C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar cut me a deal on the full package! >

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default OnStar cut me a deal on the full package! >

FYI ... For anyone here that would be considering renewing your OnStar after the free 6 months trial service is over:

I know many of you folks don't have alot of good things to say about OnStar, but for me, I actually like the Turn-by-Turn Navigation, and use it quite often. It's also nice to have the extra in-car OnStar cellphone available, even though I don't use it very often.

But, I really don't want to pay the $299 per year cost of the full OnStar "Directions & Connections" package when my OnStar trial version expires.

The thing is ... OnStar has my credit card info on file since I initially bought minutes for the in-car OnStar cellphone when I first purchased my 2011 GS from MacMulkin. If I did nothing, OnStar would start charging my credit card when the free 6 months trial version is over ... So, today I called them and told them I want my credit card info removed from my account. I told them I would have to think hard and long whether or not I want to pay the $299 per year to keep the full OnStar "Directions & Connections" plan.

Well, the guy removes my credit card info like I requested, but says he wants to transfer me to there "Loyalty Dept". I said OK, I have nothing to loose.

Told the guy at the Loyalty Dept the same thing I told the Onstar rep I first talked too .. Basically told him 300 bucks per year is too expensive, and that I might just buy a GPS instead.

Well, he offered my the full OnStar package for $199 per year instead of $299. I said I would have to think about it first. Then he offered me an additional 100 minutes of the OnStar cellphone if I would consider staying with OnStar.

I said ok ... So I got the $300 a year package for 200 bucks a year + 100 free minutes of cellphone time.

Not a bad deal if you ask me.

I am not trying to sell OnStar to anyone here ... But, if your considering keeping the full OnStar package when your 6 months freebee runs out, you may want to try what I just did.

I'm just trying to save someone some money here.

BTW ... I once asked here in a post if anyone has ever got a discount on the full $299 "Directions & Connections" plan ... Never saw a post where anyone did get a discount (other than a discount on the base "Safe & Sound" plan that does not include the Turn-by-Turn navigation)

Hope this info helps somebody.

Ron,
Old 12-29-2011, 01:23 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Good information for sure Ron, thank you for sending it out.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:37 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Onstar has always had great Customer Service.
Now XM, on the other hand.......
Old 12-29-2011, 01:55 PM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

I don't plan to renew OnStar for my Vette...however for my wifes 06 Monte Carlo SS we renew each year and have had the service steady since 2000.

I like having OnStar for her and we have used it several times. Recently, over the holidays I let my Sister and Husband use our Monte Carlo to drive 2 hours away to my Fathers house, from there they would drop the car at the Atlanta Airport and I would fetch it later in the day.

The plan was for them to lock the keys in the car and I would use the other set to gain entry. As it turned out, my Brother in Law discovered as he was going throught Airport Security that he left his wallet in the car, but now has no keys to unlock it. It looked like his trip was fixing to cost a whole lot more with change fees for a later flight.

I called OnStar, they unlocked the car, he got his wallet and made it to his flight back to Dallas, TX....thank you OnStar.

Agree with the comment XM is tougher to deal with, but they will cut you a deal if pressed. I have XM on my daily driver and her SS, but do find my iPod is getting more use than XM and may not renew.

Thanks for sharing TurboTA

Last edited by JKbride; 12-29-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:36 PM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Default info

good info, thanks for sharing. My 6 months free runs out in April
Old 12-29-2011, 02:56 PM
JLargo
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have been debating, but will probably renew.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

ttt
Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 PM
dragpak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info thank you.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:36 PM
2toys
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Turbo, you're not the a**wipe I thought you were, Sorry couldn't resist!!

I only get to use the Vette 6 months of the year and even then not on excessive rainy days. But the wife doesn't like the factory Nav in her STS and sticks a Garmin on the faceplate. If I can score that deal I think I'll get it for her.

Wouldn't have known if you hadn't posted.... thanks.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Still to expensive for my needs. Glad you received a deal though.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 PM
CyberBullet
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Good for you. They tried to cut me a deal but I just dont drive the car enough to make it worth my while. Same for the XM. Dont get me wrong I enjoy the car alot but it is my nice wekend occasional driver.

Besides, my wife is always telling me where to go.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Still to expensive for my needs. Glad you received a deal though.
Yup...useless to most of us. Like throwing $$$ away.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 PM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticblast
Onstar has always had great Customer Service.
Now XM, on the other hand.......
Old 12-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by 2toys
Thanks Turbo, you're not the a**wipe I thought you were, Sorry couldn't resist!!

I only get to use the Vette 6 months of the year and even then not on excessive rainy days. But the wife doesn't like the factory Nav in her STS and sticks a Garmin on the faceplate. If I can score that deal I think I'll get it for her.

Wouldn't have known if you hadn't posted.... thanks.
If you have Onstar active and store the car for winter, you can call Onstar and tell them.
Then they will suspend the subscription until you call in the Spring, or when ever you start driving it again and they'll reactivate it.
If for example you didn't drive it for 4 months, they will then "extend/add" those 4 months onto the end of your subscription when you call them again.
So, if your subscription was for 12 months, you'll actually get 16 months for the price of 12 , albeit you didn't drive it for 4 months.

In my case, I called about getting a discount for the Safe and Sound plan on 2 vehicles.
They offered me $149.++ for each vehicle for 14 months
When storing the Vette for winter I call them to suspend coverage, then call again in the Spring to reactivate it, all at no extra charge.
So, depending on how long winter lasts, I can get 15-16 months between renewal on the Vette
Old 12-30-2011, 12:17 AM
AGFNTB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cancelled both my On-Star and my XM subscriptions a couple of weeks ago as I now play my Slacker (internet radio) to my car stereo through my Android devices (either my phone or tablet using the Kawal PAL) and don't really need the On-star. When I cancelled both I cited "cost cutting" as my reason. In both situations I was offered a range of offers. Each time I declined the offer they countered with a better one. May be a good tactic for those of you wanting to use these services but lower your spend.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

ACFNTB ... "May be a good tactic for those of you wanting to use these services but lower your spend".

AGFNTB ... And that's exactly why I posted this here ... To help the person that does want to keep the full OnStar package that came with the car, but would like to get it cheaper than the $299 advertised price.

Of course, when someone makes a similar post like this one I started, 50% of the members that respond to the thread will tell you the reasons why they don't want OnStar.

Oh well
Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Here are the reasons not to renew OnStar. I am sure there are others.

- It will not be there when you need it the most. OnStar relies on power from your battery. If your accident is severe it cannot call out.

- Turn by turn navigation can be replaced by a cheap NAV unit. Many have done this.

- Phone minutes are expensive. Most of us have cell phones anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar cut me a deal on the full package! >

Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

b4i4getit .... I am thinking that you might want to start your own thread titled:

"List Your Reasons Why Not To Get OnStar"
Old 12-30-2011, 10:04 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
b4i4getit .... I am thinking that you might want to start your own thread titled:

List your reasons why you need it. I've had OnStar from day one on every GM car for a year (until it expires) and have NEVER used or needed it!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:50 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA

Not really. I just think its kind of strange that it is sold as a protection device when it fails miserably. So many people have a false sence of security with OnStar.

Do yourself a favour. Push the blue button and ask them what the FCH (failed to call home) rate is. They have this information provided thru GM but won't tell you because it is much higher than they want to admit. OnStar is all about marketing. They do it well but the revenue base is decreasing as people really look at what they are getting.

Check this link for more great information about OnStar.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/onstar.html

Last edited by b4i4getit; 12-30-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: OnStar cut me a deal on the full package! >