C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 911 vs C6 - Opinions, Please?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:11 PM
NFexec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Porsche 911 vs C6 - Opinions, Please?

So....... I've been a member here for almost 7 years and periodically read through many threads here or there. A few years ago I came very close to getting a new C6 vert - pretty loaded. Long story short. It didn't happen. I am on the fence regarding my next sports car purchase (or new car lease??). I am thinking of getting either a slightly used Porache 911 Carerra (base - not S or turbo) vs a C6. Either would be automatic (legs not getting any younger). And I've read a few posts comparing the more powerful 911's to the Corvettes, and many say things like:

Porsche has much better interior, handles more planted - especially in the twisties - more comfortable DD, more upscale brand and image. However, maintenance costs can be scary depending on how its used, age, etc. (I do know oil changes are not cheap).

The C6 is faster than a base Carerra and in the longer run is less expensive to own and maintain - probably by thousands if not tens of thousands. However, the C6 isn't quite as well built in terms of fit and finish, quality of design and interior. And the Chevy has more likelihood of squeeks and rattles than the P-car. With AWD, the Porsche provides more grip and gives the driver more "controlled" feedback (quotes are from what I've read; not sure exactly what that means, but I think I get it).

Some prefer the look of the 911 over the C6, and vise versa. I personally think the C6 is the sexiest and most rugged looking sports car made under $70K. But I also think the 911 is very classy and sublime in its design features. Maybe more luxurious and luscious along with sporty.

So - I'm asking those of you who have either considered the choice yourselves, or have actually owned and/or driven each car a fair amount. Why would you want one car over the other. Again -- buying used (CPO, low mileage, under warranty). The price difference is certainly one reason (as little as $5K and as much as $20K). But I'm looking for other reasons. Why am I asking? Because I sense some of you have some very valid experiences and opinions on this and I can use all the help I can get for this one!

Is the Corvette really inferior to the Porsche? And/or Is the Porsche really worth the extra cash?

(btw... I don't track; these would be DD's used for my own 61 year old sense of personal enjoyment and pride). Thanks, folks!

Doug
Old 12-19-2011, 02:40 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I have never personally owned a Porsche. However, my brother in law had a convertible Carrera and I have a C6 Vert. Both of us drove each other's cars for a while and compaared notes. While the Porsche my have a slight (again slight IMO) edge in the cornering, we both felt the Vette won in every other category.

He has since sold the Porsche and bought a (ugh) 350Z. Pretty big downgrade!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 02:57 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I have owned both, I have owned 3 Porsche 911's one of which was a Turbo. Big difference you have to get out of the way first is the money difference. Once you are past that, for me the Vette is better looking, the quality is fine, maintenance is way cheaper, and performance is excellent.
I can not find much fault with the Porsche, it is a super sports car but in my opinion the Vette offers more for the money in every way.
You really need to drive both because they are different in ways that are hard to explain in writing.
You get a different feel behind the wheel that will without doubt make your decision a lot easier.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:59 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO....go with the Corvette. I've seen a lot of Porsche run on the Hockenheim Ring race track; they're awesome sport cars. Maybe i should buy a used one. Lol
Old 12-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Mikev078
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I have owned both, I have owned 3 Porsche 911's one of which was a Turbo. Big difference you have to get out of the way first is the money difference. Once you are past that, for me the Vette is better looking, the quality is fine, maintenance is way cheaper, and performance is excellent.
I can not find much fault with the Porsche, it is a super sports car but in my opinion the Vette offers more for the money in every way.
You really need to drive both because they are different in ways that are hard to explain in writing.
You get a different feel behind the wheel that will without doubt make your decision a lot easier.
Go test drive both and whichever one you enjoy more will be the answer you're looking for goodluck with the selection
Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 PM
NFexec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies thus far. I should mention that winter is about to do its ugly thing around these parts, so I won't be test driving anything for a while. I posted my thread hoping to gather some more information to digest over the winter. I like to really think about these sorts of things!

Thanks.

Doug
Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

One looks like a well used bar of soap. One doesn't.

