C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help on windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:34 PM
ghe768
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help on windshield replacement

Driving home sat with my new gs coupe when a
rock hit the windshield,crack two ways has to be r
replaced. Does anyone in florida know of
a good shop in the west palm area?
Thanks,
George
Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 PM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently replaced my C6 windshield. I bought the windshield from my local Chevrolet dealer's parts department. They referred me to 'the guy who does all their installations', since they don't do windshields in house.

The guy they recommended did a good job for a reasonable price ($175). So you might want to get a recommendation from your local dealer.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Wooo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went to Chevrolet dealer and had them arrange it. GM glass of course.

Oddly, they have to remove the entire top on a z06 in order to replace the windshield.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:02 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

$175 for a C6 WS sounds really low. I just did a google search and it came back $475 and $488. Just make sure you are comparing the WS you had with whatever price you come up with. It might be a good idea to discuss this with you Insurance Co or Agent first. Depending or your carrier and your comp deductible they may have a WS place for you to consider... Good Luck...
Old 11-27-2011, 11:43 PM
mudfish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulB
$175 for a C6 WS sounds really low. I just did a google search and it came back $475 and $488. Just make sure you are comparing the WS you had with whatever price you come up with. It might be a good idea to discuss this with you Insurance Co or Agent first. Depending or your carrier and your comp deductible they may have a WS place for you to consider... Good Luck...
I'm guessing $175 was labor only for the install.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 458 Likes on 232 Posts

If you have comprehensive coverage in Florida there is no deductible for windshield replacement. I would go through the dealer to insure that you have the OEM glass.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:06 AM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PaulB
$175 for a C6 WS sounds really low. I just did a google search and it came back $475 and $488. ...
Originally Posted by mudfish
I'm guessing $175 was labor only for the install.
Yes, the HUD windshield was around $970 plus tax and the labor was $175.

Safelite windows are much cheaper.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm always surprised when I hear people pay anything to have a windshield replaced. For an extra few dollars you can have full glass coverage on your automobile insurance. There's no deductible or cost when replacing glass. Someone told me full glass coverage would also cover damaged head lamps. I've replaced the HUD windshield on my Vette (and numerous other vehicle windshields) and there's never any charge. Just FWIW......
Old 11-28-2011, 09:23 AM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default windshield

wayne o you live in az its the easiest state to get coverage.. california insurance companies do not offer that type of coverage. it has to be covered under comprehensive... went thru that last year.. i found out that you DO NOT NEED a "hud windshield". they installed a non hud windshield from the dealership and i could see the hud perfectly clear and saved alot of money....wasnt being cheap just being smart...... note if you dont believe me ask those who have had the hud installed after they bought the car....
Old 11-28-2011, 05:51 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by azc62006
wayne o you live in az its the easiest state to get coverage.. california insurance companies do not offer that type of coverage. it has to be covered under comprehensive... went thru that last year.. i found out that you DO NOT NEED a "hud windshield". they installed a non hud windshield from the dealership and i could see the hud perfectly clear and saved alot of money....wasnt being cheap just being smart...... note if you dont believe me ask those who have had the hud installed after they bought the car....
I was wondering about that when owners do DIY installs on the HUD. I'd like to hear responses from those who did the DIY HUD and if any clarity was lost or gained.

If not, why the difference in windshields and costs.

Get notified of new replies

To need help on windshield replacement

Quick Reply: need help on windshield replacement