C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAV/Radio Going Blank!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:27 AM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default NAV/Radio Going Blank!

I have a 2008 coupe with factory NAV/radio. Car has 59,000 miles on it. Took it to the dealer about a month ago with the problem of the screen going blank and all controls "frozen". Only way to get the radio to shut off/change channels/volume was to shut the car off and re-start. Found out there was a TSB out about this in which new software needed to be installed. Dealer did it (Charged $100.00 for 5minutes of work). Same problem is occurring. Dealer now says" Radio has internal fault". Need to replace-$1800Need some opinions please- Should this be replaced at no cost to me?
If not, I would think there are better (and less costly) options out there. Also, if I cannot get GM to help out, I also installed the remote 6 CD changer in the back. I would need a system that would work with that.
Thanks in advance
Old 10-19-2011, 01:57 PM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
They charged you $100 for the TSB fix? That's crap.

The fix shouldn't have does anything to the radio. It's possible you have an internal fault in the radio. Do you have a scan tool that can read radio codes?
I agree with the "crap"! I argued with the dealer and GM. I was told that TSB are not recalls and are just instructions on how to handle a problem

Anyway, on the repair slip I got back it says:
58819 Radio Internal Fault

I don't know if that is the code.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:14 PM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
I don't recognize that code.

But if you have this, you are screwed:

DTC B2474
Diagnostic Instructions

• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptor

DTC B2474 07: Navigation Display Head Backlighting Performance

Circuit Description

The internal backlighting of the navigation display screen located in the navigation radio.

Conditions for Running the DTC

• Radio ON.

• Battery voltage must be between 9-16 volts.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

• The navigation radio tests the navigation display backlighting every 1 second.

• The radio determines there is a malfunction or overheat condition in the navigation display backlighting.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

Navigation backlighting may be too bright, dim or blank.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

• The condition responsible for setting the DTC no longer exists.

• A history DTC will clear once 50 consecutive malfunction-free ignition cycles have occurred.

Diagnostic Aids

Occasionally it is possible to overheat the navigation display backlighting due to excessive ambient heat inside the vehicle. In this instance it may be necessary to allow time for the display to cool.

Reference Information

Schematic Reference
Radio/Navigation System Schematics

Connector End View Reference
Component Connector End Views

Description and Operation
Navigation System Description and Operation

Electrical Information Reference
• Circuit Testing

• Connector Repairs

• Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections

• Wiring Repairs

Scan Tool Reference
Control Module References for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification

1. Ignition OFF, allow the navigation display to cool if the ambient temperature inside the vehicle is excessive and the radio is hot to the touch. Verify the navigation display is cool and the DTC has cleared and gone to history.

2. Ignition ON, with a scan tool, clear all DTCs and operate the audio/navigation system within the Conditions for Running the DTC. Verify the DTC does not reset.

⇒ If the DTC resets, replace the radio.

Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

Control Module References for Radio replacement, setup, and programming
Thanks for the info! I think I'm SOL. I guess I'll start looking for a replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To NAV/Radio Going Blank!

Quick Reply: NAV/Radio Going Blank!