C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C6- Dead battery and using Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:05 PM
jhauswirth
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New C6- Dead battery and using Battery Tender

I just bought a new C6 this weekend and while we were doing the orientation we must have ran the battery down to the point the car wouldn't start. The car had been sitting on the lot for a couple months.
They jumped me and I carefully drove home to avoid killing it (manual trans). I traded in my '99 C5 which I used a battery tender on for probably 9 years. So I just put the battery tender on and checked it in the morning. It was still red (usually my C5 would be green by morning) and at the end of the day it still hadn't turned green. I took it off and started the car- everything seems fine. Do you think it was drained so low it was taking a lot longer than I'm used to? I can't imagine the battery tender would have crapped out. I'm pretty used to this, I washed my C5 last weekend to get it ready to trade it in and during the time I was cleaning out the interior its battery died, so I had to drive my 4x4 across my lawn to jump it.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Probably not much help, but I can tell you when I put my Vette away for the Winter and the battery Voltage is 14.4, it takes the Battery tender about 7 hours to turn green.
This is on a 3+ year old battery.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Maybe just a bad battery, dead cell or something...Take it in and have her checked.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I would return to the dealer and ask for a new battery. Once it's dead it will never be the same.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:15 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jhauswirth
I just bought a new C6 this weekend and while we were doing the orientation we must have ran the battery down to the point the car wouldn't start. The car had been sitting on the lot for a couple months.
They jumped me and I carefully drove home to avoid killing it (manual trans). I traded in my '99 C5 which I used a battery tender on for probably 9 years. So I just put the battery tender on and checked it in the morning. It was still red (usually my C5 would be green by morning) and at the end of the day it still hadn't turned green. I took it off and started the car- everything seems fine. Do you think it was drained so low it was taking a lot longer than I'm used to? I can't imagine the battery tender would have crapped out. I'm pretty used to this, I washed my C5 last weekend to get it ready to trade it in and during the time I was cleaning out the interior its battery died, so I had to drive my 4x4 across my lawn to jump it.
If I don't start mine for a few weeks and then put the Battery Tender Jr on, it takes 2 days plus to get to steady green. My Vette is an 06, and 2 years ago I replaced the original battery and put that one in an old car that sits next to it. That 6 year old battery only takes about 12 hours to get to full green in the 60's car. Nothing going on in that car when the engine is off.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:20 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Says here typical automotive battery is about 50 amp hours. 1 amp battery charger for 50 hours. Very rough calc. But it give it 2-3 days before I give up. Once charged, see how well it holds. http://batterytender.com/resources/f...sked-questions
Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

As jed says - the batt tender is a very low amperage charger. Give it 2 or 3 days.

even better - vet4les's advice - once it's DEAD, it will never be the same. Try to get them to replace it now.

We have (3) '08 Chevy's. The battery failed in 2 of them ( the Ho and the Silverado)
Old 10-17-2011, 10:17 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Probably not much help, but I can tell you when I put my Vette away for the Winter and the battery Voltage is 14.4, it takes the Battery tender about 7 hours to turn green.
This is on a 3+ year old battery.
Is that with the engine running? If so, then your alternator is doing it's job.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:57 PM
shootincyclone
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

These cars have been known to eat batteries. If you search on this topic you will find a lot. There is a lot going on electronically even when you are not in it.

Go get yourself a new battery and call it good.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:49 AM
candlemuse
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 battery tenders on 2 cars . One of the battery tenders just went red . Battery was fine and the problem was with battery tender which was less than a year old. I could not get any response from any of the contact info on the battery tender warranty paper , so just bought a new one and replaced it.

Good luck
Old 10-18-2011, 02:10 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I would return to the dealer and ask for a new battery. Once it's dead it will never be the same.

Who knows how many times it was completely drained. They are not deep-cycle batteries.

It's a new car, they owe you a new battery.

Congrats.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:12 AM
greengo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by **** Jockey

Who knows how many times it was completely drained. They are not deep-cycle batteries.

