C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Tinted Side Markers

Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM
JABLS7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Tinted Side Markers

I bought some Night shade today and decided to tint out my side markers as i hate them as is
Whole thing Cost me about $12 and that is including the tail lights il be doing tomorrow

. Just a quick DIY for y'all.

As i did this i really didn't think about making it a write up but figured i would after so excuse the no pictures aspect.

**Tomorrow i will be Editing this with the update of how to Remove and Tint the Tail Lights and Third Brake Light **

1. I bought the VHT Nightshade from auto Zone along with 2000 Grit Wet/Dry Sand paper.

2. Remove the Side markers.
Front: Turn your wheels all the way one way or another depending on witch side your taking out. Example> if your taking the Drivers side marker out turn the wheel all the way towards the passenger side to access the Plastic guard that covers the inside of the front bumper. Remove the 5 Star head screws holding the Cover in place. Then pull the cover as far back as you can to squeeze your hand in and the pop out the retaining clips that hold the Side Marker in. There will be two clips per marker. Once seen it makes the process a lot easier but just know theres two and kinda fidget with what you can feel until the pop out on the first one.

Rear: Remove the furthermost left and right tail lights. To do so use the same Star head screw driver you used to remove the Covers in the front. Theres a Screw at the 12 O'clock position of each tail light facing up. Just remove the bolt and the tail light will slide right out.
( great time to tint the tail lights if your going to )
Once out reach into the open tail light towards where you think the side marker is located and once you feel it pop out the same two retaining clips like you did in the front. Also once the side markers are out twist the light assembly of each one to remove the bulb and separate you marker from the actually wiring harness.

3. Using the 2000 Grit Sand paper wet sand the side markers until there looking sorta hazy. I just put some dish soap in a cup of water, mixed it together and then dipped my sand paper in it every so often while sanding. After your finished Dry them off and they should look a little hazy or fogged. this is good.

4. use Alchol and wipe down the side markers to remove any oils or finger prints or other unwanted debris.

5. Tint the Side Marker.
I used the VHT NightShade but any sparyable tint will work, do very light even coats. Wait 5 Mins between coats depending on your temp and humidity. 2 coats should give you a smoked look if your spraying them correctly. 3 will be more blacked out. Being there side markers i did 3 as i don't care how bright they are when lit.

6. Clear Coat
Any clear coat will work, i used Duplicolor high gloss Automotive clear coat. Wait 10-15 Mins before applying the Clear to the lights after finishing your last coat of Tint. and again 5 Minutes between coats of clear. I did 3 coats starting with a very light 1st coat as always. Let this coat dry at least 1-2 Hours before Proceeding to step 7.

* if you want a high gloss factory look follow the steps below, if your satisfied with the look then ignore steps 7-8. Or if you want a flat look then get a flat clear coat and be done.

7. Wet Sand ( again )
Using the same 2000 Grit sand paper and the wet sanding solution you made earlier. ( soap and water ) very lightly wet sand the Side Markers. * Important ! only wet sand in one direction not circles or back and forth. Start from the left to right and then lift the sand paper back to the left and repeat.* You again want to get them a hazy look, but do not want to strip off the tint so be very careful.

8. Polish
apply Rubbing compound to the lights surface and rub the SH!& out of it, make sure you get the whole thing rubbed down and throughly. Once your finished. wipe it down with a microfiber cloth. If the shine/Glossy look is what you want go ahead and put a coat of wax on it. if not repeat with the rubbing compound.

9. Reinstall the Lights
Easy enough, re installation just requires putting the bulbs back into the markers and locking them into place and then pushing them back into their place.

10. Stand back and Enjoy

And here there on around 5pm

Please Excuse my car being so dirty, and the Z06 Emblems are getting painted Black/Red right now and thats why their off the car

As i said I'm sorry about the pictures not step by step, i think i covered just about anything i just didn't think to take pictures throughout the process. Il be doing my Tail lights tomorrow as i didn't have enough time today. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by JABLS7; 02-21-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Goatdad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Thanks for posting.
Your Z looks awesome.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM
JABLS7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Goatdad
Thanks for posting.
Your Z looks awesome.
Thank You !
Just wait another month, ZR1 body kit in all black, Black Headlights, and EXO Mesh 8 Concave Wheels in all Matte/Gloss Black. My Main Concern right now are the holes in my Fenders from no Z06 Emblems at the Moment Looks terrible
Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
ohfiver
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice job, looks great. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Goatdad
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Can't wait to see the finished product. Keep us posted.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Nice write-up, thanks. Good timing, as soon as it warms up around here I'm going to spray my markers and an extra set of tails, but not as dark as yours.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 PM
JABLS7
Instructor

Originally Posted by designerRob
Nice write-up, thanks. Good timing, as soon as it warms up around here I'm going to spray my markers and an extra set of tails, but not as dark as yours.
No problem, my tail lights I'm going more of a smoked, only reason I went so dark is because there side markers. I could care less if they light up or not lol. Plus with the black accents the dark side markers will pop more
Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,095 Likes on 807 Posts

I like it
Old 02-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Rocket-J
Pro

Did the very same thing to mine. So easy. I sanded the factory lettering off my markers before I painted them. I love the look. I will not do my tail lights. I want all the light I can get, here in Cal. traffic. Red tail and brake lights do not bother me.
Thanks for the write up. It couldn't be much easier or inexpensive to do.
I also did my GS Badge with the same VTH paint. Then I sanded them with 1500 grit to take the shine off. Repainted the G and the S in Royal Blue rather than Red. Everyone do your own thing. Have fun. Don't be scared to make it your own..
Old 02-21-2012, 11:18 PM
upsta8NY
Racer

Looks awsome,will be my next exterior mod for sure!!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:03 PM
MainGun06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just found this thread on google. about to knock this out now! thanks!!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 PM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 117 Posts

There are several videos on YouTube on how to do this as well. Just type in Nite Shades. I watched the videos a couple of times and followed the instructions when I tinted my new SMD side markers recently. Basically it's the same instructions as the OP.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Great write up looks awesome
Old 08-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Jeff-Ford
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great
Old 10-04-2013, 11:15 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Jabls7, quick question. I smoked my lens just like you instructed and they came out almost perfect. On one of the sidemarkers, I guess i didnt spray enough night shade on it and when I went to wetsand, it took off too much. Can I use paint thinner to remove the nightshade and clear coat to try it again? I may just send them off to get them done by a pro, as I could not get them glossy enough after wet sanding and polishing.

Anyone know how I would remove the nightshade and clear coat?
Old 03-24-2017, 06:46 PM
camarokidz28
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Bumping an old thread I know. Just noticed this thread has the picture from this site. I guess they're using your nightshade picture to sell their overpriced $200 tinted side markers. That's some bullshit.

https://www.corvettemods.com/C6-Corv...e-_p_6836.html
Old 06-28-2017, 11:21 PM
zeps7784
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like someone may be ripping your pics.....

https://www.corvettemods.com/C6-Corv...SABEgJXSvD_BwE

Get notified of new replies

To DIY: Tinted Side Markers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Tinted Side Markers