C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwood DNX9980HD or Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by chevyc6z51
good info, do you think pioneer will ever add the sq to their units? and not have you buy extra stuff to get it?
Pioneer is all about a cheaper price and selling more units on price. So I dont see them changing much but adding more features.
Kenwood is not going to be the cheapest but more interested in quality. They admit to the slower perfomrance issues but I assure you they are working on it.
It was nice being able to express what we all like and do not like with all the Kenwood guys last week. KEnwood holds top position for NAV units sold over Pioneer as well

This year I am going to CES in January when all the new units will be released for 2012. I plan on posting pics and info from CES on our Double D Mods Facebook page while at CES so you guys can see everything that is new coming out as well.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:07 AM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Can the kenwood's slow user interface be fixed with a firmware update?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:45 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by kedar
Can the kenwood's slow user interface be fixed with a firmware update?

yes it will speed them up some
All updates are available here
http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firm...011/index.html
Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Pioneer uses Microsoft OS in their radios. My Avic locks up constantly. Had it replaced by Pioneer and it still locks up. Absolute crap. Go to avic 411 and see the crap people put up with. Go with the Kenwood that has the Garmin built in. I am about to do that. I will give my Avic away for free in a few weeks... But I would not recommend it.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
This year I am going to CES in January when all the new units will be released for 2012. I plan on posting pics and info from CES on our Double D Mods Facebook page while at CES so you guys can see everything that is new coming out as well.
Im attending CES also, and still plan on buying my in dash GPS reciever from you. If its cool, I could meet up with you at the Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony booths.. and pick your brain about what you think about the new units for 2012. As CES nears.. I'll make sure to PM you a reminder.

I had planned on buying something from you this year, but with my car going into winter storage.. I'd rather just wait till next year to start upgrades.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Im attending CES also, and still plan on buying my in dash GPS reciever from you. If its cool, I could meet up with you at the Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony booths.. and pick your brain about what you think about the new units for 2012. As CES nears.. I'll make sure to PM you a reminder.

I had planned on buying something from you this year, but with my car going into winter storage.. I'd rather just wait till next year to start upgrades.

Thats great
yes
just PM me and I will give you my cell

I should have a heads up from KEnwood in December as well on all the new units.

I did hear from a buddy in Alabama who owns 2 car audio shops that Pioneer is in the works on a NAV unit that will also display onthe windshield too. That would be awesome!
Old 10-19-2011, 02:41 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Like Dennis said Your not wired correctly
your orange white illumination wire needs to be connected to the gray wire with black stripe on the active handling button
this will solve your dimming feature
this is a very simple fix and makes things a lot nicer believe me PM me if you want I have done this twice so I can help.
Thanks Paul. I may tackle this next week.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:21 PM
mikes72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Susserman
Ok so I just got my 05 vette and I really want to put a nav touch screen in it. I was originally going to stay cheap but after some research I decided to go big or go home. I'm torn between Kenwood's DNX9980HD and Pioneer's AVIC-Z130BT. I would love to hear your opinions and personal experiences. Right now I'm leaning towards Pioneer mainly because of the UI. But I love Kenwood. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ITS ALL IN THE INSTALLER, I GOT THE WIFE THE KENWOOD DNX9980HD AND MY INSTALLER GROUNDED THE PARK BRAKE CONNECTION AND NOW I CAN NAVIGATE ON THE FLY AND SHE CAN EVEN WATCH VIDIOS, THIS IS NOT LEAGAL, HE SAID THE PIONEER WOULD NOT DO THIS WITHOUT SWITCH. SHE LOVES THE NAV AND IS LEARNING THE REST OF THE FEATURES WE ALSO ADDED A BACK UP CAMERA WHICH WILL SAVE MY REAR. DONT FORGET ABOUT ALL THE EXTRA YOU NEED TO GET LIKE HARNESS FOR STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS AND INTEFACE WITH HUD ENJOY WHICH EVER UNIT YOU DECIDE TO GET.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:46 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes72
ITS ALL IN THE INSTALLER, I GOT THE WIFE THE KENWOOD DNX9980HD AND MY INSTALLER GROUNDED THE PARK BRAKE CONNECTION AND NOW I CAN NAVIGATE ON THE FLY AND SHE CAN EVEN WATCH VIDIOS, THIS IS NOT LEAGAL, HE SAID THE PIONEER WOULD NOT DO THIS WITHOUT SWITCH. SHE LOVES THE NAV AND IS LEARNING THE REST OF THE FEATURES WE ALSO ADDED A BACK UP CAMERA WHICH WILL SAVE MY REAR. DONT FORGET ABOUT ALL THE EXTRA YOU NEED TO GET LIKE HARNESS FOR STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS AND INTEFACE WITH HUD ENJOY WHICH EVER UNIT YOU DECIDE TO GET.
I am not pushing one over the other but the Pioneer will do all the stuff you mentioned navigate on the fly, watch video's, back up camera (with optional camera), steering wheel controls (with the adapter that all the units require). Does not require any switch just swap the wires in the harness are you are good to go. Like has been said its the UI and Nav that are the big differences all the other stuff they both do.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:03 PM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Like Dennis said Your not wired correctly
your orange white illumination wire needs to be connected to the gray wire with black stripe on the active handling button
this will solve your dimming feature
this is a very simple fix and makes things a lot nicer believe me PM me if you want I have done this twice so I can help.
THANKS for the info....will look at the wiring.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:00 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
yes it will speed them up some
All updates are available here
http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firm...011/index.html
Dennis, thanks I am going to update my kenwood
Old 11-25-2011, 02:34 PM
RelytShields
Cruising

