Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
topper7788
CF Senior Member

Default Top will not latch!!! (Short rant)

Damn top!!!

Since I'm a south Floridian my top stays in he trunk most of the time... Yesterday my wife and I went to visit one of my franchisees and since it was a another bueatiful South Florida day we decided to take the Corvette instead of the Sedan...

Well when it was time to head home the temp had dropped some so it was time to put the top on..

Well the dang rear center latch won't engage... After about 10 minutes of F'n with it we just headed home with it un latched as since it's the rear the pins should hold the top in fine..

Guess I have to take it to the dealer for repair which is something I hate to do.

Rant done... (I did say short rant)
topper7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!

Good Rant...always good to unload every now and again
TBonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
R&L's C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds like it should be a simple fix, dealer shouldn't be able to wreck too much on your car (you know how those dealers are)

Good luck on the repair.
R&L's C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Neil Baker
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper7788 View Post
Damn top!!!

Since I'm a south Floridian my top stays in he trunk most of the time... Yesterday my wife and I went to visit one of my franchisees and since it was a another bueatiful South Florida day we decided to take the Corvette instead of the Sedan...

Well when it was time to head home the temp had dropped some so it was time to put the top on..

Well the dang rear center latch won't engage... After about 10 minutes of F'n with it we just headed home with it un latched as since it's the rear the pins should hold the top in fine..

Guess I have to take it to the dealer for repair which is something I hate to do.

Rant done... (I did say short rant)
Never heard of this problem before, let us know what they find.
Neil Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
CandyRed77
CF Senior Member

One quick thing you can check: make sure the front end of the latch doesn't get caught on the trim/headliner. Happens to mine now and then, just have to give it a little push and the problem is solved.

Sonny
CandyRed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Chevy Cust Svc
CF Senior Member

Have you had a chance to visit the dealer? Please keep us posted. Feel free to contact me with any questions that may arise. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.
Chevy Cust Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
marathon
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Happened to me also and the forward latch was stuck in the locked/closed position which keeps the handle from engaging. Simply flipped it down and the problem has yet to return.
marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
JLargo
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathon View Post
Happened to me also and the forward latch was stuck in the locked/closed position which keeps the handle from engaging. Simply flipped it down and the problem has yet to return.
This happened to me once, took a minute to figure it out. When you release the rear latch put your hand on it so it doesn't spring open hard. This will prevent it from happening as well.
JLargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
topper7788
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc View Post
Have you had a chance to visit the dealer? Please keep us posted. Feel free to contact me with any questions that may arise. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.
Thanks Tricia (guess GM made a change to who is monitoring the forum again)

Haven't taken it in yet... Probably will try and make an appointment for next week some time....I don't expect any issues as I'm sure it's a simple fix... At worst they will need to order a new rear latch and the car is certainly drivable the rear guide posts should be sufficient to hold the top in as I'm not planning any high speed driving with the top on till I get this handled or I can put on my body colored top....(it's the clear on with the issue) I have two tops....
topper7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Top will not latch!!! (Short rant)

Tags
1977, c6, corvette, forum, latch, pins, rear, top, ttop