C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thief Tries to Steal Corvette, Winds Up Trapped Inside

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:04 PM
MuscleVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
Personally, I love the system. I just open the car, sttart it up, and go. No taking keys out, no putting keys back in my pocket. Never really have to worry about forgetting my keys anywhere because they never leave my pocket. About the only thing I would change would be the addition of a sensor in the rear hatch area to prevent the "keys in the jacket - jacket in the trunk" syndrome.

Although it seems like the system adds weight, I really wonder if it does. Even with "normal" power locks, you have the same electronic actuators, some electronics for door locking logic, etc. The only difference is the substitution of pushbuttons for mechanical levers, and the elimination of the lock cylinders. My guess is it probably saves weight overall.

I wish all of my cars had the system. (BTW - my battery has been perfect for 4+ years, and 6 - 10 weeks of inactivity per week 1-2 weeks at a time. Maybe I've been lucky)
I love the system. I honestly have no desire for them to change it.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:22 PM
ZWECK
3rd Gear

Default Corvettes have a safety issue when battery goes dead

When the battery goes dead the window indexing results in the inability to open the door until power is restored. In and accident many people would not know how to get out. On a standard C6 you could remove the roof panel. From the outside I have had to crawl in through rear deck lid just to release hood latch. After several dead batteries I install a Deka battery and a Priority Start. No problems for over a year.

This is a pretty hilarious story.

But all kidding aside, does anyone have a good explanation as to why this system is a good idea? A lot of Corvettes are weekend or second cars, and can be finicky about keeping a charge on the battery.

Plus, this system has to weigh more than a mechanical equivalent, so why saddle a sports car with it? It just seems like one more thing to break. I'm not trying to talk any trash, just curious...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...ped-inside.php[/QUOTE]
Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 PM
C6SUMMER
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I love the system. I just open the car, sttart it up, and go. No taking keys out, no putting keys back in my pocket. Never really have to worry about forgetting my keys anywhere because they never leave my pocket. About the only thing I would change would be the addition of a sensor in the rear hatch area to prevent the "keys in the jacket - jacket in the trunk" syndrome.

Although it seems like the system adds weight, I really wonder if it does. Even with "normal" power locks, you have the same electronic actuators, some electronics for door locking logic, etc. The only difference is the substitution of pushbuttons for mechanical levers, and the elimination of the lock cylinders. My guess is it probably saves weight overall.

I wish all of my cars had the system. (BTW - my battery has been perfect for 4+ years, and 6 - 10 weeks of inactivity per week 1-2 weeks at a time. Maybe I've been lucky)
Old 11-08-2011, 03:29 PM
stng5pnt8
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kh400
I before E except after C.
What about the word science?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:37 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by stng5pnt8
What about the word science?
... or the word "flatulencies"
Old 11-08-2011, 04:00 PM
KTVette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you on this one, love not taking key out of pocket. I have the steering column lock issue though...not as lucky as you I guess.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
M3MOTORSPORTS
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Crowhater
I am so glad I live in Texas where it is legal to put a double tap on a person in your yard.
God bless the Great State of Texas
Old 11-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Bellboy
Racer

Originally Posted by kh400
I before E except after C

The rest of the rule:
I before E except after C, except when it's not.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by ayang951
you know what, i believe all states should be like that.. here in california so much crap goes on, because everyone knows that no one can do that. but in texas i noticed a lot more people being more reserved because of that... no one goes road rages or anything, because why, its simple, you don't have a gun and the other guy more than likely does... i learned that from a good friend that lives out there in texas, and i feel it should be like that everywhere!
An armed society is a polite society
Old 11-08-2011, 07:03 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by M3MOTORSPORTS
God bless the Great State of Texas
Come on down buddy
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

Originally Posted by ZWECK
... From the outside I have had to crawl in through rear deck lid just to release hood latch....
Really? You crawled in?! More education on Corvette entry is obviously needed.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:40 AM
jetlag700
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by J S Machine
Yeah I've been there...sort of

My '95 Z71 pickup had a loose ground bolt on the battery. Every now and then it would lose contact and kill power to the whole truck. It aslo had two broken inside door handles (common with those trucks) and I had put off fixing both. The only way I could open my doors was by letting the window down and opening the door from the outside door handle.

One morning on my way to work at 4am, I stopped at walmart to pick up something to eat. When I got back in the truck and shut the door, the battery lost contact. Windows up, I could not get out to go fix the cable issue

So I called my wife, and as usual, her phone was dead

I had to call the police, and get them to come open my door.

Man I felt like an idiot
I thought that Jaguar's were the only four wheeled monsters that had electrical problems....lol...you know....Lucas electrical system. But the good thing with my 88 Jaguar XJS is that I cannot lock myself OUT or IN, have to have a key to lock the car from the outside and just push the lock button to unlock from the inside.

The whole thing is the old fashioned way.......simple.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 AM
75 Orange Flame
Intermediate

This is so funny and cool!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Red 71
Pro

Location: Melbourne, Fla. 6 months- New Middletown, Ohio 6 months
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I got this right, a real contributing factor was that the Corvette had a electrical issue.....not something we should be bragging about...

Do he pay extra for the dead battery option???
Old 11-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,507 Likes on 861 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by jetlag700
I thought that Jaguar's were the only four wheeled monsters that had electrical problems....lol...you know....Lucas electrical system. But the good thing with my 88 Jaguar XJS is that I cannot lock myself OUT or IN, have to have a key to lock the car from the outside and just push the lock button to unlock from the inside.

The whole thing is the old fashioned way.......simple.
I was watching "Wheeler Dealers" and they were making fun of Detroit electrics. I thought that is the pot calling the kettle black. There is nothing like going down a dark road with Luca's electrics and having them fail. Let us not even talk about trying to get twin SU carburetors working right.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:29 PM
MuscleVette
Racer

Originally Posted by Vette Jockey
I was watching "Wheeler Dealers" and they were making fun of Detroit electrics. I thought that is the pot calling the kettle black. There is nothing like going down a dark road with Luca's electrics and having them fail. Let us not even talk about trying to get twin SU carburetors working right.
I've got 1969 Triumph TR-250 in a warehouse because of Lucas...
Old 11-14-2011, 10:14 PM
vetteownr85
Heel & Toe

Thats Hilarious

Quick Reply: Thief Tries to Steal Corvette, Winds Up Trapped Inside