C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats with the OIL SMELL ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Armored Saint
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats with the OIL SMELL ???

After changing the oil in my 07 with 15k miles, I am getting a burning oil type of smell in the cabin while at a complete stop. I absolutely did not spill any oil and have no visible leaks or any evidence on the garage floor or dip stick. Its been 250 miles since the oil change and still pretty strong smell when warmed up at a complete stop. Its driving me nuts and I will admit I am kinda OCD about such things. Give a shout if you have any idea what is going on or how I can put a stop to it. I did switch from Pennzoil back to Mobil1 since Pen was temp out of stock, really doubt that would do anything.

Last edited by Armored Saint; 10-17-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:09 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's pretty hard not to get some oil on the exhaust when changing oil, and it stays for quite a while. Changing brands would not do it. Might want to check that your filter isn't leaking by spun/smashed gasket; and also check that the old gasket came off with the old filter and still is not in place with the new one.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 PM
lennieorr
Advanced

I have the same problem with my 08. I have read other posts and tried cleaning excess grease from the plug wires, making sure the oil is not over full, and looked everywhere for a leak. Took it in to the dealer for some other problems right after I bought it and they told me it was the dressing the dealer used to detail the engine. That was three months ago. If that was it it would have burned off by now.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 AM
appadv
Advanced

Sounds like oil on the exhaust. Whenever I remove the oil filter, some oil tends to get on the exhaust if the filter is spun off too quickly. The first time I was like WTF is that burning smell, the next time I made sure to wipe off the exhaust after doing an oil change.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:55 AM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I had similar issue on my 08'. GM dealer found a leak on the oil pan gasket. Under extended warranty and fixed.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:23 PM
lennieorr
Advanced

I don't believe it is from the oil filter. Been too long since I changed the oil. Even if I did get some on the exhaust it would have burned off by now. I will double check the oil pan.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2011, 08:51 PM
olzeek
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I once had a mysterious oil leak occur on one of my cars. it turned out to be a loosened oil filter that I must not have cranked down hard enough. It wasnt a Vette though. Might be worth a check.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:35 AM
lennieorr
Advanced

Already checked the oil filter. It is fine. There is a stain on the oil pan but it seems from other threads that this is a common problem. No oil drips on the pan,.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Mlo
Advanced

I just changed mine and it is doing the samething now!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Jimmy Mac!
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Same on my 2010 Coupe. After the first oil change at the dealer, the smell was there at every stop light and stop sign. I took it back to the dealer and just looking at it on the lift and from above, we saw no evidence of over fill. After a month, it went away. Where was it? I have no clue. Was it annoying? Yes.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:42 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,908 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Bet is is from oil on pipes. The pipes do not get that hot under normal driving. Wipe the pipes down with a cleaner after oil change, I do.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
Bet is is from oil on pipes. The pipes do not get that hot under normal driving. Wipe the pipes down with a cleaner after oil change, I do.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:26 PM
John T.
Heel & Toe

Default Burning oil smell

I have an '11 Grand Sport. I took it to the dealer at about 2,500 miles, just to be a good boy and get an early oil change. Ever since, I've had the smell of burning oil waft into the cabin when at a stop and the engine is warm. There are no oil spots on the ground. I've driven over 1,000 miles since the problem surfaced, hoping for a burn-off, but no luck. It's at the dealer now, for the third time. They've inspected and re-inspected, repeatedly washed the undercarriage, etc., replaced the cabin filter, and even douched out the AC system with some sort of perfume-smelling solvent. That "bouquet" may be even worse than the oil smell. Still, nothing's helped. The dealer is now supposedly awaiting input from their "engineers."

I've seen several posts from guys with similar experience. Anyone ever actually find and correct the problem?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Default oil

John T.,
I'm sorry to hear this. I'm going to document the problem. Let us know what you find out.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

Originally Posted by John T.
I have an '11 Grand Sport. I took it to the dealer at about 2,500 miles, just to be a good boy and get an early oil change. Ever since, I've had the smell of burning oil waft into the cabin when at a stop and the engine is warm. There are no oil spots on the ground. I've driven over 1,000 miles since the problem surfaced, hoping for a burn-off, but no luck. It's at the dealer now, for the third time. They've inspected and re-inspected, repeatedly washed the undercarriage, etc., replaced the cabin filter, and even douched out the AC system with some sort of perfume-smelling solvent. That "bouquet" may be even worse than the oil smell. Still, nothing's helped. The dealer is now supposedly awaiting input from their "engineers."

I've seen several posts from guys with similar experience. Anyone ever actually find and correct the problem?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:59 PM
lennieorr
Advanced

I have tried cleaning the exhaust, valve covers, oil pan, and any other parts I can get to with brake clean with no improvement. Problem is very annoying. This is the first Chevy I have owned since 1972. Not impressed with the quality. Probably my last GM product.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Jimsan
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
Old 10-24-2011, 03:59 PM
lennieorr
Advanced

I tried cleaning the exhaust with brake cleaner. No help

Get notified of new replies

To Whats with the OIL SMELL ???

Old 10-24-2011, 05:13 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't changed the oil on my vette yet but soon. I'll try a trick I use on one of my bikes during oil changes. Take some aluminum foil and place it over the exhaust pipe(s). Once the filter is off and back in remove the foil. Any oil spilled/splatterd should be on the foil and not exhaust.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:21 PM
John T.
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Burning oil smell

Thanks to everyone for their responses, including Justin. I'm glad someone at GM monitors this site.

As for the smell in my car, two things jump out at me. My Vette had a new car smell when I sent it in for the oil change. It came out, the very same day, with that burning oil smell. The odor's still there almost 1,000 miles later. How do you screw up an oil change? The timing, though, raises red flags with me. The other thing is that the dealer has "detailed" the underside of the car a couple times now, without effect.

Tell you one thing: I won't sit back and just accept a brand new car that smells that way. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the persistent smell of burning oil signals some kind of oil leak. That means some sort of mechanical defect. Add heat, as necessary to produce the smell, and you create a potential fire hazard. That's a matter of personal safety, and it's unacceptable.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Mlo
Advanced

I know I didn't spill any oil on mine when I changed it and still a smell. I've tried cleaning just incase and still no improvement.

Its been about a thousand miles for me now aswell. I drive my car pretty hard and the smell has finaly gone away!

Could it be an over filling problem? I know I put a little over the required 5.5 quarts.

Quick Reply: Whats with the OIL SMELL ???