C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery dead again!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 PM
bigsteff
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Battery dead again!

The GS is headed to the dealer in the morning for battery maintenance! This is the second time the battery died in the last 3 months. The last time, the dealer recharged the battery and it was ok for 3 months. I had not started the car for 3 weeks and now its dead again. Should i expect a new battery or a lecture on starting the car at least once a week? Are there any key statements to make to the dealer to get a replacement? I leave the car in reverse while partked (what's up with that).

Old 02-03-2012, 02:03 AM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Take to Sears. They'll test it for free. If it's bad, take the slip to your dealer, and get a new one.

If it going to be parked longer than a few days, use a Battery Tender. It's also good for the battery.

Last edited by TommyV; 02-03-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:34 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,582 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV
Take to Sears. They'll test it for free. If it's bad, take the slip to your dealer, and get a new one.

If it going to be parked for over a few day, use a Battery Tender. It's also good for the battery.
Sage advice, heed it!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You're killing your battery by letting your C6 sit so long. And if you mostly take short drives, your battery is headed for an early grave.

Don't start it once-a-week... you'll have to run the engine ~20 minutes or so just to replace the energy used in starting the car. And you'll have to run it even longer to replace energy lost by the parasitic drain of dis-use.

Bottom Line: Use a good battery maintainer regularly. It will keep your battery well-charged. And its maintenance cycle will give you max battery life.

You can get the "official" C6 Battery Protection Package for under $100:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...11-models.html

Or shop around for the best price on the nearly identical CTEK 3300.

More info from another thread:

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
...it's easy to hook-up the CTEK with their cig adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-263-Co...=pd_sim_auto_1

Either outlet works fine. And you can run the cord thru a notch in the door:

Just make sure you don't crimp the cord -- it should move easily when the door is closed...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1579601497

BTW, lots of other cars suffer dead batteries when used infrequently.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:05 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

For extended storage, the owners manual also suggests disconnecting the negative battery terminal. See the section titled "Battery" (pg 5-50 in my 09 manual).

Be sure you don't lose the cone-shaped terminal nut -- replacements are almost impossible to find. In fact, there's no need to remove the nut. The terminal clamp design is such that you only need to loosen the nut.

Of course, I'm assuming you know how to get into a C6 with a disconnected battery.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:24 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have to use a battery tender. Two weeks is about the max most can go without driving the car before the battery goes dead. You are doing nothing wrong and there is nothing wrong with the car.

Since your battery has went completely dead twice now, you for sure need a new battery. Letting one go dead just kills the life of a battery.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:41 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

good advice above from all 4.

btw, how'd your '08 do without a battery "maintainer" such as the suggestions above? mine, I've been using one since nov. '07. and just got one of those cteks with the lighter plug in option. works great!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:07 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Letting your car sit for 3 weeks without a battery tender on it is just asking for trouble IMO. Boy Scout Motto: "Be Prepared"
Old 02-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Have to use a battery tender. Two weeks is about the max most can go without driving the car before the battery goes dead. You are doing nothing wrong and there is nothing wrong with the car...Since your battery has went completely dead twice now, you for sure need a new battery. Letting one go dead just kills the life of a battery.

For any Corvette sitting longer than a week-10 days a battery tender's an absolute must.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 AM
lsbrodsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some advice similar to one above, if the battery dies even once, it will never be the same as new. It can be recharged but will never hold the charge as well. These lead acid batteries are very old technology. If you drove your car every day, you would never notice a loss in capacity. But with your situation, you cannot handle it. I second the battery maintainer solution. If you want a reliable standard battery for its life, never completely discharge it.
Larry
Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Prime Target
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 171 Posts

The battery tender is your best option for the amount that you use your car. Simple to use and you will alleviate the paranoia of coming out to a dead car. Also, leaving your GS parked in reverse does nothing for the drain on your battery. That was only relevant to the 05 model year. 06 and newer do not require that action.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Seems every car has its “Achilles Heel” and the battery life seems to be it for the Corvette. Even before I purchased my C6 I heard about the systemic “Battery Problems” with them. It’s well documented on CF and there are plenty of others who have had the same problems that you have encountered. There is some background power drawn on the Vette that will zap the battery if left unabated.

Car batteries by design are meant to be recharged on a reoccurring basis. Be it a Vette or another car, boat, riding lawn mower, if the battery sets for an extended period of time it will lose its charge.

I have 2nd and 3rd Gen Trans Am’s I show and don’t get many trips during the year….both (along with my Vette) have battery tenders and even after months of setting start right up.

As noted, the common fix is a Battery Tender. There are several out good ones out there and a few threads on which is the best to purchase.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 AM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TommyV

If it going to be parked longer than a few days, use a Battery Tender. It's also good for the battery.

What in the car is drawing so much current that the thing has to be kept on life support?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:49 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I had this issue because my car had set from aug to march was alright for about a year.
At the end of about a year I started having issues they said was okay not. I got up one sat. and it was dead again charged up drove to ac delco warehouse got new batt got in car to come home they jumped me off. When I got home put new battery in never had another problem.
Took old batt. to dealer to have it check it was dead they got me reimbursed for the batt. Oh and I don't use a tender on my cars. My 2012 sat for 6 weeks while i wore a boot on left foot started right up.
z51vett

Last edited by z51vett; 02-03-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your problems may have started the day you took delivery of the car. If the car was sitting on the dealer lot for a couple months before you got it, then the battery was probably run down to total zero, and is a goner now. Might hold bit of a charge, but not like it's supposed to. I'd look into this. As mentioned, late model car electronics always pull a slight battery drain when sitting, so not a good idea going more than a couple weeks without a maintainer on it.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:54 AM
greengo
Drifting

Had repeated problems with mine (2 Delco replacements) till
I replaced the second Delco that was failing again with a Optima yellow top
HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM IN THE TWO YEAR SINCE I DID SO
no tender what so ever and has sat for over a month without starting!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Like many others here, this problem pisses me off to no end and its just been acceptable to everyone and chevrolet. But we love our cars and accept it as a fact of life for corvette owners. It'd sure be nice if chevrolet would be able to address this problem on the C7's but my guess is that they will just ignore it again.

My Trans Ams (3) will sit for 6 months and always fire right back up but leave a corvette untendered for 2 weeks and you get a dead battery and the dealership runaround?

Get notified of new replies

To Battery dead again!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:03 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Im so glad I dont have these issues, my car has sat up to a month with no problem.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

After looking at the first two avatars I'm not sure what this thread is about. :-)
Old 02-06-2012, 06:03 AM
greengo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red Devil
After looking at the first two avatars I'm not sure what this thread is about. :-)
How to differentiate between negative and positive posts!

Quick Reply: Battery dead again!