C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed Trailer Minimum Length?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 05:34 PM
redzr1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Enclosed Trailer Minimum Length?

I am looking to purchase an enclosed trailer to use for transporting my 2008 in for autocrossing. Several years back I had a 24' trailer that I used for a '91 ZR-1 that had plenty of room in it, but was a bit hard to manuever in some gas stations. Due to this I have been contemplating getting a 20' trailer this time around that would also have a 3' deep v-nose to it. Any recommendations against going this short on an enclosed trailer? I had cabinets in the nose of my 24' trailer that were 2' deep that reduced the area for the car down to 22' and I still had plenty of room. The specific trailer I am looking at I can order in 20', 22' and 24' box length prior to the 3' v-nose. I also would be looking to transport a 92 LT-1 vette in it also from time to time.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:59 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

the overall length of a C6 is 175 inches, width 76, 49 high. You could fit it in a 16 footer since they are less that 16' long, but then no room for tires, tools etc. Trailer width is a bigger deal need it wide enough to get out and close the door. I've seen some that have an excape door overthe trailer fender, but the car door clearance of a late model Corvette needs to be measured. I think a stock-height car door is only 9 inches off the ground.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 PM
KKJ
Instructor

I have been contemplating getting an enclosed trailer to haul my vette. After looking at a few, and measuring different things, I decided that If I get one, I will probably get a 20' haulmark with the V nose. I would also put a winch in the front to pull the car into the trailer because there is no way of getting out of the car once you drive it in. If I remember right, there would only be 3" on each side of the tires to fit in between the wheel wells.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:05 AM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I found this one on Ebay a couple of months ago. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ar-hauler.html It's a 20 footer and there is plenty of room in front of the car for tires, wheels, etc. The extra driver's side door is a huge plus. If you don't mind gently used, I would check the auction sites, there are some great deals. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:16 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I bought a 32' Wells Cargo and it gives me the space to actually sleep in it if i need to or to have to room inside if i needed to work on something. Its not much diff weight wise but yes its long.

Mine has 3 doors and is the extra wide model but its still tight. I keep the cars to the right as much as i can to give that extra inch or two on the left to get out.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

I've got a 20' x 8-1/2' which is perfect to allow enough room in front to strap the car down. I have 2'x12" secured to the floor where the front tires stop and raise the front for an extra 1-1/2" to reach under the front for strapping. Just be sure to get a weight distribution system and 67" Raceramps certainly make entry and exit easier with no scraping.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:38 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KKJ
I have been contemplating getting an enclosed trailer to haul my vette. After looking at a few, and measuring different things, I decided that If I get one, I will probably get a 20' haulmark with the V nose. I would also put a winch in the front to pull the car into the trailer because there is no way of getting out of the car once you drive it in. If I remember right, there would only be 3" on each side of the tires to fit in between the wheel wells.
You better make sure there is room for a weight distribution system on the tongue. That's why I didn't get a v-nose.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:59 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by k24556
the overall length of a C6 is 175 inches, width 76, 49 high. You could fit it in a 16 footer since they are less that 16' long, but then no room for tires, tools etc. Trailer width is a bigger deal need it wide enough to get out and close the door. I've seen some that have an excape door overthe trailer fender, but the car door clearance of a late model Corvette needs to be measured. I think a stock-height car door is only 9 inches off the ground.
I have been thinking of '18ft, 8 1/2' wide.....in my area there are several places which custom build trailors.

Last time I had one built, it was for my four wheelers. Had a side ramp and rear ramp that is 14 ft long. So I can load two four wheelers and has plenty of room for my extras...

The ht of the trailor, for me is issue. I have a full size SUV I tow with. I was using one of my fathers trailors which is 8 ft tall, and my SUV was working overtime to maintain 70 mph on freeway because of drag. For that one I needed a diesel with butt loads of torque.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:12 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tim414
:

The ht of the trailor, for me is issue. I have a full size SUV I tow with. I was using one of my fathers trailors which is 8 ft tall, and my SUV was working overtime to maintain 70 mph on freeway because of drag. For that one I needed a diesel with butt loads of torque.
My trailer is 8' high and my new Sierra Denali HD with the 6.0 (only available in 6.0 or diesel) pulls it over the mountains and doesn't even break a sweat. I wanted but was warned by my GM dealer to avoid the revamped diesel until the fuel delivery problems are worked out. My company does the plumbing/HVAC service for the dealer we buy our vehicles from so the warning was appreciated.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:04 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have a GMC Yukon....it has the 5.3, which has been a EXCELLENT motor btw.

