C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Credit Card Points worth $2000, asking $1200

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:52 PM
mrfnuts
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default GM Credit Card Points worth $2000, asking $1200

3/21/2012 UPDATE: Earnings have been sold, thank you ELP_JC!

________________________________________ __________________

1/30/2012 UPDATE: Price for the $2000 GM Points is now $1000 (obo).

________________________________________ __________________

I've got $2000 worth of GM Credit Card Earnings -- under the old program rules (i.e. no redemption limits, all can be used on a single vehicle purchase). I am asking only $1200 for them.

If you're familiar with the GM Card. It's pretty simple to redeem the rebate; Go to your dealer, negotiate the best price on the car, and finally apply the GM Card points. In this scenario of course, you'll be using my points.

Despite the program rules saying that points are not transferable, I know for a fact that you can work around this. In fact it was a customer service rep for the GM Card who told me how.

If you're local to me (Pasadena, CA), you're welcome to pay me COD (i.e. you can have the vehicle title in hand and ready to drive out the door, obviously having verified that the earnings have been applied to your purchase before handing me over the cash). If you're remote to me, then, I do take Paypal or Amazon Payments, but, not those funded by credit card because I don't want to eat the 2.5% fee.

I have done business before on this forum for earnings before, and have a reference. Senior forum member with the alias 3LZZ06.

You can read his expressed approval of the previous deal here in my old thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...ng-1000-a.html

So if you're in the market for a new vehicle, or if you've even ordered one but have not yet taken delivery, then here's your perfect opportunity to save an easy $800 off what you've already negotiated.

Please PM if interested.

Last edited by mrfnuts; 03-21-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Earnings Sold
Old 01-06-2012, 05:20 PM
drewauby5
Racer

can you combine earnings as I also have 2K in rebate cash???
Old 01-06-2012, 05:45 PM
mrfnuts
Advanced

Originally Posted by drewauby5
can you combine earnings as I also have 2K in rebate cash???
Unfortunately no. You can't combine earnings from multiple GM Cards.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM
mrfnuts
Advanced

Points still available, open to all reasonable offers.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:15 PM
mrfnuts
Advanced

Just bumping this thread, to reduce the price of the $2000 points down to just $1000 (OBO).
Old 01-30-2012, 05:24 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Just as a FYI, I asked Tommy Jr if I could use somebody else's GM card points to buy a Vette, and he said NO. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 PM
mrfnuts
Advanced

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Just as a FYI, I asked Tommy Jr if I could use somebody else's GM card points to buy a Vette, and he said NO. Good luck.
I am not sure who Tommy Jr is, or how he would be an authority on this, but, please note I have done this before on multiple occasions, one time was with a senior member on this board, 3LZZ06, whom I am certain if you contacted him and asked would confirm that indeed this can be done, since he enjoyed the $2025 points I was selling last year and saved over $1000 on his new ZR1, as per this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...ng-1000-a.html

You can refer explicitly to posts #19 and #20

I always have to contend with skeptics about the transferability of the points, thus the reason I cited prior deals and references in my first post.

In case it wasn't already implied, I will explicitly state, that if for some reason the points don't transfer as I have promised, I have no interested in running off with anyone's money. I will fully refund it, and besides, I'm figuring we can do this through Amazon or Paypal. It's not like I'm asking anyone to send me a western union money order to Nigeria or something. And if you're local to me (Southern California), you needn't worry anyway because I'm willing to do meet you at the dealership and do this COD.

The only reference I can cite from this board is 3LZZ06, but, I can provide references to users on other boards if the reference from a senior member on this forum is not enough.

Last edited by mrfnuts; 01-30-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:23 PM
ptaylor_9849
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mrfnuts, Tommy Jr runs corvette sales out of Macmulkin Chevrolet in New Hampshire. They are a HUGE seller of vettes. Rumor has it they might be number 2 in corvette volume sales nationwide. I am definitely interested in your offer but I don't understand how it could possibly work because you and I have different addresses and they would certainly pick up on that. Heck, we live on opposite sides of the country as your in Cali and I'm in Boston. Moreover, I would be buying my car from this same guy Tommy Jr in NH. Please PM me and we can talk more about this. If you include your phone number I'll call you directly.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:01 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Tommy has no idea what he's talking about.

