C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny cop lets C6 driver off with a warning

Old 01-10-2012, 02:47 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

nothing like and EDITED VIDEO....never saw him speeding or as the cop said..blowing off one of his stipes on his car... All we see is him pulling over like a good little boy....if we are going to be fair around here lets see the whole damn thing....if I were a cop now and someone blew bye me like this guy must have done...I would have written him a citation big time.....if you play you must pay.
Eat or be ett..law of the jungle
Old 01-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Toxiclemonade
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahah I knew exactly where you were before I read you were in SC. That is just north of Greenville I think, cooper lighting building? I got pulled there once on the way back to college a few years back, I wasn't so lucky! Nice vid.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Honestly I've had pretty good experiences with police (regarding my car) everywhere except for here in Boise. Cops in the Boise area are horrible....I can't stand them
Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 PM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

I went by a Cobb Co (Metro ATL suburb) officer shooting radar a few weeks ago while in my Vette. As I pass, he smiled and gave me a big thumbs up

I was always taught, when pulled over, roll the window down and "Puppy Dog" both hands out the window. Don't fish for your wallet or anything else in the car.

LEO's never know what they are walking up on, and seeing both of your hands and respect goes a long way. I have been stopped about 10 times in my life and only one minor speeding ticket....when I should have had about 10 tickets.

God Bless em, it's a tough job!

John
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I'm glad the guy got a warning but I wouldn't be surprised if the cop told the driver to shutoff the camera. The cops/government like to video you but they don't want you to videotape them. I know of several situations that demonstrate this. Even when it's their video if it supports your case they most often won't release the video to you. Evidently, getting to the truth and justice isn't always important.
You mean the the elected officials, that YOU voted for enacted a law that forbids the recording and audio of people without consent? Its called eavesdropping..........dont hate the player, hate the game.........Oh, and the continuous digital recording of my speed, my driving, my speech is all subject to the FOIA, so if you think truth and justice isnt important, think again............

Originally Posted by Deceptikon
The camera shows the large amount of traffic around the vette. The radar gun (if this was used to clock speed) is likley to have clocked the large semi that was in front of the vette. The radar gun picks up on the largest moving object.
Clocked? that would imply using a clock or timer, or a time distance calculation; which, is not radar. Radar(radio detection and ranging) uses the doppler shift and if the trooper was using some rudimentary, fossil like instrumentation, you "may" be right. Or, which is more probable than not, he was using something along the lines of this:http://kustomsignals.com/index.php/mradar/eagle-family. Which, I know for a fact that this State Police agency uses. It not only picks up the largest object having the most reflect-ability, but also the fastest, which "could" have been the corvette..........

but we are arguing a cop, giving someone a warning right?????
Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JKbride
I was always taught, when pulled over, roll the window down and "Puppy Dog" both hands out the window. Don't fish for your wallet or anything else in the car.

LEO's never know what they are walking up on, and seeing both of your hands and respect goes a long way. I have been stopped about 10 times in my life and only one minor speeding ticket....when I should have had about 10 tickets.

God Bless em, it's a tough job!

John
Thank you sir! Its not rocket science, just dont habitually get speeding tickets, do 40 over, be a dick and expect a break. Did the old man who was doing 98 in a 55 in a new ZR1 get a pass? Sure did. Why? Because it was 2am, no one was out on the road, he had a clean *** driving record and was cool as hell..............

write the guy who cut you off at 100, and im a hero........
your the guy whos doing a 100 and gets a citation and im a dick.......
(above not directed at you John )
Old 01-17-2012, 02:49 PM
whitjo
Advanced

I'd just smoked a GT Mustang that was messin' with me.....topped a hill on a 4 lane and my radar detector went wild.....stood on the brakes hard enough to give me a head rush at 125.......I peeled off 50MPH in less than a second but he locked on at 75.

I was polite and used the excuse that I had just had the engine replaced and the dealer tech told me to run the hell out of it.
Still cost me driving school (a joke) and court cost.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:08 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

It is my understanding that the law differs from state to state, but in some states (I think IL is one of them) they can charge you with eavesdropping and you can be facing a very serious prison term.
The way I remember it... the law is so old that it precedes current technology and only covers audio So some states can get you on wiretapping / eaves dropping charges because of the audio, but the video is not covered.
I have a lot of respect for cops in general and know it is a hard job. I also know that like any group of people, there are going to be a few bad ones. The ACLU gets all cranky about cameras recording me in public places and I think that is stupid. I am in public and have no expectation of privacy, and I am not doing anything illegal so I really don't care. It seems silly that somebody can face MANY years in prison for taping an officer doing his duty in public. Granted, most of those are thrown out on appeal, but it just shows the law is antiquated.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:35 PM
KCC6Vert
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Jerky
I wonder what would've happened if the driver subsequently pulled out a microfiber towel to wipe off the hand print as soon as the cop took his hand off the car
Had to log in to respond to this. Laughed out loud!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:50 PM
foothills
Advanced

