C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery terminal corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 451 Likes on 228 Posts

Default Battery terminal corrosion

08 base vert

I had two Delco batteries go down in the same way. Both started leaking after about 23 months. The first was replaced under warranty and when the second one went I got an Optima yellow top. When both replacements occurred I removed a lot of white powdery corrosion from the terminal clamps. (Not to mention I had to clean the battery tray and paint the area on the frame that the acid removed he paint from.)

About two weeks after I had installed the Optima I noticed some corrosion on the positive battery cable clamp and cleaned it off-thought I must have missed it at the time of the replacement.

Today I checked and found that both the positive and negative clamps were covered in the white powdery corrosion again.

Any ideas as to what is causing this problem. The DIC indicates I am generally charging at 14.2 to 14.4, occasionally varies up or down, but not often.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:40 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

that's difficult. the charging rate seems ok. so, do you drive while watching/with the charging DIC on that specific item? seems little too easy, but have you tried those green and red felt things that go on the posts?

over time, there's some acid getting out, but not on both batteries and not to that extent. I presume they're both anchored down so that they're not moving around in the tray. may want to have someone check the output of your alternator. something seems to be "cooking" the battery---that's usually one of the ways it spews excess fumes or even moisture. note: do you have a battery cover on it of some kind like an aftermarket jobby?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:43 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

I would think some gasses are leaking around the terminals. But 3 batteries in a row sounds suspicious. I wonder if your car is overcharging?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 451 Likes on 228 Posts

Thank-no cover-sounds like over charging to me. I will have it checked out.

I am an ex-pilot and tend to scan the panel still. Also sometimes board during trips and scroll through the DIC. Drive the car mainly on the weekends and trips, but have over 40K on it at present.

When the car was fairly new I was on a long road trip and while in Arlington, VA the volt gage showed only 12 volt charing rate. Was fortunate and found a dealer close by who was very nice and looked at the car in the service bay. Hooked up a computer to the port and determined no problems at that time and was advised the computer control's the charge rate, later during the day the charge rate returned to normal.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
When the car was fairly new I was on a long road trip and while in Arlington, VA the volt gage showed only 12 volt charing rate. Was fortunate and found a dealer close by who was very nice and looked at the car in the service bay. Hooked up a computer to the port and determined no problems at that time and was advised the computer control's the charge rate, later during the day the charge rate returned to normal.
Perhaps a faulty alternator from the start, or Lord forbid a buggy ECM.
Otherwise one would think a little diectric grease on terminals would stop all corrosion. Of course perhaps not if its being overcharged, though. :Confused2:

Let us know when/how this anomaly eventually manifests, becomes frequent enough you're forced to address the problem. Only a question of time, now.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:36 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I put dielectric grease on the terminals and have never had the problem. Make sure the clamp's are on correctly and tight.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

If your sits in between using the acidic fumes will be corrode the termials faster than someone who uses their car as a daily driver. When the first battery was replaced to you pay real good attention to the cable itself, corrosion will travel up the cable. And of course back down with a cleaned terminal end.

I would start with doing a voltage drop test between the battery and the alternator. With the car running and your volt meter on DC, put a lead on the positive battery terminal and the other on the alternator.

If you have a voltage drop, it means you have resistance that needs to be addressed. (Corroded or lose connection or wire.)

Autozone or Kragen sell battery corrosion cleaner that works really well.

Then use some contact grease and pads and then monitor your battery from that point on.

DJ
Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Why aren't you protecting the terminals from corrosion?