EDIT: Let me edit this to be fair to anyone not familiar with points. Tommy is right in saying that you can't use someone else's points...but, if you're listed on the card as an "authorized user" then you certainly can use the points and this is how this sale will work as it did for me.

mrfnuts's GM card can be used for any GM vehicle (it's the old school card that has no limitations except an expiration which is why he needs to off load the points)

The OP and I did business in July of '11 just as he said, and the transaction was legit and smooth...no worries whatsoever!!!

This was the result...

Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 AM
esides
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a chevrolet dealership and You are right and wrong you can give your GM Card information to me and I can give anybody your GM earnings it is very simple and we will get paid. The problem is as a dealer its our responsible to make sure that GM Card earnings are transferred to people that live in the same household or they have to be an authorized user of the gm card. The only problem is if we get audited 6 months or even a year or 2 years later and I can't prove that whoever redemmed the earning doesn't live in the same household as the card owner then I get charged back all the earnings and it looks bad on our part and will flag futher audits so as a Chevrolet Buick GMC dealer for over 40 years its not in our best interest as a dealer to give somebody, somebody elses gm earning. If you find a dealer that doesn't care or is desperate enough to sell a ZR1 since they are going for over 10,000 below cost then go for it.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:15 AM
mudfish
Instructor

Sounds pretty sleazy to me. You say yourself that the program states that points are non-transferable. Even if you can make it work, it's wrong.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:35 AM
esides
3rd Gear

I didn't say I would do it as a dealer to much risk when there is no mark up in the cars to begin with its a no win situation for a dealer if we get caught and we can also get our ordering rights revoked
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 AM
esides
3rd Gear

This is straight copy and pasted form our gm card guidlines:

E. A CARDMEMBER MAY TRANSFER GM CARD EARNINGS TO AN IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER LIVING
IN THE SAME HOUSEHOLD (I.E., SPOUSE, SIBLINGS, CHILDREN AND PARENTS) WHO IS NOT
A GM CARDMEMBER. THE GM CARDMEMBER MUST IDENTIFY THE TRANSFEREE DURING THE
REDEMPTION PROCESS WITH THE DEALER. THE TRANSFEREE MUST ALSO PRODUCE A PICTURE
ID AT THE TIME OF REDEMPTION WHICH VERIFIES SAME HOUSEHOLD ADDRESS AS PRIMARY
CARDHOLDER. A COPY OF THIS ID MUST ALSO BE FILED IN THE DEAL JACKET FOR AUDIT
PURPOSES.
F. GM CARD EARNINGS MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH OR TRANSFERRED TO ONE GM CARDMEMBER
Old 02-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't think I'd get involved with anything like this. If so, I have over $3K on my GM card, I'd give you for lot's cheaper. Haven't been able to use the points, as not allowed on my ZO6 a few years back, and got employee plus rebates on my daily car. I'd be careful with this one.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 PM
mrfnuts
Advanced

Originally Posted by esides
I own a chevrolet dealership and You are right and wrong you can give your GM Card information to me and I can give anybody your GM earnings it is very simple and we will get paid. The problem is as a dealer its our responsible to make sure that GM Card earnings are transferred to people that live in the same household or they have to be an authorized user of the gm card. The only problem is if we get audited 6 months or even a year or 2 years later and I can't prove that whoever redemmed the earning doesn't live in the same household as the card owner then I get charged back all the earnings and it looks bad on our part and will flag futher audits so as a Chevrolet Buick GMC dealer for over 40 years its not in our best interest as a dealer to give somebody, somebody elses gm earning. If you find a dealer that doesn't care or is desperate enough to sell a ZR1 since they are going for over 10,000 below cost then go for it.
What you are describing is different.

Yes, if I give my card information to someone, you can redeem it for anyones purchase by claiming they live in the same household.