It has enough torque for the SUV, but when I go towing trailors with a lot of drag, I can definitely tell.....I use the tow mode setting for the tranny which causes it run up to higher RPM's before shifting.

It isn't that my Yukon not up to the task, it that I can tell it's is working harder than usual.

Otherwise, I have ZERO complaints about my Yukon. This one has been one of the BEST vehicle(s) I have ever owned. I parted with Denali Sierra when I bought it. I definitely like GMC's....the ONLY brand of truck/SUV I will buy....

Last edited by tim414; 01-14-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:27 PM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It has enough torque for the SUV, but when I go towing trailors with a lot of drag, I can definitely tell.....I use the tow mode setting for the tranny which causes it run up to higher RPM's before shifting.

It isn't that my Yukon not up to the task, it that I can tell it's is working harder than usual.

Otherwise, I have ZERO complaints about my Yukon. This one has been one of the BEST vehicle(s) I have ever owned. I parted with Denali Sierra when I bought it. I definitely like GMC's....the ONLY brand of truck/SUV I will buy....
Same with my 2002 Toyota Landcruiser with the 4.7 V8. It is a great SUV but when I picked up my 20' trailer it was working noticeably harder going up hills even with the trailer empty. A nice heavy duty 1 ton pick-up is on my "gotta get" list.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:46 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

All I buy is GMC. My wife has a new Acadia Denali, My new Sierra 2500 HD Denali and all my work vans. I needed a quick replacement 2500 van last year and could only get one quick but it had the 5.3 which was a major mistake. That van won't get out of it's own way! The 5.3 is not a towing engine. For me GMC vehicles/styling are tough to beat compared to everything available.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:31 AM
redzr1
Instructor

Originally Posted by KKJ
I will be ordering it with a winch plate installed for this purpose as I don't have a desire to crawl in and out of the back of the car. Are you looking to mount anything in particular on the car to make it easy to connect to for pulling in to the trailer?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:36 AM
redzr1
Instructor

Originally Posted by barduch
I found this one on Ebay a couple of months ago. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ar-hauler.html It's a 20 footer and there is plenty of room in front of the car for tires, wheels, etc. The extra driver's side door is a huge plus. If you don't mind gently used, I would check the auction sites, there are some great deals. Good luck.
I have been looking several places for three months or so now and have not found anything along the lines of what I want that was not within $500-1000 of just ordering a new one. I am wanting 5200 lb torsion axles so that there is no concern of overloading the trailer and has a better ride than leaf spring axles. Elkhart is only a bit over a two hour drive from where I live, so with the ability to directly pick up the trailer at a factory, the cost of a new trailer is very competitive.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:39 AM
redzr1
Instructor

Originally Posted by saplumr
You better make sure there is room for a weight distribution system on the tongue. That's why I didn't get a v-nose.
Both of the trailers that I am looking at have shallow v-nose's, which should allow me to still use my weight distributing hitch that I have from my previous trailer, but I will confirm before ordering.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:41 AM
redzr1
Instructor

Originally Posted by saplumr
My trailer is 8' high and my new Sierra Denali HD with the 6.0 (only available in 6.0 or diesel) pulls it over the mountains and doesn't even break a sweat. I wanted but was warned by my GM dealer to avoid the revamped diesel until the fuel delivery problems are worked out. My company does the plumbing/HVAC service for the dealer we buy our vehicles from so the warning was appreciated.
My tow vehicle is a 2002 GMC 2500 HD Quad Cab with the 6.0 gas engine in it. It towed my previous 24' enclosed trailer with no issue, so I expect it to be fine for this one also.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:02 PM
JBRUSS
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I have owned the following Suburbans/GMC 02/05/2011 Suburbans 2007 GMC Yukon XL. I own a limousine business and usually put 35,000 miles a year on a vehicle. We are usually transporting oil/gas families and sometimes use an enclosed 6x8 trailer for luggage. I always felt like the GM full size SUV line was underpowered when loaded. The 02 transmission failed, the 05 was failing, the 2011 being it was the 6spd auto was the worse. The 2007 GMC Yukon the rear end went bad slightly over 100,000 miles, amongst many other numerous issues. In 2015 we switched over to the Ford Expedition EL Ecoboost....I cant express how much better I enjoy driving it over the GMs. It's smoother quieter and considerably more powerful. The Ecoboost is barely affected when loaded or pulling a trailer. Also the SUV gets over 19mpg as a average. All being said I'm more please with Ford which I use to pull my 1966 Mustang and my 1996 Grandsport.

Last edited by JBRUSS; 08-08-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Enclosed Trailer Minimum Length?

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailer Minimum Length?