C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could a bad starter cause a dead cell in battery?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:30 AM
madcadr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could a bad starter cause a dead cell in battery?

Could a bad starter cause a dead cell in the battery?

Dealership replaced battery first because I got the message "Service Charging System" - They told me that I had to pay for battery because GMPP does not cover it.

THEN, they tell me that the car still would not start and they have to replace the starter - So, I read under my GMPP that a non-covered part WILL be covered if caused by a failure of a COVERED part - Thus the question above.

If a bad starter can cause a dead cell in a battery (Battery only 14 months old) - Then, it SHOULD be covered under GMPP...

Thanks for any answers.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Twisted1
Instructor

Is say it could go both ways.
More likely the bad battery took out the starter.
When your battery has lower voltage(dead cell) it causes the items that use it to draw more amps. So most likely the battery took out the starter.
Id pay for the battery and be happy I got a free OEM starter.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:24 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think he's having to pay for both, but I'd agree that usually when a batt. goes, it can take down a starter. It can also take down an alternator but in the case of the alternator, that's where it can go either way (alternator first). Let's see what others think on this matter tho...
Old 12-15-2011, 08:27 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 202 Posts

I don't think a starter - or any other device - is going to cause a cell to go bad.

GM Delco batteries are not renowned as being the best in the world. And if you run it down to nothing, you've pretty-much ruined it (if that was the case).
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Never heard of a starter causing a dead cell in a battery. They opposite? Yes.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Twisted1
Instructor

I could see where it your battery was low, and lets say the motor was locked up and would not turn... It that case with the starter pulling a huge load and a weak battery I could see it taking out the battery. He does not have this situation, just saying there are ways to kill batteries.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

A bad starter could damage the battery because of excessive high amperage draw. This could over heat the battery and warp the plates damaging a cell/cells. I any event the customer is going to have to talk the dealer into warranty replacement.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:03 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

No. The battery condition would effect starter rpm via reduced amperage available for the cycle, but starter condition would not drive a cell failure Cycle time during start is too short unless there is an imbedded defect in the battery.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:23 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by vettman96
No. The battery condition would effect starter rpm via reduced amperage available for the cycle, but starter condition would not drive a cell failure Cycle time during start is too short unless there is an imbedded defect in the battery.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 PM
madcadr
Racer

Dealership states that if the connection at the starter was loose - or if it had a bad solinoid - Then, yes it could cause damage to the battery (Or something like that - I am stating this the best way I can and I could have something not exactly right...)

They said they are testing the starter/solinoid to see if indeed something was wrong that could have damaged the battery.

Oh well, just curious - it is not the end-of-the-world...

However, if they do find where the starter caused the battery damage - Then, both are covered under GMPP.

I wish I still believed in Santa - I would just ask HIM to bring me a new battery...
Old 12-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard to say what really happened, as had new batteries that lost cells in just a few months. You didn't mention the battery you have, as if only 14 months, should be some kind of warranty coverage on it. I normally get Autozone or Advance Auto Gold series, as have 3 year free replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To Could a bad starter cause a dead cell in battery?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could a bad starter cause a dead cell in battery?