C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Door Dilemma (not the one you think)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 11:56 PM
RightSideUp
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel Door Dilemma (not the one you think)

So I pull up to get gas tonight (literally on "E") and press the button to release the fuel door. I heard a loud "snap" and the fuel door remained closed. Thinking this was some sort of fluke, I pressed the button multiple times to no avail. The door remains closed. Only a faint "click" can be heard now though. Much quieter than the normal release sound. I tugged on the manual release inside the trunk but it didn't seem to be doing anything. I tried pushing in as well as pulling out on the fuel door while pressing the release and also while pulling the manual release.

I pulled the trunk liner back and located the actuator. I can manually manipulate the release and it doesn't seem to be under any spring pressure like you would expect. If I manually slide the release into the open position it just stays there. If I slide it to the locked position and press the release button I get the normal "click" sound as the release opens, but only once. Any further pressing of the release button afterwards results in the much quieter "click" noise as the release does not return to the closed position. Also, while manually manipulating the release, I can hear noises inside the fuel door area. These facts lead me to believe that the release is broken somewhere inside the fuel door. At the very end of the cable. Perhaps the latch itself is broken.

All that being said, I'm not seeing any simple way to open the fuel door without taking the car apart or damaging the fuel door/paint. If anyone has a solution for this I would definitely like to know for future reference. I see lots of videos and forum posts about the "broken spring" fuel door issue, but no solutions for when the door is stuck CLOSED. Not OPEN. Thankfully I was at a local gas station in a good area. I'd hate to be on a road trip at some truck stop and have this happen. Just the thought of being stranded hundreds of miles from home simply because I can't open my fuel door is infuriating.

Also, all replacement parts I can find seem to be the entire actuator, cable and latch assembly. Being as the actuator seems fine, is there any way to buy just a replacement cable and latch?

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Got it open. Video at the bottom of thread.

Last edited by RightSideUp; 10-29-2022 at 03:43 PM.

Popular Reply

10-29-2022, 03:51 PM
RightSideUp
Heel & Toe

VIDEO:

Old 10-28-2022, 09:04 AM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 515 Posts

Sorry I can't help, but just wanted to make a comment about gas caps. My own opinion is that due to the Corvette's racing heritage, I think it would be fine if the Corvette had a nice big exposed gas filler cap that was tastefully integrated into the style of the car. No remote latch needed. Much like on the Shelby Cobra or something like on C2 Corvettes. Hopefully a method could be devised so that the filler cap is secure, while at the same time, it is easily serviceable if the security fails. The grief that RightSideUp is experiencing now is just is not worth it.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:39 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,338 Likes on 1,619 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Sounds almost like the mechanism itself broke internally but the solenoid is still engaging. I'm not entirely sure what the solution is but I believe your going to have to take it apart to get to the route of the problem. You may be able to access it through the wheel liner but dont quote me on that. Worth a look.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:45 AM
RightSideUp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by StayinStock
Sounds almost like the mechanism itself broke internally but the solenoid is still engaging. I'm not entirely sure what the solution is but I believe your going to have to take it apart to get to the route of the problem. You may be able to access it through the wheel liner but dont quote me on that. Worth a look.
Could be, there's no telling. I will post an update when I find what actually broke.

I was able to make it to a friends shop on what little fuel I had. We will be taking it apart there. The videos I've seen all show the wheel and wheel liner being removed and accessing it through there. So I believe you are correct.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:50 AM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

Have you tried taping the painted edges and applying mild pressure to see if the door opens when you activate the opener? Not that it will solve your problem but I'm wondering about the nature of the failure and what others might do in the same situation.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:55 AM
RightSideUp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ClothSeats
Sorry I can't help, but just wanted to make a comment about gas caps. My own opinion is that due to the Corvette's racing heritage, I think it would be fine if the Corvette had a nice big exposed gas filler cap that was tastefully integrated into the style of the car. No remote latch needed. Much like on the Shelby Cobra or something like on C2 Corvettes. Hopefully a method could be devised so that the filler cap is secure, while at the same time, it is easily serviceable if the security fails. The grief that RightSideUp is experiencing now is just is not worth it.
After the events of last night, I can whole heartedly agree with you.

Might be a dumb idea, but it crossed my mind while I had the trunk open. The whole point of the locking fuel door is security. Maybe partially style, but mostly security. What if there was a backup fuel filler inside the trunk? For these occasions, just so you won't get stranded. Definitely something with a non-venting cap (since the one outside does all the venting). Probably a huge safety hazard that manufacturers would rather not deal with. Just a thought.

Last edited by RightSideUp; 10-28-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:01 AM
RightSideUp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Chatman
Have you tried taping the painted edges and applying mild pressure to see if the door opens when you activate the opener? Not that it will solve your problem but I'm wondering about the nature of the failure and what others might do in the same situation.
Actually yes. I had a thin microfiber cloth and my trusty Leatherman tool. I used pressure outward as well as pressing inward while my wife pressed the button and the manual release. I was trying anything. Quite embarrassing at a busy gas station.

Thanks for making that point, hopefully we can make this issue well known and easy to solve.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:11 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,783 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Found this brute force solution on another Corvette forum:
“pryed it open..put piece tape so i can open it with plastic credit card“

They didn’t say if it damaged anything. I’m assuming they would have masked off all contact areas with something like duct tape and used a flat pry bar to spread the pressure over a wider area. I’d hate to be in the position where this was my only option.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:16 AM
RightSideUp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Found this brute force solution on another Corvette forum:
“pryed it open..put piece tape so i can open it with plastic credit card“

They didn’t say if it damaged anything. I’m assuming they would have masked off all contact areas with something like duct tape and used a flat pry bar to spread the pressure over a wider area. I’d hate to be in the position where this was my only option.
Ooh... Makes me cringe just thinking about it. I am curious to see how it was done though. I noticed the fender has a pretty wide flange in the bodywork that the fuel door closes on top of. The catch is also located away from the edge of the door, so reaching it to apply pressure seems almost impossible. If I can solve this puzzle, I'll definitely post a video.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:10 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,783 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by RightSideUp
Ooh... Makes me cringe just thinking about it. …If I can solve this puzzle, I'll definitely post a video.
Well, if it comes down to prying it open, make sure you start the video with the immortal words “Hey everybody! Hold my beer and watch this.”
Old 10-28-2022, 11:25 AM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by RightSideUp
After the events of last night, I can whole heartedly agree with you.

Might be a dumb idea, but it crossed my mind while I had the trunk open. The whole point of the locking fuel door is security. Maybe partially style, but mostly security. What if there was a backup fuel filler inside the trunk? For these occasions, just so you won't get stranded. Definitely something with a non-venting cap (since the one outside does all the venting). Probably a huge safety hazard that manufacturers would rather not deal with. Just a thought.
Actually, the cap outside is sealed airtight. Venting is controlled through the EVAP system. Interesting idea about the emergency filler in the trunk, but probably hazardous because if the trunk gas cap were to start leaking, it would be a huge bomb waiting to happen. But, maybe that emergency filler could be somewhere else that is not so airtight.

My 1960 Corvette just had a cover (similar to C6), but was not latched. Just lift the cover and remove the gas cap. My current Cadillac has a similar cover that you just push on from the outside and it opens to remove the filler tube. There is not even a gas cap on it the filler tube. I suppose a simple system like that on a Corvette would be too insecure due to jealous people that want to cause mischief.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:28 AM
RightSideUp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Well, if it comes down to prying it open, make sure you start the video with the immortal words “Hey everybody! Hold my beer and watch this.”
Wouldn't think of doing it any other way!
Old 10-28-2022, 11:37 AM
RightSideUp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ClothSeats
Actually, the cap outside is sealed airtight. Venting is controlled through the EVAP system. Interesting idea about the emergency filler in the trunk, but probably hazardous because if the trunk gas cap were to start leaking, it would be a huge bomb waiting to happen. But, maybe that emergency filler could be somewhere else that is not so airtight.

