C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP open = straight pipes? Louder idle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:26 PM
corvette-kyle
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default NPP open = straight pipes? Louder idle?

I have an 08 LS3 with long tube headers and high flow cats. I have my NPP fuse pulled and I love the scream at WOT but I kind of want something louder. My question is if I take out the NPP system/muffler, which I can sell for a couple hundred, right? and straight pipe the back, would this be any louder than just running open NPP? I'd just have two exhaust pipes coming out the back then, right?

What would be illegal about removing the NPP and straight piping.. other than messing with the factory exhaust. The car gets through inspection now, would that change anything?

Also, is there anything I can do to get a deeper rumble at idle? Even my friends 2005 mustang gt with just a cheap exhaust has a much deeper and meaner idle.

And finally, I have always wondered if it would be possible to relocate the NPP valves and use them further up in the exhaust, just like how cutouts work.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:43 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess if you want louder you could add a set of cutouts to the system.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:45 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should cut 2 holes in the hood and run the headers straight out them.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:45 PM
CENT Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EDinPA
Old 10-27-2011, 01:53 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EDinPA
Oh, don't forget the rain caps.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:11 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Illusion Of Progress
I have an 08 LS3 with long tube headers and high flow cats. I have my NPP fuse pulled and I love the scream at WOT but I kind of want something louder. My question is if I take out the NPP system/muffler, which I can sell for a couple hundred, right? and straight pipe the back, would this be any louder than just running open NPP? I'd just have two exhaust pipes coming out the back then, right?

What would be illegal about removing the NPP and straight piping.. other than messing with the factory exhaust. The car gets through inspection now, would that change anything?

Also, is there anything I can do to get a deeper rumble at idle? Even my friends 2005 mustang gt with just a cheap exhaust has a much deeper and meaner idle.

And finally, I have always wondered if it would be possible to relocate the NPP valves and use them further up in the exhaust, just like how cutouts work.

Thanks!

There are several exhaust systems made by Borla and others that will replace the NPP and give you a louder sound both at idle and at WOT. I guess if you just ran stright pipes you would be OK, don't remove the O2 sensor's or you will screw up the tune.
If you do any of these thing's I would be very interested in purchasing the NPP's you remove.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:20 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I saw pricing right for a new NPP muffler, it was around 690. I could be wrong on that. A straight pipe is never a low rumble. It has taken a little time for the open side of the NPP to grow on me. I still think it is to high of a pitch. I still prefer the low tone you are referring to. The tone I prefer came from my flowmasters I had on my 69 chevelle.

(I am sure I will get corrected on the price. I hope not too harshly.)
Old 10-27-2011, 02:22 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by needcheese
If I saw pricing right for a new NPP muffler, it was around 690. I could be wrong on that. A straight pipe is never a low rumble. It has taken a little time for the open side of the NPP to grow on me. I still think it is to high of a pitch. I still prefer the low tone you are referring to. The tone I prefer came from my flowmasters I had on my 69 chevelle.

(I am sure I will get corrected on the price. I hope not too harshly.)

Price on a set of NPP's is very variable, used it's anywhere from 200 to 700, new they are closer to 1000. I am looking for a good set of used 08 NPP's to install on my car.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:25 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

You can probably sell your NPPs for a lot more than a couple of hundred bucks but if you do sell them I'd like to know. I intend to add NPP to my '08 vert.

I see Paul has already asked... but if he doesn't want them I'd like to talk.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:29 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bonnell
You can probably sell your NPPs for a lot more than a couple of hundred bucks but if you do sell them I'd like to know. I intend to add NPP to my '08 vert.

I see Paul has already asked... but if he doesn't want them I'd like to talk.

Glad I got in first
Old 10-27-2011, 02:34 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Glad I got in first
It must have been close. Your post wasn't there when I started writing mine.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:53 PM
CopRodder
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bonnell check pm
Old 10-27-2011, 04:12 PM
bonnevillebill
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 14 Posts

Last year I paid $750 plust shipping for a used pair of NPPs. I thought that was a fair price. Certainly you can more than a "couple hundred" for yours.