Originally Posted by rz2mbc
I have the z120 unit and am very pleased with it. Bluetooth is awesome,nav has been spot on, voice recognition is not that bad ( back ground noise...exhaust ) back up camera is excellent. The touch screen is awesome. I think the only minor item would be the dimming feature, very bright at night even when set at lowest level.

Can you dial the phone directly from the head unit or stii have to do it from the phone? Also does it have a mic or is that through your phone also
Old 11-25-2011, 04:30 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by NorthTXC6
I have the Kenwood 9980HD - here's my impressions:

the good: Garmin Nav is outstanding, lots of features and inputs to this deck, great screen, HD and Sirius and Pandora are great, iPod controls are good, incredible sound and great anchor headunit for SQ sound system (Zapco amps, Hybrid Audio componentsArc Audio sub)

the bad: user interface is sloooooooow, system takes about 20-30 secs to boot up, and did I say the system is slow?
My installer sells all of the top brands and really kind of steered me away from the Kenwood due to the slowness of the system. Went with the Z130 and am happy. While the GPS may not be quite as good as the Kenwood, it works just fine. The Pioneer does it all, Bluetooth audio from my Phone, CD, music off an SD card, Pandora, Aha, Ipod, XM(with an additional module), IPOD, traffic updates, rear camera, Voice Recognition, auto equalization with the Pioneer mic and I may have forgot some stuff. Very nice--eddie
Old 11-25-2011, 06:18 PM
RelytShields
Cruising

Can you dial the phone directly from the head unit or stii have to do it from the phone? Also does it have a mic or is that through your phone also
Old 11-25-2011, 06:20 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I love the Kenwood's Garmin Nav System, the IPOD interface is great, I can live with the slowness, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned the poor AM/FM reception. I live in the country and the tree lined streets prevent me from enjoying the Sat/radio without constant gaps in reception so I rely on the radio and the reception is less than 50% of what my stock radio is and, yes I have had the antenna hookup double checked.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
tommyarmour
1st Gear

My question is for c5 BearsFan.

I just purchased a brand new DNX9980HD today, had to return my DNX7180 since there was a misprint in the kenwood manual saying that the DNX7180 was supposed to work with the Ecoroute HD cable for Gauges and Diagnostics. Long story short it doesn't. So instead of returning my Ecoroute Cable I traded my DNX7180 for the DNX9980HD. From what I read the DNX9980HD is far superior to the 7180.

I know the DNX9990 is coming out this year. Do you know, is the hardware going to be better or just the software? Is the 9990 going to have a better processor? And finally will the 9980 get a software upgrade option to match the 9990?

Just a little note, I guess all the 2012 models are going to have android integration. That really bums be out, I have been a huge android fan and user and tester since before the G1 was first released. So I missed that boat. I am just in high hopes of seeing a software upgrade to at least get the 9980 close to the 9990. Do you have any info to share? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:53 AM
TOPLESS GS
Heel & Toe

Hi, Did this tread die or is there a different new tread another place? I am about to change the factory nav, bose speakers and amp. in my 2013 GS Convertible. Any good new solution not too expensive but better since last tread?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:55 AM
TOPLESS GS
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
Thats great
yes
just PM me and I will give you my cell

I should have a heads up from KEnwood in December as well on all the new units.

I did hear from a buddy in Alabama who owns 2 car audio shops that Pioneer is in the works on a NAV unit that will also display onthe windshield too. That would be awesome!
Hi, Did this tread die or is there a different new tread another place? I am about to change the factory nav, bose speakers and amp. in my 2013 GS Convertible. Any good new solution not too expensive but better since last tread? Thanks
Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 AM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I would say a two+ year old thread on technology is truly dead, no matter how many times you post the same question...

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX9980HD or Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT