C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mouse on Engine ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default Mouse on Engine ...

Opened my hood last week and there was a cluster of acorns, shells and debris on the top of the engine, between the FRC and plenum cover, though I thought it odd, figured it just blew in there and clustered due to air circulation. Vacuumed it all up (just a small handfull) and thought no big deal.

Today, I see it again, same cluster of acorn debis, except now I notice a few mouse turds. I GOT A MOUSE ON MY ENGINE!!!

Did not think to photo it but will next time. It's not a warmth thing, as I hardly drive it, but my garage is not enclosed as I have slatted walls, due to FEMA regs and being on the water (clear-story flood elevation). So what to do, I could put poison blocks in there, or glue traps or snap traps - or just let them be??? There is no sign of chewing on anything that I can see ...
Old 12-11-2011, 04:36 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrash
Opened my hood last week and there was a cluster of acorns, shells and debris on the top of the engine, between the FRC and plenum cover, though I thought it odd, figured it just blew in there and clustered due to air circulation. Vacuumed it all up (just a small handfull) and thought no big deal.

Today, I see it again, same cluster of acorn debis, except now I notice a few mouse turds. I GOT A MOUSE ON MY ENGINE!!!

Did not think to photo it but will next time. It's not a warmth thing, as I hardly drive it, but my garage is not enclosed as I have slatted walls, due to FEMA regs and being on the water (clear-story flood elevation). So what to do, I could put poison blocks in there, or glue traps or snap traps - or just let them be??? There is no sign of chewing on anything that I can see ...
I do all three, if they start chewing on wires they can total a car.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:45 PM
ip-do-tan
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I do all three, if they start chewing on wires they can total a car.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Mouse Magic from Agway. Smells like wintergreen. Also good for interior
Old 12-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We use 2 small tupperware containers containing mothballs, several small holes punched in the lids. One between the front wheels, one between the rear wheels of each car. Need to renew your ***** about once per month.

Commercial mouse repellants have not been effective for us.

We also use several tilt-box traps and snap traps around the garage. Glue traps are less helpful in the garage, they get covered with dust/lint. But in your case, I'd put several glue traps under the hood and other places in your car. Those mice can do serious damage.

Good luck, show no mercy!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Can you 'seal' your garage using wire screen and vis-queen on the inside?

When the nuts run out your fresh, big-3 wiring is next on the menu.

The steel-mesh sleeving may slow them down a little though.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a Rat Zapper, you can get it on Amazon. Been using 2 of them for the last 4 years ever since I saw the acorn shells, decon, yes decon under my fuel rail covers, behind the headlight assembly and in the water tray that goes around the perimeter of the rear hatch (you can see it when you lift the hatch).

Works like a charm, is easy and clean. You get a flashing red light, you know one is dead in the trap, pick up the trap and dump it in the trash, put a few more dry dog or cat food pellets and your ready to go. I got 11 field mice and 4 chipmunks last winter alone. Just got a mouse today. 4 AA batteries will last most of the season and good for 50+ kills.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Agri-Zap-RZCOO...3641755&sr=8-2

A friend of mine paid over $1600 to repair the wires chewed by field mice in his Mercedes parked in his garage.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:27 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To give a bit of a levity response, I never have a problem with a mouse since I have a SPS (Sam Protection System). Sam being a Bengal cat>>>

And likes cruising around my Vettes>>

Old 12-11-2011, 05:28 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by j_digi454
I use a Rat Zapper, you can get it on Amazon. Been using 2 of them for the last 4 years ever since I saw the acorn shells, decon, yes decon under my fuel rail covers, behind the headlight assembly and in the water tray that goes around the perimeter of the rear hatch (you can see it when you lift the hatch).