My 1960 Corvette just had a cover (similar to C6), but was not latched. Just lift the cover and remove the gas cap. My current Cadillac has a similar cover that you just push on from the outside and it opens to remove the filler tube. There is not even a gas cap on it the filler tube. I suppose a simple system like that on a Corvette would be too insecure due to jealous people that want to cause mischief.
Aah. Should have known that about the EVAP! And yes, a fume filled airtight Corvette does not sound like a fun time. Perhaps I'll leave the design work to the engineers.

The current design is probably the best considering the rarity of a situation like mine. All designs are destined to fail in some way. Would be nice to have one more fail-safe though!
Old 10-28-2022, 06:29 PM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 222 Posts

I don't know if these photos are of any help, they are with the quarter removed. It's a simple plunger that retracts to allow the door to swing open.

The following 6 users liked this post by BigBlok502:
07BlackBlack (10-29-2022), dr_gallup (10-30-2022), FatsWaller (10-29-2022), Mark333 (10-30-2022), mbsigman (10-29-2022), sd45t2 (10-29-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-28-2022, 06:32 PM
RightSideUp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BigBlok502
I don't know if these photos are of any help, they are with the quarter removed. It's a simple plunger that retracts to allow the door to swing open.

Great photos! Very helpful indeed. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2022, 12:45 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Question: How easy is it to remove the entire rear quarter panel. Looks like a really easy way to troubleshoot/work on the mechanism.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:48 PM
RightSideUp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Question: How easy is it to remove the entire rear quarter panel. Looks like a really easy way to troubleshoot/work on the mechanism.
Not sure on that one. Most of the videos I've seen involve removing the wheel and fender liner. Not the entire fender. Definitely would make for easiest access though.

Last edited by RightSideUp; 10-29-2022 at 01:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Door Dilemma (not the one you think)

Old 10-29-2022, 01:00 PM
RightSideUp
Heel & Toe

Small update:

The dealerships seem to be the only ones who keep this part in stock aside from online parts stores. Here is the part name and number for anyone interested: Fuel Filler Door Lock Actuator - GM (25744292)

Can't seem to find the individual cable and plunger, only the entire actuator assembly. Kind of a bummer. I'd like to have an extra cable/plunger for a spare. It would be a cheap part that could easily be stored in the trunk. That way if I ever have this problem again it would be a simple matter of finding some tools to make the repair. Regardless of how far away from home I am.

The nearest dealer with one in stock is about 120 miles from me. $160 with tax. I have a friend who will be passing through that area this weekend. Should have the part in hand by the start of next week. Will post an update then.

Haven't had a chance to disassemble the car yet. Waiting to get the part in so I can put it all back together in the same day.
The following users liked this post:
mbsigman (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 03:41 PM
RightSideUp
Heel & Toe

UPDATE:

Fuel door is open!!! After brainstorming all day I figured I'd give it one more try before resorting to taking the car apart. I know I still have to make the repair, but I'd rather do it at my place and not have my car stranded on someone else's property.

The effort paid off and I was able to open the fuel door, fill her up and bring her home. Also, to anyone else who may wind up in this situation, I'm making a video to show you how I did it.

So no, you don't have to be stranded hundreds of miles from home if this ever happens to you. And yes, you can get the fuel door open without damaging anything.
The following users liked this post:
ClothSeats (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 03:51 PM
RightSideUp
Heel & Toe

VIDEO:

The following 9 users liked this post by RightSideUp:
4SUMERZ (10-29-2022), 87SAM (10-29-2022), BigBlok502 (10-29-2022), dr_gallup (10-30-2022), FatChance (10-29-2022), mbsigman (10-29-2022), sd45t2 (10-29-2022), TCW (10-31-2022), Whatscooking (10-30-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Fuel Door Dilemma (not the one you think)