C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Radio turns off then back on

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 PM
KibunInc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2007 Radio turns off then back on

I tried the search engine on this problem but could not find anything.

I have a 2007 base corvette with a factory stock radio in it. NO navigation system just the base system. I have never opened the dashboard or removed the stereo. I am the original owner of the vehicle.

Some times when I am driving down the street the radio turns off then right back on. When it turns off I hear a loud 'POP" through the speakers and the radio display goes blank. About 2 to 3 seconds go by and it turns back on. This happened for a while but then suddenly stopped for about 6 to 8 months. Last night it returned and happened about 4 times in a couple of hours. It happened again today about 3 times.

There is no consistent time when it happens. It has happened when I have hit bumps in the road and also when there was smooth driving. It happens when it rains or is dry outside. I have had the stereo loud and also when it is turned down low. Its happens when the AC or heater is on or off.

Any help would be appreciated. I think there may be a wiring connection problem or maybe the stereo itself is bad. Thanks
Old 01-16-2012, 09:53 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Only a guess but sounds like an internal electrical fault. My guess is the radio is dying, just a matter of time. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The non-Nav 3LT radio in my 2006 coupe would do something similar. It would go silent while it was on (but no pop), and stay silent until I turned it off, then back on again.

When it happened the 2nd time, I took the car to the dealer, but since I had turned it off, then back on again, he couldn't find anything wrong. He told me to try to come straight to the dealership without touching the **** the next time it happened.

The third time, that's what I did. The Tech flashed the radio like GM told him to, and it was alright for a couple of weeks.

When it happened again, GM replaced the radio and I never had any more problems.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 PM
KibunInc
Instructor

Thanks for the responses. I am thinking the radio is bad. If I do replace it I will probably go with an aftermarket stereo so I can plug my Ipod into it.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

KibunInc,
This could be caused by a few different issues. I'd recommend taking it to the dealership and having them check it out next time that happens. This sounds like it may be an internal issue with the radio. Let us know what you find out at the dealership. Also, if you need some help setting up an appointment please don't hesitate to ask.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin
Old 01-17-2012, 09:11 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My 07 with nav will sometime not power up for a min right after start up. Push the power button and nothing. Acts like a computer booting up. Give it a couple of min and all is fine.

OP hope you find a easy fix. Seems like a loose ground or power cable. Why else the pop?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:49 PM
KibunInc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
KibunInc,
This could be caused by a few different issues. I'd recommend taking it to the dealership and having them check it out next time that happens. This sounds like it may be an internal issue with the radio. Let us know what you find out at the dealership. Also, if you need some help setting up an appointment please don't hesitate to ask.

Justin
Thanks, but my car is out of warranty. So I will probably go with an aftermarket system. The dealer stereo's are expensive and I can get an aftermarket for about $600 to $1,200 for a real good set up.

Thanks to everyone for the input.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:04 PM
cstrunk
Advanced

Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 PM
KibunInc
Instructor

Originally Posted by cstrunk
LOL yeah that guy is having his 15 minutes of fame on the alien/human DNA modifications on the History channel.

I was actually hoping I had a bad ground wire but it seems like the stereo is bad.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Warren Seale
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

If you go to the dealer they will just send it to a service center like this one:

http://unitedradio.com/urweb/contactus.asp

They can either fix yours at a reasonable price or many times you can trade yours for one they have in stock.

Warren
Old 01-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by KibunInc
Thanks for the responses. I am thinking the radio is bad. If I do replace it I will probably go with an aftermarket stereo so I can plug my Ipod into it.
+1 FTW

You have all the justification required.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 PM
KibunInc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Warren Seale
If you go to the dealer they will just send it to a service center like this one:

http://unitedradio.com/urweb/contactus.asp

They can either fix yours at a reasonable price or many times you can trade yours for one they have in stock.

Warren
Just info only I called the dealership where I bought the car from. A stock radio (No navigation system), is $2,500.... I asked for a trade in and they said they did not do that. The service center was helpful and told me that it sounded like a short inside of the radio and to replace it.

Thanks to all of the input here. It is cool that people can give straight forward advice.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by KibunInc
Just info only I called the dealership where I bought the car from. A stock radio (No navigation system), is $2,500.... I asked for a trade in and they said they did not do that. The service center was helpful and told me that it sounded like a short inside of the radio and to replace it.

Thanks to all of the input here. It is cool that people can give straight forward advice.
Bummer on the price of another radio and the no trade in.

I forgot to mention that I was lucky and mine happened while it was still under the factory warranty.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Horn blower
Cruising

I have an 09 c6 with navi.Sometimes when you start the car the radio will come on,it will just be on ,no touching anything..no popping sound,just on.Then you will start it again and its not on ?? Whats up with this ?? This is why I like forums like this so when your car does this stupid stuff you don't feel like an idiot when you tell someone...
Old 01-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Horn blower,
You're not the first person I've heard of to have this issue. I'd recommend taking your car into the dealership. If the problem occurs intermittently I would see if they can replicate it. If not, perhaps they can reset/update it and the problem may go away.

Justin

Originally Posted by Horn blower
I have an 09 c6 with navi.Sometimes when you start the car the radio will come on,it will just be on ,no touching anything..no popping sound,just on.Then you will start it again and its not on ?? Whats up with this ?? This is why I like forums like this so when your car does this stupid stuff you don't feel like an idiot when you tell someone...
Old 01-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

It sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. It might even be INSIDE the radio. If you have a good radio repair shop around, you might pull it out and see if it can be fixed.

Get notified of new replies

To 2007 Radio turns off then back on

Quick Reply: 2007 Radio turns off then back on