C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOB programming question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:40 PM
David Ochoa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOB programming question

I think I'm doing this right according to the instructions but after step 5 I never get step 6, no beep from DIC or message. Am I missing something? BTW, 07 FOB w/ separate key.

C6 Fob, Short Procedure….use these instructions 1-10 when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system, or to test the operation of the glovebox slot.

1. Put drivers window down all the way, then turn car off
2. Trunk open
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
5. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Ready for fob 3”.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).
Old 10-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

We've been told that one problem some folks have is that they are hurrying the turning of the key.

I think the biggest problem most people have is that they are hurrying the five key turns and not completely turning the key each time. 5 times in five seconds is not that fast...take your time and make sure the key is going the full 90 degrees of turn. I have done programming on 2 extra fobs in less than 2 minutes using this procedure.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1565277998-post7.html
Old 10-31-2011, 08:51 AM
tcadman
Intermediate

Default Used FOB

Can I reprogram a used FOB. I got the ready for FOB#2 and put to fob in and within a couple seconds it beeped and said ready for FOB#3 but FOB #2 wouldn't work. I ready the long version of the reprogramming and it may be i need to do both #1 and #2 consecutively. Is it possible to unprogram a FOB and start from scratch?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:18 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by tcadman
Can I reprogram a used FOB. I got the ready for FOB#2 and put to fob in and within a couple seconds it beeped and said ready for FOB#3 but FOB #2 wouldn't work. I ready the long version of the reprogramming and it may be i need to do both #1 and #2 consecutively. Is it possible to unprogram a FOB and start from scratch?
The long procedure at the beginning of this thread does exactly that.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:23 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by David Ochoa
I think I'm doing this right according to the instructions but after step 5 I never get step 6, no beep from DIC or message. Am I missing something? BTW, 07 FOB w/ separate key.

C6 Fob, Short Procedure….use these instructions 1-10 when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system, or to test the operation of the glovebox slot.

2. Trunk open
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).
Jim is right, the most common error is trying to turn the key too fast and as a result, not turning it all the way. It should be a very deliberate turn. I know it's alot to read but you need to go back and read this whole thread as there are many tricks and tips contributed by members of our extended brain here. Getting the car into the program mode is by far the most common problem with the system.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:11 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2. Trunk open
3. Glove box open
My coupe was a dealer trade and they lost a key fob,, I bought the car from a dealer over 70 miles away because of a great deal.. So they mailed me a new fob to replace the missing one.. I tried for several days and couldn't get the car to go into programming mode so I took it to a local dealer.

They couldn't either, they called tech support and were told, to tell me that is was no longer a feature and the manual was incorrect. The dealer knew I knew better and didn't even try to tell me that. What they told me GM tech support actually said was, the programming mode is touchy, and the computers picky, and some cars will just not go into programming mode and they really don't know why.

They offered to program my second fob for free. I figure next time I need to go to a dealer for anything I will go to a different dealer and see if they can fix it. For now I got my fob programmed so I'm not worrying about it.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:40 PM
David Ochoa
Advanced

Originally Posted by hig4s
My coupe was a dealer trade and they lost a key fob,, I bought the car from a dealer over 70 miles away because of a great deal.. So they mailed me a new fob to replace the missing one.. I tried for several days and couldn't get the car to go into programming mode so I took it to a local dealer.

They couldn't either, they called tech support and were told, to tell me that is was no longer a feature and the manual was incorrect. The dealer knew I knew better and didn't even try to tell me that. What they told me GM tech support actually said was, the programming mode is touchy, and the computers picky, and some cars will just not go into programming mode and they really don't know why.

They offered to program my second fob for free. I figure next time I need to go to a dealer for anything I will go to a different dealer and see if they can fix it. For now I got my fob programmed so I'm not worrying about it.
That appears to the issue with mine, it just won't go into programing mode.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:44 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

but then again some here will tell you that you don't need to program a FOB
Old 10-31-2011, 06:46 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Auto or Manual transmission?

Well, I'm giving out candy so use these instructions and pay attention to the "gear selection"

>>C6 Fob Programming and Glove Box Slot Testing Procedures<<

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 10-31-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:57 PM
David Ochoa
Advanced

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Auto or Manual transmission?

Well, I'm giving out candy so use these instructions and pay attention to the "gear selection"

>>C6 Fob Programming and Glove Box Slot Testing Procedures<<

Elmer
Manual

Get notified of new replies

To FOB programming question

Quick Reply: FOB programming question