C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Boot or Axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:46 PM
jdwk
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default CV Boot or Axle

My outer passenger side CV boot has a small tear on it right next to the clamp and spraying axle grease all over my wheel.

On previous cars I've been told it's not worth rebuilding the joint, and just bought new axles.

Can the boot be easily replaced on the vette?

What all do I need to buy? I assume at least a boot, two clamps, a clamp tool of some sort, and axle grease.

I had the axles out to fix a transmission leak back in June and that's probably when it first started to tear, so I can do most things on my own, but then something like this pops up a few months down the road.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:42 PM
c6bear
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an inner boot tear, but caught it quick so the CV joint wasn't completely without lube which can cause them to overheat and wear. If it hasn't gone on too long, you should be OK to just replace the boot. It seems to be more critical on front-drivers. Mine was done under warranty so I woudl ahve to look up the procedure in my shop manaul. Your's being an outer should be easier to do. I've seen the kits advertised by some vendors. Try Ecklers, Mid-America or Corvette Central, or call Gene and GMParthouse and see what he might have.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:26 PM
jdwk
Pro

It's a very tiny tear so I would think the joint is still ok.

I'll give Gene a call tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

I had a small tear like that on my C5. A little rubbing alcohol, and some RTV fixed it right up..
Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 AM
jdwk
Pro

The RTV didn't hold. The grease still squeezed its way between the RTV and the boot somehow. Since the crack starts under the clamp, the RTV can't seal it directly. I definitely need a new boot. Whether I need to rebuild the joint or not is the question. I haven't put many miles on it since I noticed the leak but I have noticed a slight hum.

It is barely noticeable and my passengers usually think I am crazy when I try to point it out but it really bothers me when I do notice it. It comes and goes but appears most often when coasting. I am wondering if the noise is due to the loss of grease in the axle, but it hasn't really gotten any better or worse since I first noticed it back in the summer not long after I replaced my diff to tranny seal.

A new axle is almost $400 and the boot is $50 from Gene. A reman axle from Autozone is $200 plus core.

I would gladly pay the extra $150 if a reman axle silenced the hum but I can't guarantee it is the source.

I looked at my manual for the boot replacement, and it doesn't look too bad except for the use of a vice and a hammer. Anytime service manuals tell you to use a hammer it means it's going to be a huge pain, and there will be a small window of force between never coming loose and breaking something.

Might be worth the $200 to just get a new axle. I at least know I can do that much. Hopefully I don't rip one of the new boots trying to get it in.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:03 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

It needs to be replaced ASAP. IMO
Old 01-10-2012, 01:35 PM
jdwk
Pro

So I go to order the autozone reman axle and it is online order order only. Fine, but then I checkout and I get to the last step and it says the item is no longer available.

Now $400 vs $50 is a tougher decision.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:49 PM
cleif2000
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Advance Auto is offering 20% off on all on line purchases. And you can pick up item at the store. Code is P20.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:29 PM
jdwk
Pro

It doesn't look like they carry the half shaft or boot at advance.

In hindsight, I should have cut off the old clamp, pulled the boot back, found the tear, cleaned and filled with RTV, refilled with grease and put a new clamp on.
Hurray for hindsight.

A google search revealed that LG sells used half shafts. I wonder where they came from and how used they are. $170.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 AM
jdwk
Pro

I decided to check ebay and there is a totaled C6 with an axle for sale for $145 free shipping. That's probably cheaper than a new boot and labor to rebuild mine.

Probably worth a shot. Also saves me the trip. I really need to start investing in my garage though. Seems silly to not even have a vice, but that's because I don't even have a work bench. 3 cars in a 3 car garage doesn't give you a lot of room.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:08 AM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had this happen on my C5. I was told by the mechanic who did the repair for me (a guy I trust) that the boot can't be purchased by itself.

I had to have the right-side half-shaft replaced.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's usually the passenger side, because that is the curb side where it pics up all the crap.
My old C3, ...I was always changing u-joints on the curb side. <sigh>
Old 01-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a small puncture or tear in my RR CV boot. I'd notice a small amount of grease on the inner wheel after running at the track. I had the boot replaced and everything's been fine since.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I had a CV boot replaced on my 2011 GS Coupe under warranty. Noticed the grease all inside the drivers rear wheel after taking delivery. Mine had a very small tear but caused a big mess inside the wheel. Had the dealer replace the brake pads too!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Supersonic GS,
Did everything end up getting taken care of to your satisfaction? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
I had a CV boot replaced on my 2011 GS Coupe under warranty. Noticed the grease all inside the drivers rear wheel after taking delivery. Mine had a very small tear but caused a big mess inside the wheel. Had the dealer replace the brake pads too!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 PM
jdwk
Pro

Wayne out of curiosity, how much did you pay to have the boot replaced? Did you have it done in Tuscon or up here somewhere?

Get notified of new replies

To CV Boot or Axle

Quick Reply: CV Boot or Axle