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-A202S-Bat.../dp/B001DKRGLM

"NOCO battery corrosion preventative is formulated to make all surfaces impenetrable to corrosion-causing acid fumes which reduce battery life and cranking ability. It is suitable for battery terminals, cables, hold-downs, enclosures, boxes and carriers. It does not dry or evaporate and guaranteed for the life of your battery. "
Old 02-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

My car is a 2006 with 9,000 miles. Original battery and no corrosion. Battery acid is hard to remove, any residual from the first and second leaks could still be causing problems. Retreat the area and cables, see if that cures the problem.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 PM
spice
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an 06 and there is not a speck of corrosion on the terminals. i am assuming original batterry , bought it in 08 - 20,000 miles.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:16 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by spice
i have an 06 and there is not a speck of corrosion on the terminals. i am assuming original batterry , bought it in 08 - 20,000 miles.
Same here on except its original 2005 battery and got car in 12-04. The terminals are covered with rubber and look brand new. With still no corrosion and no battery tender used. Drivin up to twice a week. (Guess I will stick with factory Delco battery when I replace this battery since original Delco lasted this long)

I tested battery by using a hydrometer on each chamber and according to that it's a dead battery.
Put it on a slow charge and meter indicated it needed to be charged. As it was charging all chambers started to bubble a little bit. Didn't have to leave it on too long. Acid could have leaked all over the place

What is a battery load test?

Last edited by LS WON; 02-05-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:16 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Be sure you have the correct cone-shaped terminal nuts!

Your terminal clamp & nut should look like this:

On the other hand, a regular nut will hold the clamp in place. But it will NOT tighten the clamp properly. This can allow excessive corrosion between the terminal and the clamp.

From another thread on another forum:

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846931
Old 02-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Pack Leader
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I put dielectric grease on the terminals and have never had the problem. Make sure the clamp's are on correctly and tight.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:25 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

On my other car I put that blue spray battery protector can't remember name but it's in a blue can and eventually terminals get black from collecting dirt and everything else.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean your connections and post with a wire brush and blow off the excess shaving dust. Re-tighten connections and make sure battery hold downs are operating as designed. Lastly, buy some battery terminal protector spray at any auto parts store and coat the connections liberally.

If the problem persists, you might have another issue.

BTW, on my new to me 07, the original Delco battery is shot with 27k miles. Based on car condition when I bought it, I assume it sat for long periods of time and possibly became discharged.

I'll probably replace it with a Deka come this spring.

BTW, does anyone know if you have to have the computers reset at the dealership when you replace the battery?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:55 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
...BTW, does anyone know if you have to have the computers reset at the dealership when you replace the battery?
Absolutely not necessary! I've disconnected my battery many times...

-- You'll have to initialize the window indexing (it's easy, see "Windows" in your owners manual).

-- You might need to reset the radio stations -- some folks report they had re-do the presets. Write 'em down beforehand.

-- If the TPMS reads '0' psi, it should reset by itself after you drive a little.

VERY Important Tip: Do NOT lose the special cone-shaped terminal nuts. In fact, there's no need to remove the nuts... just loosen them to disconnect the battery clamps.

Last time I checked, you cannot buy these special nuts from GM as a separate item... only as part of a $150? cable assembly.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:46 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I would check the voltage with a voltmeter and make sure the battery is not being overcharged. And you might want to check the top of the battery to make sure it isn't cracked or broken. If everything is OK, I would spray a little oil on the terminals- like WD40 or even a few drops of regular motor oil. You might also try laying a few pennies on top of the battery. The corrosion will collect on the pennies before it collects on the terminals.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery terminal corrosion

Old 02-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot

-- You'll have to initialize the window indexing (it's easy, see "Windows" in your owners manual).

-- You might need to reset the radio stations -- some folks report they had re-do the presets. Write 'em down beforehand.

-- If the TPMS reads '0' psi, it should reset by itself after you drive a little.

VERY Important Tip: Do NOT lose the special cone-shaped terminal nuts. In fact, there's no need to remove the nuts... just loosen them to disconnect the battery clamps.

Last time I checked, you cannot buy these special nuts from GM as a separate item... only as part of a $150? cable assembly.
Good to know. On most BMWs now a days, you have to have a dealership reset the computer or else the computer controlled charging system will overcharge the battery as it's still trying to compensate for an older battery.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot

Are those special cone-shaped terminal nuts on a 2005 Corvette?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LS WON
Are those special cone-shaped terminal nuts on a 2005 Corvette?
I've never checked a 2005 battery clamp, so can't say for sure. But I'm guessing they all do.

Maybe an 05 owner who knows will chime in.

Quick Reply: Battery terminal corrosion