That was enough for me.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:19 PM
rc135_tx
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My simplistic, narrow outlook: In all but snob appeal, the cars are extremely similar. So, support a carmaker based in our country .
Old 12-19-2011, 03:27 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by OnPoint

That was enough for me.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Deceptikon
Racer

I would get both.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Deceptikon
Racer

That was enough for me.
Which one looks like soap?
Old 12-19-2011, 03:49 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Deceptikon
Which one looks like soap?

The base P car.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Deceptikon
Racer

The base P car.
Ohhh, sort of does look like soap. That's some expensive soap
Old 12-19-2011, 04:22 PM
PHXAZ06
Pro

My car immediately previous to my Z06 was a 2006 (997.1) Carrera S. I wish I still had the 911, but I'm only allowed one toy at a time.

I don't think you can find 2 cars that are more different as far as driver experience is concerned - 1 a rear engine highly refined sports car, and the other a front engine not-so-refined sports car.

The Porsche goes about it's business with finesse, and the Corvette kicks you in the seat of your pants.

Styling is subjective, and there's no mistaking either car. Both will have you going out to the garage and grinning from ear to ear.

Desirability - I'd give this to the Porsche, as there simply aren't as many on the road and it's implied greater worth. You will pay for that in up front cost, but get it back when you sell. Percentage wise - the Porsche is probably the better investment. I drove mine a year for $1500, and I doubt I'll do that good on the Z.

to learn more about Porsche's, as you've already found a great Corvette website, go to rennlist.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 PM
THE BUD MAN
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have had both and there is no WRONG decision here. The 2 issues I had with the Porsche vs a Corvette are: EVERYTHING on the Porsche is extremely expensive so if money is any kind of an issue a Porsche is not a good choice. Secondly if you will use this car to travel there is no room to carry much of anything.....especially a set of golf clubs. That being said, I LOVED the 911 as much as I love the vette
Old 12-19-2011, 04:37 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

To answer your two questions: Yes, and No.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:40 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Go drive both, that's the best way to decide.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche 911 vs C6 - Opinions, Please?

Old 12-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We prefer the C6 over the Porsche because of:

Transparent removable top.
Big trunk.
Parts and service available anywhere in U.S.
Rustproof/dentproof body panels.
Styling.

Purely a matter of personal taste.

The lower cost was nice, but not the main issue.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:44 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't care much for the looks of the 911 personally, if you're not happy with the interior of the 'vette, it's easy to have changed out.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PHXAZ06
My car immediately previous to my Z06 was a 2006 (997.1) Carrera S. I wish I still had the 911, but I'm only allowed one toy at a time.

I don't think you can find 2 cars that are more different as far as driver experience is concerned - 1 a rear engine highly refined sports car, and the other a front engine not-so-refined sports car.

The Porsche goes about it's business with finesse, and the Corvette kicks you in the seat of your pants.

Styling is subjective, and there's no mistaking either car. Both will have you going out to the garage and grinning from ear to ear.

Desirability - I'd give this to the Porsche, as there simply aren't as many on the road and it's implied greater worth. You will pay for that in up front cost, but get it back when you sell. Percentage wise - the Porsche is probably the better investment. I drove mine a year for $1500, and I doubt I'll do that good on the Z.

to learn more about Porsche's, as you've already found a great Corvette website, go to rennlist.
Same Here, thought mine was an '07 model. I found the Porsche to have a really good build quality, The best steering I've ever personally experienced, and decent HP (355 in mine).

On the down side, torque was less than I wanted (280 ft-lbs, if memory serves), the gas mileage was worse than I expected - because the short gearing (3100 RPMs at 80 mph), and there were numerous ideosyncracies in the design and driver interface (ignition key on the left, if you stall the car with a stick, you have to turn the key all the way off before you can restart, etc).

Overall, it was a good car, but it didn't make me smile when I drove it like the vette does. I kept it two years and sold it at a slight loss to buy the C6Z.

Here in the Bay Area, Porsches are almost a dime a dozen, equaling or outnumbering vettes.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 vs C6 - Opinions, Please?