C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here of LS3 engine oil leak at oil pan gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,096 Likes on 1,732 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Default Anyone here of LS3 engine oil leak at oil pan gasket?

I read a post that someone wrote today that mentions that ALL LS3 engines leak at the oil pan gasket never heard of such a problem but does it exist and should we be worried and what causes it ? Thanks Dave
Old 12-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Type in LS3 oil pan leak in the Search box above and look at how many posts there are IRT (in regards to for those from Rio Linda) this issue. Not ALL LS3 engines have an oil pan leak, the number of LS3's that are hand built and go into the 2010 Grand Sport with the MN6 stick and 10 qt. dry sump oil system don't leak or haven't been talked about leaking here, but quite a few non hand built LS3's do. Shame GM hasn't assigned a couple of engineers to find out the cause and fix it. GM has spent alot of $$$ on waranty repair for this issue since 2008 when they brought out the LS3.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Joegovette
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

It exists. Just had mine repaired on my 10 GS coupe a couple of weeks ago. It isn't all LS3's, but the mechanic that did mine said that he is getting a lot of the camaro's with LS3's. There aren't a whole lot of vettes around here with LS3's. Mine was the first GS that he had done.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:31 PM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how many of these "leaks" can be fixed by re-torquing the oil pan bolts? I know if I notice it on mine this is what I'll be trying first. If that doesn't work then I just may live with a little seepage. I don't feel it's worth giving it to the monkeys around here to try and fix it, would probably come back with five other things needing fixing and I'd be lucky if the leak was even fixed...lol
Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got the oil pan on my LS7 repaired for a leaking gasket yesterday. It wasn't leaving any spots on the floor but the oil pan had a light coating on it.

The service advisor told me of a ZR1 with only 3500miles having the same issue and that its not uncommon for these cars. The tech that did mine told me he had done at least half a dozen already.

So, don't assume this is only a problem with non-handbuilt motors.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:33 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I had my 2008 C6 (built 08/07) in for an oil change several years ago and my service tech spotted what he thought was a small leak coming from the pan. He put some dye in it and I drove it for a couple of weeks, took it back and he saw where it was leaking. He replaced the pan gasket and it's been good ever since.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The GM mechanic that repaired my oil pan leak said the factory puts silicone in the four corners of the gasket, then puts the gasket on the pan, lifts the pan/gasket up and attaches both to the oil pan flange on the block. What he does on these Camaro/C6 with LS3's leak repairs is clean the oil pan flange and applies a thin coat of silicone around the complete oil pan flange and puts the oil pan gasket in place on the siliconed oil pan flange. He then puts a thin bead of silicone around the complete oil pan flange on the bottom of the block. Then the oil pan with gasket is then put in place and torqued to spec. He lets it set overnight, then the next morning adds the Mobil1 and filled new AC Delco filter. Fires it up, check for initial leaks and then takes if for a short drive till the oil reaches normal running temp and brings it back for another look see. He hasn't had one leak yet after his fix.

Apparently the oil pan is initially installed with the aluminum pan gasket, that has an O ring around the inside perimeter of the gasket, with just the four dabs of silicone in the corners, then applied to the oil pan flange on the bottom of the block. You would think the soft oil pan gasket with O ring would be sufficienc, but apparently the spec oil pan bolt torque doesn't always make for a good, life long seal.

I still haven't read on this forum of a hand built LS3 leaking yet.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:39 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by JRHAWK9
I wonder how many of these "leaks" can be fixed by re-torquing the oil pan bolts? I know if I notice it on mine this is what I'll be trying first. If that doesn't work then I just may live with a little seepage. I don't feel it's worth giving it to the monkeys around here to try and fix it, would probably come back with five other things needing fixing and I'd be lucky if the leak was even fixed...lol

Without fail, I get scratches in the paint every time.

Now just to add insult, when I put my company car in the shop (the one I don't give a rats *** about) - no scratches !!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by JRHAWK9
Mine had a slight leak/seep starting by 20k miles, dealer re-torqued the pan bolts at about 35k miles, still ok at 39k. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 12-30-2011, 11:07 PM
MR_JLR
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Had my oil pan replaced two months ago, no sign of anymore leaks/seep yet...
Old 12-31-2011, 01:09 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,096 Likes on 1,732 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Did a little more research and found some LS2 engines also have the problem ...
Old 01-12-2012, 10:27 AM
h011yw00d
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just took my 08 for an oil change and they spotted my leak as well. 26k on the clock. Glad the warranty is picking it up.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:15 PM
bigblock455
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this covered under the 3yr/36,000 or the longer drivetrain one? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM
h011yw00d
Cruising

Powertrain covered, they found my power steering lines leaking as well today. $600 ouch. And that's with a discount.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:38 PM
SharkByte
Le Mans Master

I don't know about LS3's but I just had my LS2 in for an oil pan gasket leak last week. I walked in, told the tech I had an oil leak on an 07 Vette and he said, "Oil Pan gasket. They are notorious for that" Turns out he was right and it was repaired under factory warrenty.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:00 PM
wrongway
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblock455
Is this covered under the 3yr/36,000 or the longer drivetrain one? Thanks.
My ls2 was covered under the longer drivetrain warranty. I just had it done this October and my 5 year drivetrain warranty is up in March. If you check the warranty it should list all gaskets and seals in the drivetrain as part of the longer warranty. I had some printouts and was ready for issues, but they fixed it no questions asked.
The following users liked this post:
Olnavy (06-10-2022)
Old 01-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Topsarge12R
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I just had my LS3 (2009) Vert in the shop for that very thing several weeks ago. I had just finished up a caliber powder coat replacement and for the first time noticed oil weeping from the oil pan next to the oil filter. Oil dipstick showed absolutely no leak. Chevy dealer covered everything. From what I have read here and speaking to my mechanic the job, it is something you may not want to tackle. Reason I took mine in? Warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone here of LS3 engine oil leak at oil pan gasket?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:12 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

5 year 100k exists for a reason - not just piece of mind...Funny that LS1s never had this issue ( although we are stuck with the S#ity oil pressure sensor that leaks when it goes bad)
Old 01-12-2012, 04:00 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLUSHN
I had my 2008 C6 (built 08/07) in for an oil change several years ago and my service tech spotted what he thought was a small leak coming from the pan. He put some dye in it and I drove it for a couple of weeks, took it back and he saw where it was leaking. He replaced the pan gasket and it's been good ever since.
I had the same problem with my '08. I bought it in September and took it to my dealership for oil and service (just so that I know for sure it was done) and they noticed a "weeping" area. They repaired it under warranty. They have to take the "cradle" out to do it so it would be expensive.

I am taking mine back because since they did this the front end groans when I turn (either way).
Old 01-12-2012, 04:00 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had my LS2 oil pan resealed last Friday, with only 3 weeks remaining on my GMPP Major Guard contract.

Quick Reply: Anyone here of LS3 engine oil leak at oil pan gasket?