C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another winter storage ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:26 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Another winter storage ?

I'm trying to avoid what happened after last winters storage. I pulled my 07 coupe with 15k miles at the time out of the garage to find a few dime size drops of oil on the floor all around the pan area. Is there anything I can do to avoid this. It never happend again because th car doesn't sit for longer then a couple days during the rest of the year. Should I start the car once a week and let it iddle for 10-20 minutes or back it in and out of the driveway like some have suggested doing? Is it not that big of a deal since this is a known issue with the C6 oil pan seals?

Last edited by studiovette; 12-27-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by studiovette
I'm trying to avoid what happened after last winters storage. I pulled my 07 coupe with 15k miles at the time out of the garage to find a few dime size drops of oil on the floor all around the pan area. Is there anything I can do to avoid this. It never happend again because th car doesn't sit for longer then a couple days during the rest of the year. Should I start the car once a week and let it iddle for 10-20 minutes or back it in and out of the driveway like some have suggested doing? Is it not that big of a deal since this is a known issue with the C6 oil pan seals?
Weird..... mine has sat for the last three winters and the pan was completely dry. Sure you don't have a bigger issues (seal, loose oil plug, etc)?
Old 12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT
Weird..... mine has sat for the last three winters and the pan was completely dry. Sure you don't have a bigger issues (seal, loose oil plug, etc)?

What he said!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:24 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

If it happened more then once I would say I have a problem. It's been totally dry since then so I guess I will not worry about it. Hopefully I won't get the same surprise this Spring. Or I will try to drive the Vette weather permitting.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Just put a pan under it. I use an old scrap piece of OSB plywood under my 78. It has a few leaks.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:05 PM
mew
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Were the drops possibly from some spillage from an oil change? Did you have the oil changed prior to parking it for the winter and the spilled oil made its way to the pan and dripped on the floor?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:52 PM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Old 12-27-2011, 02:57 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mew
Were the drops possibly from some spillage from an oil change? Did you have the oil changed prior to parking it for the winter and the spilled oil made its way to the pan and dripped on the floor?
Good point. I did change the oil prior to storage so very well could have been. The oil looked pretty fresh as i recall but then again my garage is dry and heated so I have no way of knowing if the leak occured early or late in the winter. I will be surely be monitoring it closely this time.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

you have an oil leak
Old 12-27-2011, 05:06 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds to me that you should be asking your repair facility and not necessarily here.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:34 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
you have an oil leak
Originally Posted by rakuhn
It sounds to me that you should be asking your repair facility and not necessarily here.

An oil leak would be a constant nuisance of oil staining my garage floor. I would think that cars that leak oil all the time regardless of how often they sit or are driven. In my case it was a 1 time thing over the course of owning the car for 2 years and it never happened again. Like I said above hopefully this spring I will be leak free. My oil was changed last month so I will monitor it as the car sits from now till .....

Thanks for your replies.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:18 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

An oil leak would be a constant nuisance of oil staining my garage floor. I would think that cars that leak oil all the time regardless of how often they sit or are driven. In my case it was a 1 time thing over the course of owning the car for 2 years and it never happened again. Like I said above hopefully this spring I will be leak free. My oil was changed last month so I will monitor it as the car sits from now till .....
As a previous poster said, it's probably a little oil spilled during the last oil change. You might find it if you can safely jack it up and crawl underneath with a flashlight.

Anyway, I agree you should monitor it. Might want to check the oil level, too.

But like you say, I bet it's fine after you drive it this coming Spring.

I doubt it's like the situation I had with an 03 Mach 1. Spilled oil pooled in a hidden nook above & behind the front spoiler... vigorous g's caused a small oil dribble, which persisted for weeks until I found the oil pool and sopped it up with a rag.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Thanks for your replies.
my oil leak wasn't consistent, sometimes I would get oil once in a few months, the seepage can be slow at times
Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would start it up every week, just leave an auto tender on it.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

studiovette,
It might not be a bad idea to get it looked at if you notice this occur again. However, I'd still recommend using a battery tender and starting it once a week or so just as a precaution. Hope everything works out.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

Get notified of new replies

To Another winter storage ?

Quick Reply: Another winter storage ?