I would think that straight pipes (no mufflers) would be significantly louder than NPPs. Not sure how livable it would be, though. I'll bet hte drone at about 1500-1700 rpm would be vicious.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:09 PM
corvette-kyle
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If I can take off my NPP's, bolt on straight pipes and still make it through inspection and stuff and not have any problems with any sensors or anything, and pocket some cash I would do it tomorrow. I feel like I'm going to run into problems though.

I see some for the C5 but none for the C6, are there pre-made straight pipes that I can just buy? If I have this done by a muffler shop would they just weld on the pipe and then I need to add exhaust tips? I wouldn't mind only having two exhaust tips but I'd like it to look nice.. I don't want two ghetto looking tubes just coming out the back.

Has anyone done this and have pictures/videos? Would this effect my tune at all?

If I bought or borrowed some ramps could I unbolt everything in my garage and run straight pipes (or nothing) just to see how loud it is?

Also, unrelated question... I know that I can change the front/rear/bumper/hood body panels and I'd think I could get the gas cap cover.. but if I wanted to change the color of my car would I have to have the doors repainted? I've been thinking of changing it from black to red white or yellow because it's got 75k miles and some road rash. Would it be more cost effective to just refinish the entire body or buy completely new panels and have the doors/rocker panels painted by themselves? That way I could also do a widebody conversion.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM
chris12.8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a big cam
Old 10-28-2011, 01:20 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Unless you go to a friendly inspection place they'll fail you for no mufflers. Correct?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:14 AM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude, do you realize just how loud straight pipes are? Most people would not be willing to live with that much noise, and you may well be violating local noise laws.

Get notified of new replies

To NPP open = straight pipes? Louder idle?

Old 10-29-2011, 12:25 AM
Cyal8r
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by florida john
Dude, do you realize just how loud straight pipes are? Most people would not be willing to live with that much noise, and you may well be violating local noise laws.
I have a buddy running straight pipes on his TA and it's annoyingly loud
Old 10-29-2011, 05:06 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Illusion Of Progress
If I can take off my NPP's, bolt on straight pipes and still make it through inspection and stuff and not have any problems with any sensors or anything, and pocket some cash I would do it tomorrow. I feel like I'm going to run into problems though.

I see some for the C5 but none for the C6, are there pre-made straight pipes that I can just buy? If I have this done by a muffler shop would they just weld on the pipe and then I need to add exhaust tips? I wouldn't mind only having two exhaust tips but I'd like it to look nice.. I don't want two ghetto looking tubes just coming out the back.

Has anyone done this and have pictures/videos? Would this effect my tune at all?

If I bought or borrowed some ramps could I unbolt everything in my garage and run straight pipes (or nothing) just to see how loud it is?

Also, unrelated question... I know that I can change the front/rear/bumper/hood body panels and I'd think I could get the gas cap cover.. but if I wanted to change the color of my car would I have to have the doors repainted? I've been thinking of changing it from black to red white or yellow because it's got 75k miles and some road rash. Would it be more cost effective to just refinish the entire body or buy completely new panels and have the doors/rocker panels painted by themselves? That way I could also do a widebody conversion.

Thanks!
Here are pipes you can buy. They are nice, tips included, but they sure as hell are not cheap!

Link below won't "link up" for some reason, so just copy and paste this address into your browser.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductDetails/ProductDetails.aspx?pid={9a1f7f10-e935-44b4-a909-fdb4f2b7e530}&gid={071e653d-bb14-47d5-b139-486592ee8e21}&GroupName=B%26B+Tri-Flow+Exhaust+Systems&pname=05-08+B%26B+Bullet+Exhaust+System+-+4%22+Round+Tips&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SG R-SR&CTitle=&

Last edited by Swiftrider08; 10-29-2011 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:53 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

You could take off the mufflers and over axle pipes and see how it sounds. I have started (but not driven) two other cars without mufflers before installing Flowmaster 2 chambers and at idle and reving I hear no difference. Having cats in the exhaust quiets things down quite a bit. I imagine straight pipes without cats would be almost like open headers, but cats and no mufflers seems very similar to mufflers and no cats. If you have something in the exhaust flow it seems to quiet it down. Will you get the tone you desire? I don't know.

Quick Reply: NPP open = straight pipes? Louder idle?