C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter driving Summer tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

If you want to drive your C6 thru cold winters, you would be wise to invest in a second set of wheels and true winter tires such as the Pirelli Sottozero (TireRack carries them in C6 sizes). This option will set you back roughly $2K, and provide much improved traction below 40 degrees. NTB charges just $15 each time they swap my winter and summer wheels & tires.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:40 PM
gar4403
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some very informative points made about braking that I had not considered. It makes sense that traction also effects braking and acceleration.

Looks like an all season tire would be a better fit, but that will have to wait for the Firestone Wide Ovals to wear out.

Car is not a daily driver so it looks like I will be selective on when it gets driven ...and very aware of the tire and road conditions.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:51 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gar4403
Just saw a post about a Corvette crash in the Boston area that was related to my thoughts the other day.

This will be my first winter with the Corvette. Personally, I'm gonna keep driving as long as the roads are clear of snow, ice, and salt.

As the weather turns cold in a good part of the country, how safe is it to run summer only tires? Just wondering what others have experienced. Hope this thread will be helpful to other "newbies" this winter.
Not safe at all. Summer tires loose their grip at temperatures below 50 degrees F. Anybody driving Summer tires at temperatures below 50 degrees are negligent drivers, period!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
he needs to get out, and drop his tire pressure down to around 24psi.. then drive like hes got a raw egg between his foot and the accelerator pedal and get the **** off the road.
With run flats that doesn't work since you could run them at 0 psi and have the same footprint as when they are at 30 psi. It isn't so much about driving like you have an egg under your foot but too much torque which can be gotten around by using 2nd or 3rd gear to start out. Amazing how just starting in a higher gear reduces torque and keeps the driver from overpowering the available traction.

Bill
Old 12-04-2011, 09:00 PM
TonyFaub
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/r/29916163/detail.html
Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 PM
C5-JIM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Not safe at all. Summer tires loose their grip at temperatures below 50 degrees F. Anybody driving Summer tires at temperatures below 50 degrees are negligent drivers, period!
Well I guess I am a negligent period. I will continue to drive mine as long as it is not snowing when I leave home. I have been caught in the snow and drove 60 miles and I made it home. My car is not a garage queen and will never be as long as I own the car. Some people can not drive in the summer let alone in the winter.
C5-JIM
Old 12-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The You Tube link pretty much describes what the Montana dealership I got my ZO6 from said. Just a bit of snow in the parking lot, and needed a couple guys to push it. Had a mid 90's Z-28 Camaro, and changed over to Blizzaks in the winter. What a difference. Got caught in a snow storm in this car, with SUV's flying by me. Most ended up spinning into the ditch, as 6000 lbs doesn't stop so good. I just kept cruising along at 35-40 mph.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 PM
caroutisine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C5-JIM
Well I guess I am a negligent period. I will continue to drive mine as long as it is not snowing when I leave home. I have been caught in the snow and drove 60 miles and I made it home. My car is not a garage queen and will never be as long as I own the car. Some people can not drive in the summer let alone in the winter.
C5-JIM

Below 50 degrees...please. Then tires like this should never be put on ANY car. The Gen2 tires are fine at lower temps, just have to drive slower and be more careful. All season tires have less grip at lower temps too. That's like saying anyone who drives on snow and ice covered roads in anyting without tire chains is negligent.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:01 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by caroutisine

Below 50 degrees...please. Then tires like this should never be put on ANY car. The Gen2 tires are fine at lower temps, just have to drive slower and be more careful. All season tires have less grip at lower temps too. That's like saying anyone who drives on snow and ice covered roads in anyting without tire chains is negligent.
Below 50 you are just more cautious with the throttle. I'll drive my Yukon Denali on long trips if snow is threatening though. 6000 lbs keeps the vehicle on the road better. In the end braking is the same for just about all vehicles if the tires are the same type/size.

Quick Reply: Winter driving Summer tires