C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Corvette Lear Car2U garage door/security gate setup

Old 04-03-2012, 09:52 PM
CaliforniaDave
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehb5150
There should be a phone number for Homelink in your owner's manual. Give them a call. They were pretty helpful.
Lear was very pleasant while they put me off for almost a year now. Still no word on this "back ordered" visor.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
dcarter0001
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliforniaDave
Lear was very pleasant while they put me off for almost a year now. Still no word on this "back ordered" visor.

Don't worry, the new visor wont work either. I have a 2011 F-150 with the same system and it doesn't work either. The dealer replaced everything and still doesn't work. I gave up and use the remote that came with the opener.
By the way my wife is on her 3rd Camry with Homelink and they are easy to program and works on eveything including my rotating code garage opener.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:01 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Universal Remote my AZZ!!!

how can it be "universal" if the operation frequency of the car unit does not operate on all the frequencies that garage doors do???

BTW, it has nothing to do with Lear or Homelink, both work fine as long as their operating frequency is same as garage door opener to check compatibility you have to compare the two operating frequencies...

it's a fricking joke, you need a converter to get your UNIVERSAL transmitter to work, what a bunch of BS!
Old 04-04-2012, 03:45 PM
mikefili
Pro

Originally Posted by dcarter0001
Don't worry, the new visor wont work either. I have a 2011 F-150 with the same system and it doesn't work either. The dealer replaced everything and still doesn't work. I gave up and use the remote that came with the opener.
By the way my wife is on her 3rd Camry with Homelink and they are easy to program and works on eveything including my rotating code garage opener.
Sorry to hear that it still does not work. Lear did send me a new visor with the new transmitter along with the converter unit that needs to be installed on one of my openers. My community would not let Lear install any equipment on their gate. The opener in my home with the rolling code paired right up, no problem. The other opener that needed the converter paired right up once I installed the converter on the opener, 2 min job. The gate was a little more involved to set up but a mew mins parked in front of it with a cell phone to speak to lear did the trick, now everyting including the entrance gate works. Yes, too bak that they switched from Homelink to lear, nothing but problems. The big problem is that the owners manual still calls it a "Homelink" along with the programing instructions for Homelink, at least that is the owners manual for my car.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Salty Dawg
Salty Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

My 2012 GS will not work with my 2012 Craftsman Assurelink Internet garage door opener. I can't believe this!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 PM
ccryder
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Salty Dawg
My 2012 GS will not work with my 2012 Craftsman Assurelink Internet garage door opener. I can't believe this!!!
Salty Dog,
I just bought a craftsman assurelink internet enabled opener as well last weekend to replace my old Genie unit that finally puked...
I had to use the "Wayne Dalton" conversion module with my old Genie opener for my 09Z Lear visor to work on that opener (dry contact input type).
http://www.learcar2u.com/conversionmodule/

So after getting my brand spanking new Assurelink opener and discovering my Z wouldn't work with it out of the box..... I did a little more digging. The assure link control circuitry and motor is DC on this assure link model I have... and the control circuitry also provides 12vdc to the nice little wall mounted module it comes with. So a dry contact type covertor like the older Wayne Dalton conversion unit provided will not work on this particular type opener. I called and talked to one of the Learcar2U techs this AM, and they confirmed my findings and were well aware of this problem with their Lear transmitters and the newer craftsman assure link openers.... and also confirmed the transmitter in our vette visor would not operate with a number of the newer openers out on the market (craftsman, chamberlin, liftmaster, etc) due to the frequency changes ....and that the fix is to use a "repeater".
Below is what I ordered:
http://www.learcar2u.com/repeaterkit/

My 2010 Toyota 4 Runner with the home link transmitter, worked/programmed the first time!!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by ccryder; 04-05-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Salty Dawg
Salty Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ccryder
Salty Dog,
I just bought a craftsman assurelink internet enabled opener as well last weekend to replace my old Genie unit that finally puked...
I had to use the "Wayne Dalton" conversion module with my old Genie opener for my 09Z Lear visor to work on that opener (dry contact input type).
http://www.learcar2u.com/conversionmodule/