This process is different. The guy to whom is getting the earnings 'transferred to' (well, technically using my earnings for his purchase) is going to actually be a card member on the account. The dealer is simply going to validate with GM and HSBC that the guy buying is on the account, given all the card information that is necessary for the redemption. The onus is on GM and HSBC to confirm this. How can the dealer confirm that the guy, who GM themselves say is on the account and is allowed to use the earnings, really should be on the GM card account, especially given the fact I am allowed to add anyone as a card member? There is no restriction to family members only, as to who can be on my account. In other words, this is not a 'family member' redemption which would be for someone who is not on the account but claiming to be a family/household member. Yes, in that case the dealer had better confirm and validate that the family/household relationship exists between a guy who isn't on the card and the account holder.

I should add that GM customer service is very much aware of this practice, and although it's not something they officially endorse and provide support for doing, it was in fact a GM Card Customer Service Supervisor who provided me the instructions on how to do this, plus, the detailed explanation of why this works. And no. She's not some friend of mine helping me get around program rules or something like that. She just happened to be someone I got when I called customer service years ago when I was inquiring if I could give my points to my brother in law, whom obviously had a different last name, and lived on the other side of the country. She said: 'No since they're not a an eligible family member, but, if you just add him to your card for a couple of days he can redeem them himself'. Then of course proceeded to give me all the detailed instructions on doing this.

So, make of it what you will, but, GM Card employees themselves are telling regular folks out there how to do this.

Now, I hope I've finally assuaged the doubts about being able to do this, and hope perhaps the moderators can put this back into the 'for sale' forum. Granted, I do see how this can be considered an interesting 'General Discussion'
Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Slare
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

I kicked around the idea of doing this a couple times but in the end I let my cousin use it and as it has been said I just needed to add him to my account briefly. $3,500 in "old" GM card earnings were used in this way and my cousin does not live in the same household or have the same address. So it can be done. Dealer thought nothing of it though they did know me as a previous customer and were aware he was a family member.

There is definitely some mutual trust involved but in the end you'd be paying .50 on the dollar, seems fair to both parties to me.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrfnuts
Now, I hope I've finally assuaged the doubts about being able to do this, and hope perhaps the moderators can put this back into the 'for sale' forum. Granted, I do see how this can be considered an interesting 'General Discussion'
Hey, what’s the credit limit on your GM card? Make me an “Authorized User” for a few days and you can keep the points…I’ll just charge my new Vette to your card.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Credit Card Points worth $2000, asking $1200

Old 02-03-2012, 02:24 PM
mrfnuts
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cypher
Hey, what’s the credit limit on your GM card? Make me an “Authorized User” for a few days and you can keep the points…I’ll just charge my new Vette to your card.
Lol... not enough for a Vette.

Actually, the funny thing is when you are adding someone as an as an additional cardmember on the account, you have a choice as to whether to issue them a card or not. Obviously, I'm not going to select the 'issue this person a card' option. The fact that it's only an option to issue the additional 'cardmember' a 'card'is very telling actually. What other credit card company do you know of that has the choice of issuing of a card to someone whom you're adding as an additional card member? This is not a choice anywhere else that I know of, an additional card member always gets a card, otherwise what's the point? So... why does HSBC and GM give us this as a choice? My hunch is it makes it a hell of a lot easier for someone transferring points to an unrelated party to not have to get a new card issued to that unknown person, and further not need to give out any useful credit card info to that person either. Probably also saves GM/HSBC the few cents it costs to produce a new card and the postage involved in sending it, since it's obviously going to be canceled within a day or two anyway. Just a thought... but seems more evidence to me that GM and HSBC are definitely condoning this activity.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrfnuts
Lol... not enough for a Vette.

Just a thought... but seems more evidence to me that GM and HSBC are definitely condoning this activity.

Yeah, I’ve done the same thing several times with my GM Card points; only it’s been for friends, not strangers (I usually give mine away).

I get GM Preferred Pricing, so they never let me use those damn GM points anymore on my vehicles.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:48 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

This does sound fishy to me also. I have a GM card. In order for my wife (then girlfriend) to be able to use the points on her prior Buick, I had to put her name on the card along with mine.

I once was able to but a downpayment on a car (I think the Buick) on the card, bumping up the points, and used the increased amount when the car came in. But he woldn't go any more than the grand.

Quick Reply: GM Credit Card Points worth $2000, asking $1200