C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 12:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Gas cap alert to check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 07:01 AM
Dennyg2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas cap alert to check engine light?

A few days agoI noticed my gas cap notification, didn't do anything about it initially, only to find that the check engine light then followed. I then tightened my gas tank, but the check engine light remained on for a few hours. Woke up this morning, fired the vette up and the light was gone. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this to put my mind at ease. My hope is that it is just simply gas cap related.

thanks
Old 10-22-2011, 07:05 AM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loose gas cap will cause the CEL to come on. Sometimes it takes a day or more for the light to go out.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:08 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Just a loose cap at this point. If the cap seal is bad the message will return. The federal government is very serious about not wanting to smell any gas when you are driving down the road. You may get a warning but then they give you a CEL that can take days to go away after you fix the problem. Can you imagine the destruction of the earth if they didn't? It's enough to make Ghia cry.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:08 AM
PO10TIAL
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be fine, happened on my 07, we eventually had to change the cap it just wouldn't close (seal) properly. I wouldn't worry.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 AM
BigDs_C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it does need to be replaced, you might want to check with the dealer. Mine shows to be covered for 10 years, 120,000 miles.

D
Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 AM
cobraduke
Instructor

Default gas cap

Just had my gas cap replaced under warranty because it never got tight enough.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:28 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

"Gas cap notification"? Don't think I've ever seen or even read about that one. Is that something new?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:55 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by EVRose
"Gas cap notification"? Don't think I've ever seen or even read about that one. Is that something new?
Nope, been on every C6 produced. The system is a closed loop evaporative emissions system. Depending upon the severity of the "leak" in the closed system it will trigger a "Check Gas Cap" message or a Check Engine Light on the instrument panel. If a Check Gas Cap message is ignored, it will progress to a CEL.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:03 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have had this happen on several of my Corvettes. I just take it in to the dealer and let them figure it out. Usually, they simply replaced the gas cap...
Old 10-22-2011, 11:25 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by category4
Loose gas cap will cause the CEL to come on. Sometimes it takes a day or more for the light to go out.
With my 06Z06 which would throw a gas cap CEL about once a year after a refill, it was my experience that it would take a dozen engine starts to clear the CEL after removing the gas cap and reinstalling correctly by not pushing down on the cap while twisting. Interesting that the OP's CEL turned off so quickly.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Dennyg2
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the great advice guys. I feel better after hearing this.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:28 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Just a reminder, when you put the gas cap on do not press down on it, just set it on and turn it until it clicks. Pressing down hard and turning seems to eventually damage these caps. Its not like the caps in the old days.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Dennyg2
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by foremaw
Just a reminder, when you put the gas cap on do not press down on it, just set it on and turn it until it clicks. Pressing down hard and turning seems to eventually damage these caps. Its not like the caps in the old days.
Good advice. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

FWIW...year's ago I got a check gas cap warning. I went to the dealership for a replacement gas cap and they, naturally, wanted to schedule a comprehensive system test. I passed on that and bought a new gas cap from the parts department. Before I installed the new gas cap a forum member suggested I try screwing on my existing gas cap as 'loosely' as possible. The gas cap is still "on" but not screwed down tight like you'd do with gas caps on other cars. I've never seen another check gas cap warning (and I still have the new gas cap in its sealed plastic wrapper). It's possible your gas cap needs replacement but I'd try 'adjusting' how you screw it down before I'd replace it. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:20 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
FWIW...year's ago I got a check gas cap warning. I went to the dealership for a replacement gas cap and they, naturally, wanted to schedule a comprehensive system test.
my experience as well, I passed on it, paid more attention to how I was putting the gas cap on and it never happened again
Old 10-04-2013, 02:55 PM
C6Rolf
1st Gear

Default Gas cap C6

Originally Posted by cadguymark
my experience as well, I passed on it, paid more attention to how I was putting the gas cap on and it never happened again
Hello From Munich Germany. I have a C6/2005 since 14 months and love this car (before I had a C3/72 and spent more time in the pit than on the road. With the C6 this now has changed).
But since 2 months I got this gas cap warning light problem. I will try the suggested "careful tightening", but I have the feeling that the gas system at the C6 is kind of overengineered.

Rolf from Munich
Old 10-04-2013, 03:06 PM
corvette624
Instructor

I was told by a reliable Vette tech to just put the cap on the filler neck, do not press down, and turn it until it clicks twice. I have not had a problem since.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas cap alert to check engine light?

Old 10-04-2013, 03:12 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,813 Likes on 2,060 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by corvette624
I was told by a reliable Vette tech to just put the cap on the filler neck, do not press down, and turn it until it clicks twice. I have not had a problem since.

Don't put ANY pressure on the cap to make it "tighter". Just put it on the threads and let the cap pull itself "down" onto the filler neck. After 2 or 3 clicks turn it loose and see if that helps. Apparently the cap doesn't like to be "helped" when it is screwing down on the neck.

Elmer
Old 10-04-2013, 03:22 PM
05_Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dennyg2
A few days agoI noticed my gas cap notification, didn't do anything about it initially, only to find that the check engine light then followed. I then tightened my gas tank, but the check engine light remained on for a few hours. Woke up this morning, fired the vette up and the light was gone. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this to put my mind at ease. My hope is that it is just simply gas cap related.

thanks
My cap doesn't tighten up very well. And my light comes on sometimes. I am hoping its just the cap.

While we are on the subject...

When I pump gas into my car, the auto stop on the gas pump always kicks the pump out prematurely. I have to hold the pump at half way to get the fuel in. Otherwise it will just kick out.

Is this normal ?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dennyg2
Thanks for the great advice guys. I feel better after hearing this.
You need to be especially careful about securing your gas cap in Ohio.

You could face a fine of $100.00 per day, up to a maximum of $3,000, for an unsecured gas cap, which could potentially cause catastrophic damage to the environment.

Be thankful you caught it in time!

Quick Reply: Gas cap alert to check engine light?