Yep, that's on 85 going into Greenville. That's a very bad stretch of 85 for getting pulled over. It's even worse a few miles before there just the other side of the split off for the exits to Pleasantburg/Mauldin Rd. They run an unmarked SUV there regularly that nabs people left and right.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:00 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm glad the guy got a warning but I wouldn't be surprised if the cop told the driver to shutoff the camera. The cops/government like to video you but they don't want you to videotape them. I know of several situations that demonstrate this. Even when it's their video if it supports your case they most often won't release the video to you. Evidently, getting to the truth and justice isn't always important.
Wayne....you have a lot of bogus statements here.... for one thing the video is a public record....yes the driver does have the right to video tape. No the cop cannot make the operator stop video taping....unless it is unsafe.... I realize you got burned once and still haven't forgotten it... one bad experience does not taint an entire force.... Peace
Old 01-17-2012, 05:19 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by PatriotZ
Wayne....you have a lot of bogus statements here.... for one thing the video is a public record....yes the driver does have the right to video tape. No the cop cannot make the operator stop video taping....unless it is unsafe.... I realize you got burned once and still haven't forgotten it... one bad experience does not taint an entire force.... Peace
This guy will be glad to hear that. He is facing felony one charges (same as rape) that could put him in the PMITA prison for 75 years.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/man-c...-recording-pol

A quick google found more cases...

http://www.alternet.org/story/151806...y/?page=entire

http://abcnews.go.com/US/TheLaw/vide...6#.TxXyMBxKiJs

Like I said above, a lot of these are thrown out, but how much time and money did they lose over the matter.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:02 PM
bvanemon
Cruising

Default Same thing?

Had just cleaned up our C3 from its winter nap. Headed to town for supper, there is a nice set of curves then up a short hill, and down to town. Couldn't help it was running about 85 around the curves and up the hill comes a sheriff car didn't slow down but looked in the rear view mirror, he flashed his blue lights.
Took it easy all the way to town.
Couldn't tell if he agreed or to slow down, I know most the the sheriff deputy's a real good group.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 PM
ryker
Pro

Originally Posted by Deceptikon
The camera shows the large amount of traffic around the vette. The radar gun (if this was used to clock speed) is likley to have clocked the large semi that was in front of the vette. The radar gun picks up on the largest moving object.
True years ago, not now
Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 PM
ryker
Pro

Speeding is minor. Often ignored.

Speeding and being aggressive is what will result in at least one ticket. Ie passing on double yellow, tailgating, or other unsafe acts. Other drivers do call 911 and report unsafe drivers.

If you see blue lights:
Pull over in a safe location for you and the officer. If you need to drive a distance to find a safe area turn your hazards on.
Roll down both windows and don't be reaching around for anything.

Or just stop dead in the road and start video taping. Yell at the officer and tell him you know your rights.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ryker
True years ago, not now
Still true, while the newer units can clock fastest as well as strongest speeds it does take a second or so for the unit to get the fastest speed. This gives you more than enough time to adjust your speed if you have the right equipment.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brent319
This guy will be glad to hear that. He is facing felony one charges (same as rape) that could put him in the PMITA prison for 75 years.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/man-c...-recording-pol

A quick google found more cases...

http://www.alternet.org/story/151806...y/?page=entire

http://abcnews.go.com/US/TheLaw/vide...6#.TxXyMBxKiJs

Like I said above, a lot of these are thrown out, but how much time and money did they lose over the matter.
different state....not the case here in Arizona

Get notified of new replies

To Funny cop lets C6 driver off with a warning

Old 01-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Mitchell54
Cruising

Last summer I was out in my '04 convertible, minding my own business, in no hurry. I saw a state trooper gradually coming up in the passing lane but thought nothing of it. All of a sudden I see the lights come on and this guy is behind me pulling me over. Before I can even get off the road, he's on the P.A. ordering me to pull over and stay in the car. I'm thinkin' what the f....? This guy's got me confused with someone else....

Once I was off the highway, I hear blaring over the P.A. "Get your hands where I can see them!" So up go my hands into the air. Cars are whizzing by on the highway, people are looking, but this guy's still not getting out of the car. "Higher!" he yells. I'm thinking, what the hell did I do this time...?

And then, after a good ten second delay for dramatic effect, my cop friend and riding buddy Jose steps out of the cruiser laughing his butt off. I coulda killed him. Needless to say, all but the middle finger on both my hands curled up, and we both had a good laugh. I have to wonder what people thought as they drove by seeing a guy in a convertible Corvette flipping a state trooper the double-bird.

So yup, Leos are people too, and just like everybody else, they're mostly good people just doing a job. I hate to think what the zoo would be like without them.

Last edited by Mitchell54; 01-18-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:59 PM
>>> Move Right >>>
Lifetime Supporting Membe
Support Corvetteforum!

Default That’s me.

Ok guys, how’s this for a first post…

That’s me.

Here’s the story. Santa brought me a GoPro (I was good!). I just wanted to try the suction cup mount to make sure it would stay on during NORMAL driving speeds and was just making a quick run around the block. Well, unless you count my usual “spirited” onramp acceleration. Then I noticed the left lane was open (3 lane highway) and continued that acceleration while changing lanes (I was bad). While changing lanes, I was glued to the mirrors and did not notice the officer merging on in the next onramp.

I thought for sure I was going to jail for that brief moment of pleasure…
Old 01-18-2012, 07:02 PM
>>> Move Right >>>
Lifetime Supporting Membe
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks!

He obviously saw the camera as he approached. I did tell him it was on. He said he didn't care. (edited that part out...)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Funny cop lets C6 driver off with a warning