C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grease on Battery Terminals Causes Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Grease on Battery Terminals Causes Problems?

For years I have used the dielectric silicone grease (and the felt washers) on the battery terminals of my cars to prevent corrosion. I prefer the grease over the paint-like sprays because it won't crack or flake, and is easily reapplied if I remove a cable.

Recently I read a comment not to use grease this way, as it can cause problems getting a good electrical contact.

Anyone have problems using grease this way?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:19 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should be fine. I use a copper anti sieze type grease and never get corrosion. You can use battery terminal protector spray as well if you would rather.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

I have used grease lightly applied to battery terminals for many years on many cars and have had zero problems, and I am convinced this helps avoid any build up of corrosion debris at the connections
Old 10-29-2011, 12:01 AM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Grease is a very common practice and I haven't seen any problems. However, i have seen many corroded and ugly terminals without any coatings!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:02 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

The reason it can cause problems is:
Dielectric grease is a thick, nonconductive, water-resistant compound that protects electrical components and connections. It also lubricates mated connections, such as spark plugs and the rubber boots that fit over them.

Read more: What Is Dielectric Grease Used For? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7709251_dielectric-grease-used.html#ixzz1c8jgKl6x

Using it between the clamps and the battery posts can reduce or stop current flow just the same as corrosion does. You want a conductive grease not a dielectric grease.

It works in electrical connectors because it gets displaced from the connector pins as they wipe across each other when being connected. The grease then keeps stuff out of the connector and inhibits corrosion.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-29-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:08 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I use it over the top and around the connection but not inside the clamp or post before clamping them.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:04 AM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I use a telecom grade no-ox grease (for 30+yrs) never a problem. I like the idea of the copper impregnated anti seize also. Have seen that used alot.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:18 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The reason it can cause problems is:
Dielectric grease is a thick, nonconductive, water-resistant compound that protects electrical components and connections. It also lubricates mated connections, such as spark plugs and the rubber boots that fit over them.

Read more: What Is Dielectric Grease Used For? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7709251_dielectric-grease-used.html#ixzz1c8jgKl6x

Using it between the clamps and the battery posts can reduce or stop current flow just the same as corrosion does. You want a conductive grease not a dielectric grease.

It works in electrical connectors because it gets displaced from the connector pins as they wipe across each other when being connected. The grease then keeps stuff out of the connector and inhibits corrosion.

Bill

The grease is not to be used within the connection, but rather it is to be used to seal-off the connection btween the terminals or over the posts and clamps in the older style connections. I have used whatever type of thick grease is available.

Get notified of new replies

To Grease on Battery Terminals Causes Problems?

Quick Reply: Grease on Battery Terminals Causes Problems?