Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
96BAM
CF Senior Member

Default C6 automatic transmission filter change

Any one chaged out the A6 filter yet???? If you have how did you get the back 4 bolts out.

Thanks
96BAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
96BAM
CF Senior Member

No diyers out there??????
Old 10-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Red Rochester
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96BAM View Post
No diyers out there??????
I don't think so!
Red Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13
Support Corvetteforum!

Dealership did it for me.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

RWHP - 440.786 RWTQ - 439.494 I love to drive!!! 07 Vet Mileage = 183,100. http://togetherweserved.com/ http://www.coasttocoastam.com/ http://www.survivalistboards.com/

In order to get to some of the bolts, I believe we removed the (4) nuts "see green" then we placed a brace "see blue" and raised the trans a little.
Attached Images

Gering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
C6ToGo
CF Senior Member

I have searched here and asked questions on DIY A6 trans filter change and still can't seem to get a full understanding before I start.

- How do you get the back bolts out?

- Can you just measure the amount of fluid drained and put the same amount back in to avoid the need to pull plug after warming it up?

- Do you need a special squirt bottle/dispenser to get the fluid up to the fill hole?

- How much do I need and where is a good place to get Dexron VI without spending a fortune?
C6ToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
okie08vette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Any one chaged out the A6 filter yet???? If you have how did you get the back 4 bolts out.

Thanks

I though the A6 on my 2008 was a sealed unit and did not require service, it does not have a dip stick, am I wrong?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
dkvetteguy
CF Senior Member

those pics are of a manual diff drain plugs.Not even an automatic which has a pan. PLEASE READ the original post!
dkvetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
dkvetteguy
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6ToGo View Post
I have searched here and asked questions on DIY A6 trans filter change and still can't seem to get a full understanding before I start.

- How do you get the back bolts out?

- Can you just measure the amount of fluid drained and put the same amount back in to avoid the need to pull plug after warming it up?

- Do you need a special squirt bottle/dispenser to get the fluid up to the fill hole?

- How much do I need and where is a good place to get Dexron VI without spending a fortune?
MY advice which will save you a lot of money. Let the dealer do it. It is not an easy do it yourself! Trans must be level,right temp and fluid added when running to side plug until it starts to run out. If u are not up to all the facts and not done right an expensive repair due to an underfilled tranny will result. Leave it to the pros if your not mechanically knowledgable
dkvetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Larry/car
CF Senior Member

Unless the fluid looks burnt, leave it alone. If it is burnt there are problems that a transmission shop needs to address. I have a truck with over a hundred thousand miles with the original transmission fluid, and no problems.
Larry/car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Vinnie T
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkvetteguy View Post
MY advice which will save you a lot of money. Let the dealer do it. It is not an easy do it yourself! Trans must be level,right temp and fluid added when running to side plug until it starts to run out. If u are not up to all the facts and not done right an expensive repair due to an underfilled tranny will result. Leave it to the pros if your not mechanically knowledgable
Agreed! I looked into this after I bought my car since I'm a DIY kind of guy. After reading the procedure and warnings, I decided to leave it to the pros when I have it done. This is not your typical automatic tranny with a dipstick under the hood and a drain pan on the underside. Do it wrong, and you've got real problems.
Vinnie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #12
needcheese
CF Senior Member

needcheese

Manufactures prefer you not change out the filter by dropping the pan on newer model autos. They want you to get a fluid transfer done. They remove the current fluid in the transmission system, run a cleaning solution through it, and add new trans fluid back. There are some systems that are sealed. The sealed system should only by done by the dealership.

Last edited by needcheese; 10-25-2011 at 01:22 PM.
needcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by needcheese View Post
Manufactures prefer you not change out the filter by dropping the pan on newer model autos. They want you to get a fluid transfer done. They remove the current fluid in the transmission system, run a cleaning solution through it, and add new trans fluid back. There are some systems that are sealed. The sealed system should only by done by the dealership.
Our C6 Service Manual does not recommend or even mention any kind of fluid exchange or flush. The only procedure they show is the normal: drain-replace filter-refill.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
HOXXOH
CF Senior Member

Here's an old thread regarding changing fluid that has good info:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...nsmission.html

For the OP, PM thesubfloor, as he posted a how-to on removing the bolts, but I can't find it now.

To all the DIY'ers: I strongly suggest buying the GM service manuals for your specific car. They're not perfect and aren't necessarily the easiest read or method of repairs, but will give you a tremendous advantage over not having that reference available.
HOXXOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #15
96BAM
CF Senior Member

I have a shop manual and there is nothing in the book about removing the 4 nuts and raising the trans to get to the 4 bolts. All it said was remove the 18 bolts. The trans raise about 1' to 1 1/2" and you are able to remove the bolts. I was not changing the filter out just to do it. The Trans pan had a BIG dent in it. So it had to be replaced
Old 10-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
HOXXOH
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I have a shop manual and there is nothing in the book about removing the 4 nuts and raising the trans to get to the 4 bolts. All it said was remove the 18 bolts. The trans raise about 1' to 1 1/2" and you are able to remove the bolts. I was not changing the filter out just to do it. The Trans pan had a BIG dent in it. So it had to be replaced
Yep! That's just one of the many shortcomings of the manuals. Some stuff you just have to figure out on your own.

I particularly like the one for the removal of the freon hose connector from the compressor. See the illustration and then look at the car and see the impossible.
HOXXOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #17
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

RWHP - 440.786 RWTQ - 439.494 I love to drive!!! 07 Vet Mileage = 183,100. http://togetherweserved.com/ http://www.coasttocoastam.com/ http://www.survivalistboards.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkvetteguy View Post
those pics are of a manual diff drain plugs.Not even an automatic which has a pan. PLEASE READ the original post!
The pic is not perfect, but it will work for a quick reference. We have replaced my 07 A6 filter many times before "every 20,000 to 30,000 miles" which has well over 120,000 miles on it. For those that wish to do the drain, drop pan, clean pan, replace filter, install pan, & refill; I would recommend you drain and refill the diff at the same time.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #18
Bill Soda
CF Senior Member

Three or four aft bolts can be removed with a 10MM ( I think ) open end wrench. Remove these bolts first and install them last. The remaining bolts are easy and follow info in post #14 regarding refill and torque specs. Filter pulls out and its not really necessary to change the applicable seal unless new filter does not fit ( unlikely ) firmly in place. The job is really no big deal, just rather messy. I installed about seven quarts ( a little overfilled ) but then when it gets up to specified temp all you have to do is remove pan plug to establish proper level. No need to add more fluid near those hot exhaust pipes.
Bill Soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #19
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Also here is another thread about the same topic.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...post1579063530

"Linked for those that are doing a search about the topic"
Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
4thC4at60
CF Senior Member

Bolts must be removed and tranny raised. I watched my Corvette tech do it three weeks ago. Let the pro handle this one.

Same tech 21 years. Followed him to three dealerships - one of them 80 miles from my house. Yes, he's THAT good.
4thC4at60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page C6 automatic transmission filter change