C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Day in the Life of a Corvette Owner...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:06 PM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Default A Day in the Life of a Corvette Owner...

Folks,

I haven't been driving my Red 2005 C6 for long, and so I wanted to share with ya'll something that happened today, which seems to be happening more and more, and getting more comical each occurrence. This is a bit long, but oh well, it's MLK Day and I'm off of work.

I've read with interest the questions other CF members have put forth as to whether driving a Corvette incites anger, envy, disdain, and sometimes even the rage of other non-Corvette drivers, even as we, Vette drivers, go about our business on the roads of Anytown, USA. Some agree; others disagree. Some members caution that we (the Vette owners) not be the ones to bring the negative attention onto ourselves by driving like...jack asses. Others confirm the notion that the fault properly lies with the non-Vette folks. Now, I don't know if red is just not a very popular color right now in the Big Easy, with the Saints losing to the Niners and all, but allow me to share my experience.

I was driving down a State Hwy, today, preparing to enter the left-turn only lanes of the interstate on ramp. The turn is a double lane that, once the turn is made onto the on-ramp proper, merges into one. There is a traffic signal to direct traffic. About 100 yards from entering the turn I was cut off by a late-2000 model Jeep Cherokee with a 5.7 liter badge displayed on the tail hatch. No big deal. I never did get a look at the gender/age of the driver, but, regardless, I scooted in right behind him into position number 2 in the left lane of the double lane turn. A few seconds later the lanes began to fill up and the right lane lead was occupied by a mid 2000 grey Toyota Camary Avalon being driven by a scruffy headed blond teen male, who was not shy about breaking his neck to take a look at my car. He was closely followed by a white Volvo SUV being driven by a seemingly old and bitter looking middle-aged female, who personified the definition of someone that looks...old and bitter.

For the record, I was not in any way trying to draw attention to myself. I was just sitting in traffic, minding my own business, waiting for the light to go green. I can't say the same for my B&B Bullets. The fact that we were stopped underneath an overpass surely helped to magnify their sweet sound. It's almost like an exhaust machine gun, steadily spitting out round after round of Full Metal Jacket-tipped exhaust bursts, flowing from the chromed-tipped barrels of a a quad anti-boredom gun that's perched on the lower deck of the C6's rear diffuser, eager to take down an unassuming or disrespectful road rival. Wow...

Anyway, after about 45 seconds, the light turns green, and the Cherokee departs with the same **** and vinegar as it displayed when it cut me off. I ease off the clutch to engage first gear as I begin my left turn up the ramp, without any malice towards those around me, and since I have the number 2 position on the inside lane, clearly I have the advantage over cars 1 and 2 in the right lane, especially considering that the on-ramp merges left into one lane prior to entering the interstate. As a result, I have the right of way.

Now, since the kid was still daydreaming about what he would rather be driving, he did not react well to the signal change, and it didn't dawn on him that the light actually turned green until I was parallel to him. But, as you would have guess it, Goldie-Locks is having none of it! I don't know if he was just caught in the moment (dreaming he was actually driving something other than momma's Avalon), but he goosed the 4-door sedan and followed the Cherokee's lead, barely squeezing in front of me within the allotted merge distance. Oh well, in my younger days I may have, once or twice, stretched the legs out on my mother's Oldsmobile station wagon. No harm no foul. At least he didn't make me slow down.

By now I'm making my way into third gear, but in my distracted moment of reminiscing I failed to spot Large Marge approaching rapidly up the right hand lane, pedal to the metal, nicely tucked in behind Goldie's draft, and forcing me to ease of the gas a bit as she apparently HAD to cut me off and get in front of me. I don't know if this woman was recently divorced from a fellow Vette owner, if she just despises the male gender, or both, but it goes without saying that she hasn't been properly satisfied by...anyone...in a long time.

To be clear, I actually don't mind aggressive drivers too much. I lived in Saudi Arabia for 4 1/2 years. You haven't experienced aggressive (read: stupid) driving until you have driven in a 3rd world country. It was, literally, Mad Max everyday to and from work. Back to my competitors: if these three were going to extrapolate their on-ramp acceleration antics out into the interstate, then I would have probably just settled into the right lane and never gave it much more thought. But much to my dismay, as soon as they were on the freeway, they all dialed it in at 70! Yes, 70!!!!!! Not even 75. No, 70! The speed limit! Apparently, they just had to get in front of...me. Well, I had had enough.

If they wanted a private display of American-born acceleration, by all means ask! I'm happy to demonstrate. But, if you hate me solely because my car is beautiful, then let me part ways with you as fast as possible! Let's just say 3rd gear is even sweeter with the B&B's firing at max rate. Had my new-found opponents been enemy aircraft, they would have had their wings cut-off, and then crash-dived a fiery death into the Pacific. In the end, I passed the Cherokee without bothering to know the age or gender of the driver. I'm fairly positive that if Blondie liked the Vette before, he probably had a stain in his pants from excitement, and Marge...well, she'll never change!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the same philosophy - Wait for all the peckerheads to work things out ...... then pass them all!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Its weird because if one has driven a Vette for any length of time (most of us have) one will invariably experience a similar version of the above story. Multiple times. There is definitely something about our Cars that brings out weird behavior from fellow motorists.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:46 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Our Vettes do bring out the rage within of many.Over the past few years the country has embraced the class warfare thing and we are perceived as the haves by the beauty of our vehicle.My mother would say misery loves company so rather than be made miserable by some idiot I have decided to take the roads less traveled when I drive the Vette to work or religate my cruising to early weekend mornings.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 275 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

In my 800 miles on my new vette I have been cut off and taunted by others but no never mind I won't be intimidated by those wanna be's.