So after getting my brand spanking new Assurelink opener and discovering my Z wouldn't work with it out of the box..... I did a little more digging. The assure link control circuitry and motor is DC on this assure link model I have... and the control circuitry also provides 12vdc to the nice little wall mounted module it comes with. So a dry contact type covertor like the older Wayne Dalton conversion unit provided will not work on this particular type opener. I called and talked to one of the Learcar2U techs this AM, and they confirmed my findings and were well aware of this problem with their Lear transmitters and the newer craftsman assure link openers.... and also confirmed the transmitter in our vette visor would not operate with a number of the newer openers out on the market (craftsman, chamberlin, liftmaster, etc) due to the frequency changes ....and that the fix is to use a "repeater".
Below is what I ordered:
http://www.learcar2u.com/repeaterkit/

My 2010 Toyota 4 Runner with the home link transmitter, worked/programmed the first time!!

Hope this helps!
Yes, I called Lear and they told me right away that my opener was not compatible with the Vette. They offered to sell me the repeater for $30+. I haven't made the decision to purchase that yet. After the call I just threw the clicky in the glove box. That will do for now.

BTW, the new opener works with all my other vehicles.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:10 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Programming Remote for Security Gate

After considerable hassles, I was able to program my internal Lear remote on my 2009 A6 to operate my community security gate using the DIP switch settings from the community gate Master Transmitter. Here are the steps I followed:
1. Put the vehicle into the Accessory position
2. From inside the vehicle, first firmly press all three buttons at the same time for about 3 seconds. Release the buttons to put the Universal Home Remote into programming mode.
3. The indicator lights blink slowly. Enter each switch setting into the vehicle’s Universal Home Remote. You have 2 ½ minutes to complete this step.
a. The sequence from the Master Transmitter were: L L L R L R R L L (these will be unique for the Master Transmitter you are trying to match)
4. After entering all of the switch positions, again firmly press and release all three buttons at the same time. The indicator lights will turn ON.
5. Press and hold the button that will be used to control the security gate until the security gate moves. The indicator light above the selected button should slowly blink. This button may need to be held for up to 55 seconds.
6. Immediately release the button when the security gates moves, within 1 second. The indicator light blinks rapidly until programming is complete.
7. Press and release the same button again. The security gate should move, confirming that programming is successful and complete.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by xf1902
The opener is not Homelink in the 2012, it's the Car2U system made by Lear. I couldn't get it to work with my opener (make is Linear), but I foudn on the website that Rick T mentions above that I needed to order the conversion module. Don't have it yet, so I don't know if that will really solve the problem.

They call it a "universal" remote system, but apparently it's not as universal as the name would suggest ...

My 2010 Z06 will not work with my gate opener.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:36 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pmt67usa
After considerable hassles, I was able to program my internal Lear remote on my 2009 A6 to operate my community security gate using the DIP switch settings from the community gate Master Transmitter. Here are the steps I followed:
2. From inside the vehicle, first firmly press all three buttons at the same time for about 3 seconds. Release the buttons to put the Universal Home Remote into programming mode.
3. The indicator lights blink slowly. Enter each switch setting into the vehicle’s Universal Home Remote. You have 2 ½ minutes to complete this step.
a. The sequence from the Master Transmitter were: L L L R L R R L L (these will be unique for the Master Transmitter you are trying to match)
4. After entering all of the switch positions, again firmly press and release all three buttons at the same time. The indicator lights will turn ON.
5. Press and hold the button that will be used to control the security gate until the security gate moves. The indicator light above the selected button should slowly blink. This button may need to be held for up to 55 seconds.
6. Immediately release the button when the security gates moves, within 1 second. The indicator light blinks rapidly until programming is complete.
7. Press and release the same button again. The security gate should move, confirming that programming is successful and complete.
Listen to PMT. Mine works fine on home and community gate.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

One of the tricks was to get the exact requirements of my clicker by searching on the Lear site. Once I had that, I was able to get to the Homeowners Assn to look at the master transmitter for the community gate....took pictures of the DIP switches inside. It took a couple of tries but when I followed the above instructions EXACTLY..it worked!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:42 PM
CaliforniaDave
Advanced

Originally Posted by so what
Yes seems to be a problem, I bought a 2011 Silverado in July, still no new unit. Rep says they are on back order.........
As an update, I called the dealer and they ordered a new visor for my 08 Corvette under warranty (evidently there's a service bulletin on the 07 and 08 model years). They installed the new 2012 visor in my car this morning and I called Lear who walked me through the programming. They needed the numbers off the HOA security gate remote and they had me press the three buttons in a specified sequence.

