C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When replacing your tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 04:22 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default When replacing your tires

Is it necessary to replace Tire Pressure Monitors?

Do you buy those certificates that guarantee this:
How Am I Covered?

In the event one or more of your tires with certificates fail due to defect, or incurs road hazard damage that cannot be repaired, Discount Tire/America's Tire will replace it at no additional charge. Regardless of the number of miles you put on the tires, you will be covered for the life of the original tread down to 3/32" remaining, or 3 years from the date of purchase, whichever occurs first.

It seems to me that this coverage whether it cost $39.00 or $24.00 is the same type of coverage for road hazard for life of tire? 3 years from date of purchase?. I would have thought it was longer than that.
The worst I had happen to me was a piece of metal in tire tread which I plugged myself.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:35 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

No, on replacing the sensors unless the guy changing the tires happens to mangle one or more in the process.

I have changed my rear tires and wheels multiple times and have only had to replace one sensor due to damage (which the shop covered).

I will be getting the road hazard coverage on the next set of tires I buy; a friend of mine had a tire replaced gratis after he hit a pothole so for the peace of mind and to save some $$$ in case of damage, I am buying the "insurance".

JMHO and ultimately, it's your choice.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LJD51
No, on replacing the sensors unless the guy changing the tires happens to mangle one or more in the process.

I have changed my rear tires and wheels multiple times and have only had to replace one sensor due to damage (which the shop covered).

I will be getting the road hazard coverage on the next set of tires I buy; a friend of mine had a tire replaced gratis after he hit a pothole so for the peace of mind and to save some $$$ in case of damage, I am buying the "insurance".

JMHO and ultimately, it's your choice.
Well if tire shop damages sensor and is responsible they will replace whatever they damage.
I guess I'm used to buying my tires from Costco as I thought they already included this in their price but this is the coverage in this case:

(2) Certificates for Repair, Refund or Replacement
for Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Price $23.00

Extended $46.00
Add to Cart

Price $39.25

Extended $78.50

It looks to me that you would have to get all 4 certificates to have total road hazard coverage for all 4 tires? Am I reading this right? 46.00 for front tires and 78.50 for rears? and warranty is only good for 3 years if I am reading this right
Old 02-20-2012, 05:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The tire pressure sensors have nothing to do with the tires. The batteries are designed to last 7-10 years in the pressure sensors, so no need to worry about them until you get to around 7 years and you plan on replacing the tires at that time, that will last you another 3 or 4 years or more.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LS WON
Well if tire shop damages sensor and is responsible they will replace whatever they damage.
I guess I'm used to buying my tires from Costco as I thought they already included this in their price but this is the coverage in this case:

Price $23.00

Extended $46.00
Add to Cart

Price $39.25

Extended $78.50

It looks to me that you would have to get all 4 certificates to have total road hazard coverage for all 4 tires? Am I reading this right? 46.00 for front tires and 78.50 for rears? and warranty is only good for 3 years if I am reading this right
Yep, you have to buy a road hazard warranty for each tire. Since it is very unlikely you will damage more then one tire in the time that all four tires will last you, you are, in effect, paying four times the amount to have coverage on one tire. Now, if you make it a practice of running from the law and they keep throwing those nasty spike strips out in front of your car, and you destroy all four tires at once, then be sure and purchase the four tire hazard warranties.

From your post it looks like the cost for the four tire warranty is $124.50. Would you buy a life insurance policy for four years(life of your tires) if it cost you $124.50 and only paid off $300 or $400(whatever one tire costs you to replace)?

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-20-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:05 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The tire pressure sensors have nothing to do with the tires. The batteries are designed to last 7-10 years in the pressure sensors, so no need to worry about them until you get to around 7 years and you plan on replacing the tires at that time, that will last you another 3 or 4 years or more.
Lets see it's a 2005 and I will replace shortly all 4 original Goodyears at 43,200+ miles.
I really don't want a tire shop to mess with the factory TPMS (If it ain't broke don't fix it) if that means anything.
I guess Discount tire is compentent enough to replace all 4 TPS for $16.00 I believe they are rebuilt if that means anything.?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Yep, you have to buy a road hazard warranty for each tire. Since it is very unlikely you will damage more then one tire in the time that all four tires will last you, you are, in effect, paying four times the amount to have coverage on one tire. Now, if you make it a practice of running from the law and they keep throwing those nasty spike strips out in front of your car, and you destroy all four tires at once, then be sure and purchase the four tire hazard warranties.