Congrats.

Get an OPTIMA.....
I had recurrent battery problems (3 Delco) and none after I got an Optima
Old 10-18-2011, 04:33 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Personally, I would not trust it even if you can get it charged up. Sitting on the lot for months it may have been drained dead many times. It's a recipe for getting stranded. I would replace it.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Fat Mike
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 730 Likes on 610 Posts

If you don't have one, I suggest you buy a volt meter and measure the battery voltage. You can buy an inexpensive one from Radio Shack (or an auto parts store). A fully charged battery ought to measure approximately 13.8 - 14.2 volts. By measuring the voltage, you can quickly tell if you have any worries. At least about the battery.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM
golferdude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foremaw
Personally, I would not trust it even if you can get it charged up. Sitting on the lot for months it may have been drained dead many times. It's a recipe for getting stranded. I would replace it.

I've been struggling with with my OEM battery not starting the car after just a few days of sitting since I took delivery about 2 years ago. First thing I did was buy a battery tender w/desulfation feature, but that made little or no difference. It did at least ensure the car would start every time leaving the garage, but I still always had to carry a jumper pack "just in case." When having the battery tender connected for a week straight made no difference in the "standby" time of the battery I assumed it must have been the M2W I had installed and just figured that was the price you pay for all the electronics on these cars.

About 2 weeks ago, I took the battery tender off after having it charging for almost a week and "click click click," car wouldn't start. Brought the battery down to the dealer and told him my story and problems. He tested the battery, and it failed. He told me that becuase the car was sitting in the showroom for 8 or 9 months the battery had probably been completely drained and damaged before I even took posession of the car. Installed the new (free) replacement battery and after letting the car sit for about a week and half, with no tender on it, it fired right up!

Long story short, save yourself some headaches and just get a new battery

Last edited by golferdude; 10-18-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 AM
jhauswirth
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I need to take it in for some service. While I'm there I'll talk to them about the battery.

The service I need done is for the plastic door sill along the bottom. They say they damaged it with some cleaner. I'm not sure it was their fault. Its like it was completely fried with acid. Whitish/grey for about 1-1.5'. The reason why I don't think they did it is because there's no damage to anything around it, its just the single plastic piece. Looks like a bad manufactured piece. Plus I don't think they would clean the piece- they hardly cleaned the car to begin with. It was covered with dust and the trunk lid was all thick with dirt. I cleaned it up my self, I didn't want them to touch it.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:54 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

A tender takes a long time to charge up a really down battery, (it's never going to handle a defective one) its designed more to maintain than long time charge.

I would have had the battery changed by dealer before I left the lot.

When I think a battery is real low I use a CHARGER to bring it up and then switch to TENDER to maintain!

Get notified of new replies

To New C6- Dead battery and using Battery Tender

Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey

Congrats.

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
A tender takes a long time to charge up a really down battery, (it's never going to handle a defective one) its designed more to maintain than long time charge.

I would have had the battery changed by dealer before I left the lot.

When I think a battery is real low I use a CHARGER to bring it up and then switch to TENDER to maintain!

good advice from both of the above posters...
Old 10-18-2011, 01:32 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by golferdude
...Long story short, save yourself some headaches and just get a new battery

Don't bother trying to salvage a C6 battery that's died (probably many times). You don't need the grief.

Get a new battery! And get a good battery maintainer (like a CTEK) to keep it healthy & well-charged.

BTW, congrats on your new C6!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our 2009 sat on the dealer's lot for 9 months before we bought it, started and moved occasionally but I'm sure the battery went dead more than once. They probably charged it up for my test drive.

After we had put 35,000 miles on the car, no indications of battery problems. I had the local dealer load test it just before we went out of warranty, still tested good. But I replaced it last week, just in case. Dealing with a dead battery in Nowhere Junction on a Sunday morning during a bilzzard, is not my idea of fun.

Quick Reply: New C6- Dead battery and using Battery Tender