The gate now works (you can only use the left button for a security gate) and when I got home from the dealer, I programmed the middle and left buttons for my two garage doors.

Problem solved, thanks to the Chevy dealer who took the extra step to research the service bulletins and handled everything under warranty.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:43 PM
CaliforniaDave
Advanced

Originally Posted by tim414
My 2010 Z06 will not work with my gate opener.
See my post #32. I hope it helps.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:06 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

When I tried to program my garage doors on my new GS (I've done it a ton of times), and couldn't get it done, time to read the instructions. To my dismay, this POS doesn't use the transmitters. My question to GM is how much they saved (maybe a buck?) that made it worth aggravating buyers of $50K+ cars with a POS like that? Put it in the Cruzes and such, but not on the freaking Vettes. Geez.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:44 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

Like many folks with the Lear system (2008 and newer), I struggled to get it successfully programmed for my community security gate. A couple of suggestions: Contact Lear Customer Service, they were helpful to me; 2) Figure out which clicker model you have that does operate the security gate at the Lear site...this will help you figure out whether it is even possible to program the Lear system for the security gate (this may mean a backfill to a Homelink system or a converter)...In my case, the security gate uses DIP switches so once I had those, I was able to get mine working by following the below instructions EXACTLY..

a. The sequence is: R L L R R R R L L (Sample only...)
Old 04-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If you can't get the system to program properly for one of your doors/gates, you could do what we did in our C5:

Use sticky back velcro and attach the original transmitter to the bottom of the steering column. Easy to find but out of sight, range was still good.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 PM
johnny3
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
Okay i have the work around for this if you needed it pm and i will send it to you. Heres the problem button one near the window is setup for Genies with digital lights numbers 2 and 3 are setup for diff mfg. You have to untrain them and then you can program them I have this info took me 2 weeks of calling but they mailed it to me from lear car2.
z51vett
Doug
770-316-8528
Thanks Doug, finally got my garage door programed, 09 model, using your method (button near the window, left one, for my rolling code Genie) the garage door I needed to use was on the right & would never program but left button programed first time, thank you. Johnny

Get notified of new replies

To 2012 Corvette Lear Car2U garage door/security gate setup

Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 PM
mgtr
Pro

Many companies will throw out a perfectly good system to replace it with something a few dollars cheaper. Well cheaper is fine, but customers rarely see the savings, just the problems with the new unproven system. If I had this problem (which I do not) I would try replacing the visor with a homelink system visor and send the bill to GM. They are unlikely to pay it, but there is always the threat of small claims court. From what I have seen of GM in court, they mount a pitiful defense.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a 2012 GS Centennial and while attempting to program the Lear visor buttons, it failed miserably. I thought I was following the instructions exactly but once I tried a few different techniques it finally worked. Here is what I learned:

1. Clear out the Lear remote on the visor by pressing both end buttons simulteanously UNTIL THE BUTTON LIGHTS GOES OUT.
2. Drive the car into the garagUe directly under the garage remote. I have 2 Genie Intellicode door openers for a double and single door.
3. Follow the Lear instructions to set one of the 3 buttons by pressing the LEARN button on the garage opener and hopping into the driver seat to set 1 button. HOLD THE LEAR BUTTON UNTIL THE LIGHT GOES OUT.
4. Wait a few minutes and then press the newly set button and it should open/close the door.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:33 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Default call'em

I have an old gate opener with switches. Read instructions, couldn't get it to work. Called, don't remember if got number from owners manual or web, but they had me drive up in front of gate and walked me through the set up. Works great!

Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Corvette Lear Car2U garage door/security gate setup