From your post it looks like the cost for the four tire warranty is $124.50. Would you buy a life insurance policy for four years(life of your tires) if it cost you $124.50 and only paid off $300 or $400(whatever one tire costs you to replace)?

Cost of one front tire is $169 and rear is $261.
So then it looks like you do have to purchase both certificates for front tires and rear tires
$78.50 + $46.00 = $124.50

Certificates for Repair, Refund or Replacement
Price $23.00
Extended $46.00

Price $39.25
Extended $78.50

Old 02-20-2012, 06:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Lets see it's a 2005 and I will replace shortly all 4 original Goodyears at 43,200+ miles.
I really don't want a tire shop to mess with the factory TPMS (If it ain't broke don't fix it) if that means anything.
I guess Discount tire is compentent enough to replace all 4 TPS for $16.00 I believe they are rebuilt if that means anything.?
There is nothing to replacing the TPS when the tire is off the rim but can be difficult to remove with the tire on the rim. The TPS is just a rectangular box at the base of the valve stem. The C5's didn't have provisions for a battery to be replaced(it was potted in) and I don't believe the C6 TPS has provisions for a battery replacement. There was a guy that was taking the C5 TPS, digging out the potting compound and replacing the battery, then re potting. But, the C5's TPS were over a hundred bucks new. I think you can purchase new C6 TPS for less then half that. I think I read where they made a change in the C6 TPS and the revised ones are cheaper then the original ones, but I don't know if the revised ones used in the later C6's will work in the older C6's You might have to check several of our forum dealers to see if that's true. I recommend Chris at SDPC as he has really good prices and doesn't try to fill in by charging high shipping rates.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:20 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

There is nothing to replacing the TPS when the tire is off the rim but can be difficult to remove with the tire on the rim. The TPS is just a rectangular box at the base of the valve stem. The C5's didn't have provisions for a battery to be replaced(it was potted in) and I don't believe the C6 TPS has provisions for a battery replacement. There was a guy that was taking the C5 TPS, digging out the potting compound and replacing the battery, then re potting. But, the C5's TPS were over a hundred bucks new. I think you can purchase new C6 TPS for less then half that. I think I read where they made a change in the C6 TPS and the revised ones are cheaper then the original ones, but I don't know if the revised ones used in the later C6's will work in the older C6's You might have to check several of our forum dealers to see if that's true. I recommend Chris at SDPC as he has really good prices and doesn't try to fill in by charging high shipping rates.
Not sure about that but the cost here is :
TPMS Rebuild Kit
$4.00 $16.00
Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Cost of one front tire is $169 and rear is $261.
So then it looks like you do have to purchase both certificates for front tires and rear tires
$78.50 + $46.00 = $124.50

Certificates for Repair, Refund or Replacement
Price $23.00
Extended $46.00

Price $39.25
Extended $78.50

So you purchase the warranties for $124.50, ruin a $169 tire, you don't come out to bad, or ruin a $261 tire and the waranty paid off to your benefit nicely, but if you drive the entire life of the tires without ruining a single tire then you're out $124.50.

Like anything else, you have to figure if the odds are with you or against you.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Not sure about that but the cost here is :
TPMS Rebuild Kit
$4.00 $16.00
That sounds like they are replacing the o-ring seal for $4.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

At Discount Tire the TPMS rebuild gets you a new seal and valve core (cap too if needed), similar to getting a new valve stem with a conventional tire. You want this.

The certificates are a non-prorated road hazard warrany. Some (most ?) new tires come with a prorated warranty so read the fine print and decide if it makes sense to you. Sometimes these things do pay off. In the last five times I've bought tires from Discount the non-prorated warranty has paid off three times and a mileage warranty once

Hope this helps
Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

So you purchase the warranties for $124.50, ruin a $169 tire, you don't come out to bad, or ruin a $261 tire and the waranty paid off to your benefit nicely, but if you drive the entire life of the tires without ruining a single tire then you're out $124.50.

