How to Tighten Battery Connections?