BTW that was a great tail I'm sure the whole incident was less than 3 minutes but you did it justice. You should be a writer.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Jimsan
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Amen--- people turn into idiots when they see a 'vette, either race the ramp or slow down and gawk---- and always try to get in front of you and "drag their feet"
Old 01-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well expressed and written JockamoIPA. I must agree with those that have replied before me. We have all seen this rodeo a time or two, I now just wait for the idjits to settle into their rhythm and then downshift, signal and let em hear the Borla Touring music as the LS3 gulp air up to 6500 rpm and grab another gear.

Deep down, you know they love it too. About 1 out of 10 times I don't do anything and just hang back and know they are waiting for the show. Too bad, not today.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:38 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

I just have 1 comment. GO NINERS!!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 PM
C3-PO
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default thinking outside the bucket ....

i don't think it's rage or envy, as much as it is an undaunted fact, that the other drivers (as many as there are ) really believe that "you" are not going to jeopardize the "beautiful" Vette (any year) that your driving. they just know your car is more costly to fix. screw'em ... shine them on. keep your eyes open and drive defensively.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:44 PM
TonyFaub
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting tale, probably more common than you know...
Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

Hate to sound a discordant note in such a well-crafted and enjoyable symphony -- and I certainly second your decision to append the appropriately accelerated double-forte B&B Coda at the end -- but I take only Large Marge to task. Around here (Chicago area) there are lots of places where two lanes merge into one. The way most folks do it is by interleaving; if one lane (say the right lane) is disappearing in the merge, then a car from the left lane is followed by a car from the right lane which is followed by a car from the left lane. Truthfully, there's no other fair way to do it and keep traffic moving in some predictable, structured way. Otherwise, a string of cars from here to Indiana will be stranded in the right lane. So, in your case, as much as it hurts to say it, the wet-eared kid sitting first in the right lane would go before you who were sitting second in the left lane. Large Marge, on the other hand, was askin' for a smokin'. Still, I loved the virtuosity of your presentation.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:53 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MKenM
In my 800 miles on my new vette I have been cut off and taunted by others but no never mind I won't be intimidated by those wanna be's.

BTW that was a great tail I'm sure the whole incident was less than 3 minutes but you did it justice. You should be a writer.
My thought exactly. A tip o the hat to a well written post.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:01 PM
clarkakirby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JockamoIPA
I'm fairly positive that if Blondie liked the Vette before, he probably had a stain in his pants from excitement, and Marge...well, she'll never change!
What a well-turned phrase: "...had a stain in his pants from excitement...". Change "excitement" to "excrement" and the stain would have been at the rear of his pants! -Clark
Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyFaub
Interesting tale, probably more common than you know...
Try driving a with a horse or an auto trailer....other drivers will do almost anything so they're not behind you.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 AM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Wonder if Lambo and Ferrari owners experience the same thing or worse
Old 01-17-2012, 01:54 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks guys! Enjoyed reading the replies as much as I enjoyed telling my tale.

I'm sure I'll have many more to share in the future.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:27 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Good story. Thanks for sharing it.

Get notified of new replies

To A Day in the Life of a Corvette Owner...

Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 AM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only had my vette now for about a week but can already notice being cut-out more often than any other car I've owned. I drive the Cherokee SRT and never, ever get cut-out (probably because of it's size). Driving the Benz I get it some but not like the vette. I can't go 5 miles without being cut-out 3 times. Either they don't see me down there being that low or like others have said.. "oh it's a vette, screw him I'm getting over". Needless to say it's not something I'm used to and will have to learn patience driving it.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:37 AM
hawkandersonjr
Burning Brakes

Location: US-ARMY 1974-1996 Retired ; Oklahoma, City ; Atlanta, Ga: Hephzibah, Ga
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Thought it was just me.

I am glad you posted this story, because no one would have believed me. I have experienced some of the same weird things from other drivers since I bought my 05 Precision Red. That color red draws them like a magnet especially when you park off from everyone. There will be fifty spaces and when you return there is someone right next to you with just enough space to open the door halfway. I just park now like I do when I park my Dodge Ram and hope no one damages it out of spite.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Do you think sometimes they are breaking b**ls or just admiring the beauty of the car.....had 2 guys in a Maxima following me rather closely recently, never tried to pass me, just followed, at one point I sped up a bit and passed a few cars in the left lane, they just stayed right behind me. Didn't know whether to be pissed or not, you think they were "waiting for the show"? I've had this happen a few times, not sure how to take it.

Quick Reply: A Day in the Life of a Corvette Owner...