C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter storage and high lift cams

Old 12-03-2011, 08:03 PM
66biskwik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter storage and high lift cams

There have been a few posts on CF about putting your car up for winter and not driving for a couple of months. My question: If you have a super high lift cam shouldn't you turn the car over every couple of weeks for equal distribution of spring pressures? I was thinking of Taking it even farther and looseing all of them. Any do this?one ever
Old 12-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The Spring Scientists tell us that storing a spring in the compressed position will not cause problems, if the spring was properly designed and manufactured.

This comes up often for pistol shooters, who wonder about storing pistol mags fully loaded. The general response is to not worry about it. When I was a cop, I had 3 "duty" mags for my pistol that were always kept fully loaded except when fired for qualification 3-4 times per year. And I had 5 identical "practice" mags that got loaded and unloaded (by shooting) a couple of times per week. The duty mags never failed, but the practice mag springs had to be replaced every couple of years.

I would worry more about the oil draining down off the moving parts, galling or scoring upon startup. Maybe start it every week or two during the winter? Just speculating...
Old 12-05-2011, 02:34 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The Spring Scientists tell us that storing a spring in the compressed position will not cause problems, if the spring was properly designed and manufactured.

This comes up often for pistol shooters, who wonder about storing pistol mags fully loaded. The general response is to not worry about it. When I was a cop, I had 3 "duty" mags for my pistol that were always kept fully loaded except when fired for qualification 3-4 times per year. And I had 5 identical "practice" mags that got loaded and unloaded (by shooting) a couple of times per week. The duty mags never failed, but the practice mag springs had to be replaced every couple of years.

I would worry more about the oil draining down off the moving parts, galling or scoring upon startup. Maybe start it every week or two during the winter? Just speculating...

I would not/do not start up the car every now and then. If I was worried about start up in the spring I would push the gas pedal to the floor to build up OP while pushing the start button (car will not start that way). Then release pedal and let the car start, you will be fine.

PS Jim I have fired loaded .45 mags from WW1- WW2 and the springs were fine.(so was the ammo, but corrosive so a good cleaning was mandatory).
Old 12-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Don 79 TA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the old hot rod trick when storing with a high lift cam was to back the rockers off
if your matched (cam/springs) i don't believe its as much of an issue as it was... lets say ages ago for us ole timers

it would probably help extend the life of your springs if they get backed off

back in the day this was mainly needed for the high lift solids
guess you can say it was more precautionary
Old 12-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Corby
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a camaro that runs 9.0's at 150. At the end of each season I back off the rockers. This forces me to lash the valves and inspect everything before the new season starts. Does it really help the valve springs? I guess it does not hurt.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter storage and high lift cams

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter storage and high lift cams