Works like a charm, is easy and clean. You get a flashing red light, you know one is dead in the trap, pick up the trap and dump it in the trash, put a few more dry dog or cat food pellets and your ready to go. I got 11 field mice and 4 chipmunks last winter alone. Just got a mouse today. 4 AA batteries will last most of the season and good for 50+ kills.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Agri-Zap-RZCOO...3641755&sr=8-2

A friend of mine paid over $1600 to repair the wires chewed by field mice in his Mercedes parked in his garage.
Thanks, I just ordered one. That will be my fourth deterrent in my arsenal. Like Gearhead Jim said, show no mercy.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:38 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Good luck on getting rid of them before any havoc is done under the hood
Old 12-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Vel-Yellowc6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know why they like vettes but they sure do. I had my harness chewed a little last year so I started leaving my hood open after that since I never drive it and after that I never had the problem again...
Old 12-11-2011, 05:48 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mice do like certain types of wiring. Had one chew the knock sensor wire on my Acura and left a chicken bone as evidence on the exhaust.

Had to remove the intake plenum to fix the car. It was also not a warmth issue because I rarely drove that car at the time.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:53 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Man, that's kind of a horror story! I have read the chewed wire posts!! My garage is not adequately sealed and the little fellows can come in at will. I have placed several mouse traps in different locations in the garage and have trapped 2 mice, 3 moles and a chipmunk. It feels like trying to empty the ocean with a thimble.

I am going to keep using the traps but add some mothballs underneath. Don't want critters chewin' on my wires!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Dang ... I did a topic search before posting and nada, but sounds like a somewhat common invasion. I can't seal the garage area (its the whole underside of our 3-story house), and any screening would get chewed through easily. I put some poison blocks and 3 glue traps in the engine compartment just now, so will see what the 'morrow may bring.

Note, there was no nesting materials visible, so not sure if they may have invaded other unseen or unreachable sections, and just using the FRC area as their penthouse dining area. Guessing that glue traps w/bait along each wheel may be the best strategy? Thanks for the posts, the advice rocks and LOVE the forum!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 PM
doubledime
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
To give a bit of a levity response, I never have a problem with a mouse since I have a SPS (Sam Protection System). Sam being a Bengal cat>>>

And likes cruising around my Vettes>>

Old 12-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Don't use moth *****, unless you enjoy the smell yourself.
I use dryer sheets around my cars,atv's, and motorcycles. Then I scatter bars of Irish Spring soap around. Leave the soap in the boxes, and open one end.

I don't recall why this stuff works, but it does. Never any trouble in my garage, or shed.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I know I have mice in the garage from time to time as I see the droppings. I use a bar of Irish Spring Soap in the Interior and another bar in the Engine area. I set each on a foam plate. I have never seen any evidence of the mice in or on the car. I hear they really dislike that bar of soap...

I had a friend tell me one time that when he used the Irish Spring Soap that his critters ate the soap. I said I think He is dealing with a much more dangerous critter...

Last edited by PaulB; 12-11-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mouse on Engine ...

Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 PM
CyberBullet
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchsport
Don't use moth *****, unless you enjoy the smell yourself.
I use dryer sheets around my cars,atv's, and motorcycles. Then I scatter bars of Irish Spring soap around. Leave the soap in the boxes, and open one end.

I don't recall why this stuff works, but it does. Never any trouble in my garage, or shed.
Plus it makes your garage smell "Springtime fresh"....sorry could not resist. Sounds like a great idea.

Back on topic. The mouse needs to go. If he is living in your car (and he will start eating parts of it) he is more than likely pilfering other parts of your garge and doing unseen damage elswhere.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:34 PM
drich2905
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

this works great and no traps, dead smell, moth ***** spells lingers forever.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You gotta kill these critters off, as once they've made a warm home in your garage, the only way. Cat's really aren't a solution, as means more available food and water in the open. Check the "bugspray.com" site, click on "M" for mice, and you'll learn all about these critters. My garage is attached/enclosed and still get mice. I always keep a couple peanut butter baited traps, and find fall/winter temp changes bring the critters in. Keep the trap bait areas facing walls, as mice like to walk along them. Get the dead mice outside quickly, as just more food for others, and really start to stink.

Quick Reply: Mouse on Engine ...