C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door won't open

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by jonctovar
My passanger door started doing same thing a few days ago.
how did you fix the driver's door? I tried lubing the latch but so far no luck...
Old 01-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

I just checked the following two fuses and they are okay:

DRIV DR
SWTCH

DR LCK
Old 01-10-2015, 05:17 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Same thing happened to my 05 coupe on the driver side. Dealer replaced the door module and it worked great.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Same thing happened to my 05 coupe on the driver side. Dealer replaced the door module and it worked great.
was yours in or out of warranty? if out, what were the damages?
Old 01-10-2015, 10:55 PM
jonctovar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a picture of how the module looks like.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:00 AM
MLRS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Passenger door relay

LV2TOUR I was looking to the schematic for the BCM on the passenger floor and cannot locate the relays, I can see the door lock and driver lock fuses but having trouble identifying the relays can anybody point me to the correct direction.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:36 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

I've tried lubing without taking the actuator out of the door but didn't work - anybody think it will make a difference if I take it out and clean/lube?
Old 01-11-2015, 12:15 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Check the latch mechanism and see if it is getting power when you try to open the door. If power is there, then the latch mechanism is bad. Follow the power.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:06 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Since this is a resurrected 2 year old thread, you are going to get lots of people talking about lots of different issues. That is one of the reasons to start a new thread when you have a new issue. But...

Originally Posted by jonctovar
Does anyone have a picture of how the module looks like.
The modiule mentioned would be either the Driver Door Module (DDM) or Front Passenger Door Module (FPDM). They are part of the window regulator motor assemblies inside their respective doors. PIA to get to and expensive to replace because they are small computers that control pretty much everything in their door. But, as cclive mentioned, the first thing to check is the latch power which is MUCH easier to get to and, if there is power there, the DDM and FPDM and BCM and... must all be good.

Originally Posted by MLRS
LV2TOUR I was looking to the schematic for the BCM on the passenger floor and cannot locate the relays, I can see the door lock and driver lock fuses but having trouble identifying the relays can anybody point me to the correct direction.
The relays that actually apply power to the latches are internal components of the BCM computer and do not appear to be accessible.

When a door doesn't open, the first thing to check is can it open? Are the components able to move freely. Next thing to check is that it is being told to open. Is there power to the latch?
Old 01-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

will a code reader provide the answer to this, i.e., as to whether there is power being sent to the actuator?

Originally Posted by cclive
Check the latch mechanism and see if it is getting power when you try to open the door. If power is there, then the latch mechanism is bad. Follow the power.
Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Since this is a resurrected 2 year old thread, you are going to get lots of people talking about lots of different issues. That is one of the reasons to start a new thread when you have a new issue. But...

The modiule mentioned would be either the Driver Door Module (DDM) or Front Passenger Door Module (FPDM). They are part of the window regulator motor assemblies inside their respective doors. PIA to get to and expensive to replace because they are small computers that control pretty much everything in their door. But, as cclive mentioned, the first thing to check is the latch power which is MUCH easier to get to and, if there is power there, the DDM and FPDM and BCM and... must all be good.

The relays that actually apply power to the latches are internal components of the BCM computer and do not appear to be accessible.

When a door doesn't open, the first thing to check is can it open? Are the components able to move freely. Next thing to check is that it is being told to open. Is there power to the latch?
Old 01-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

I checked for codes (with a reader) and there are none, when I hit the open switch on the outside and inside there is sound coming from the latch as though it is trying to open.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:11 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Have you tried spraying the latch assembly with WD-40. It just might be sticking?

Good Luck

That helped mine. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
That helped mine. Good luck.
did you spray from the outside (without opening and taking it out)?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:35 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
...when I hit the open switch on the outside and inside there is sound coming from the latch as though it is trying to open.
Then you have no electrical issue which is why there are no codes. It is strictly mechanical. Taking it out to see what is sticking or broken would be the next step.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:05 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Then you have no electrical issue which is why there are no codes. It is strictly mechanical. Taking it out to see what is sticking or broken would be the next step.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:29 PM
MLRS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Problem fixed here, long story made short. About 8 month ago I replaced the passenger side door window motor which is replaced as a complete unit, door module etc... short after that the passenger door could not be open from the outside, I did all the steps necessary. Changed the outside door pad, lubricated the door latch, checked the fuses and nothing seems to fix the problem. Today I replaced the passenger door speaker/bass since I had the door panel off I checked all connections, cables and cleaned all the connectors/plug with electric connectors cleaner, when I took off the old speaker I proceed to check the window motor connection the son of the gun was not fully connected pushed it in and everything its working now.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:36 PM
ChiefC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you end up doing to fix your door Lock. Mine is doing the same thing, or should I say not doing. The window indexes but the door doesn't open.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver door won't open

Old 05-25-2016, 07:30 PM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I was experiencing the exact same problem about 3 weeks ago. Bought and installed a new door latch and problem is gone. I also replaced the door pads and the inside door switch. But, in the end, it was the door latch.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:52 PM
Zdeuce4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is fairly old but does anyone have any of these part numbers for the door latches? im having this issue intermittently.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:59 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Zdeuce4
this is fairly old but does anyone have any of these part numbers for the door latches? im having this issue intermittently.
Common problem I replaced mine with new latch assembly. About $150.
Dealer usually stocks them

Quick Reply: Driver door won't open