Like anything else, you have to figure if the odds are with you or against you.
Pretty much so
Looks like we are narrowing it down.
Well I know the odds are very high around here with all kinds of debris on the freeways from pitch forks to nails, glass and metal that will penetrate the tire as it did to the original Goodyears at 43,000 miles. Just have to figure what are the odds of this happening within the 3 year period? If it was a lifetime warranty then it would be a easier decision.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Pretty much so
Looks like we are narrowing it down.
Well I know the odds are very high around here with all kinds of debris on the freeways from pitch forks to nails, glass and metal that will penetrate the tire as it did to the original Goodyears at 43,000 miles. Just have to figure what are the odds of this happening within the 3 year period? If it was a lifetime warranty then it would be a easier decision.
I checked on the part numbers for you on the tire pressure sensors for a 2005.

2005-09 are #25758220 and they look to be around $50-60 + shipping, each, depending on dealer. The 2010+(#15268606) are cheaper but I don't believe they will work on your car.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wjnjr
At Discount Tire the TPMS rebuild gets you a new seal and valve core (cap too if needed), similar to getting a new valve stem with a conventional tire. You want this.

The certificates are a non-prorated road hazard warrany. Some (most ?) new tires come with a prorated warranty so read the fine print and decide if it makes sense to you. Sometimes these things do pay off. In the last five times I've bought tires from Discount the non-prorated warranty has paid off three times and a mileage warranty once

Hope this helps
Thanks for your input.
Is the rebuilt TPS as good as the factory ones already in there?
If I got everything total cost would be $1,152.43
If I don't get road hazard and TPS rebuild kit total cost is $1,010.61
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

I checked on the part numbers for you on the tire pressure sensors for a 2005.

2005-09 are #25758220 and they look to be around $50-60 + shipping, each, depending on dealer. The 2010+(#15268606) are cheaper but I don't believe they will work on your car.
How does this Rebuild kit for $16.00 to TPM fit then at $4.00 each? Costs alot less is there a big quality difference?

#25758220 and they look to be around $50-60 + shipping, each,
Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Thanks for your input.
Is the rebuilt TPS as good as the factory ones already in there?
If I got everything total cost would be $1,152.43
If I don't get road hazard and TPS rebuild kit total cost is $1,010.61
The tps rebuilt kit only replaces the washer and nut as stated. It does nothing for the batteries which probably need replacing on a 05. I would price out new sensors if it were me.

Get notified of new replies

To When replacing your tires

Old 02-20-2012, 07:01 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
The tps rebuilt kit only replaces the washer and nut as stated. It does nothing for the batteries which probably need replacing on a 05. I would price out new sensors if it were me.
Like the factory ones above?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:01 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wjnjr

Hope this helps
They aren't replacing the battery. That's the item that fails, and it's cheaper and less likely to end up with wheel damage if the TPS is replaced when you put on a new set of tires.

You have 7 years on the current batteries and tires, so I'm assuming you plan on driving another 7 years on your new tires. That's 14 years on the original batteries in the original TPS's. It's a gamble if they will last that long. With 7 years on them and the tires off the rim, I would go ahead and replace the sensors. I know it's another ~$250, but you are most likely going to have to replace them before you wear our your new tires. A tire shop is also going to charge you $$$$$ to install new sensors, say, 3 years from now, and you will still have to fork up the ~$250 for the new sensors at that time.

You get new o-rings with the new sensors, along with new valve stem cores. If the nuts aren't damaged they do not need replacing(not at $6 each). They aren't doing you any favors in selling you a so called "rebuild" kit. The sensors don't have to be removed to change the tires, so if the o rings aren't leaking now, they don't need to replace them. Same goes with the cores( You can buy new cores and the little wrench at any parts store or Walmart) and it is replaced with the tire on the rim and the rim on the car. Takes about 1 minute to replace the core plus the time to air the tire back up.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-20-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Like the factory ones above?
Scroll down to C6 tire replacement sensors.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...house-com.html

Quick Reply: When replacing your tires