C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oiled air filters

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 AM
sledmaster
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oiled air filters

I have used oiled air filters for years and i noticed that if you clean the mass air sensor about every 60 days the throttle response is much better. Also if you do not have a PCV catch can you may need to remove the throttle body and clean the oil out of the intake manifold at least every 6 months to a year. I just cleaned mine and was surprised at how much oil was in the intake.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sledmaster
I have used oiled air filters for years and i noticed that if you clean the mass air sensor about every 60 days the throttle response is much better. Also if you do not have a PCV catch can you may need to remove the throttle body and clean the oil out of the intake manifold at least every 6 months to a year. I just cleaned mine and was surprised at how much oil was in the intake.
This is like K&N type of filter? Is this when you clean the filter and apply the oil yourself? Maybe you use too much oil, you should not have any residue anywhere...
Old 02-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

It's good maintenance to clean the MAF sensor periodically with electronics parts cleaner, but there should not be any oil on the MAF sensor. If there is it means excessive oil on the filter. After I installed my Halltech MF103 air intake, I checked my MAF sensor for any oil deposits, but it was clean. However, I did give the MAF sensor a quick spray for insurance.

I am still up in the air on the catch can.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 02-24-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:49 AM
sledmaster
Racer

Even if you are using the stock paper filter you still will get better throttle response when you clean the sensor every once and a while with CRC Mass Air Cleaner. I have used it for years.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM
s_c5519
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much everyone in the Hummer forums have had a problem with the oiled K&N filter and the MAF on stock motors...

I went with them GM aftermarket performance "non-oiled" CAI on the H2 and it works fine...

I haven't yet looked into what the Vettes have for options, but both vehicle being in the same similar GM line, I personally would stay away from the oiled filters...
Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't know about other brands, but if you pull a K&N out of its plastic wrap and install it, as is, that would be a mistake. It is, imo, far too heavily oiled. To do what peternj said above, I'd remove some of the oil before first installation with paper towels soaking it up. I'd also 'air-dry' it in direct sun, in a place where dirt won't get on it for a nice, long afternoon. Then, I'd install it.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:31 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

this just reminded me that I ran out of electric cleaner!

btw one other little maintenance thing that can be taken care of at the same time is the door contact pads. A little cleaning really helps speed up their reaction time
Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I use the best air filter element made. It's made by Donaldson, and uses nanofibers to filter out 99.97% of contaminants. It lasts for 50,000 miles and flows enough air to easily feed a 427 cu in engine running at 7,000 RPM. Oh, and it doesn't use any oil and will not release any oil that can coat the MAF and best of all, it comes as a standard equipment on all C6's. If that isn't good enough for you, then you can still make use of the Donaldson PowerCore technology and purchase the filter used in the ZR1, that filters just as well yet flows even more air and is a direct fit for the LS3/LS7. Just stop by your Chevrolet dealer and pick one up as it is standard equipment on all ZR1's.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:01 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

AND...if you tend to pull a lot of high R's & G's, like during a DE Track day, you will pull oil into the Mass Air Sensor...Personal experience here. I added two catch cans, one on the PCV and the other on the valve cover vent. I was rather surprised at the amount of oil the cans would collect after one event.....and to think all of that was going through the intake
Old 02-24-2012, 02:33 PM
slamminc6
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Check out attack blue filters from TKO Performance. Ask for Ed, they use a special oil that will not clog or damage MAF sensors. Just put one in the car last weekend and love it. It def. breathes a lot better.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:39 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I use the best air filter element made. It's made by Donaldson, and uses nanofibers to filter out 99.97% of contaminants. It lasts for 50,000 miles and flows enough air to easily feed a 427 cu in engine running at 7,000 RPM. Oh, and it doesn't use any oil and will not release any oil that can coat the MAF and best of all, it comes as a standard equipment on all C6's. If that isn't good enough for you, then you can still make use of the Donaldson PowerCore technology and purchase the filter used in the ZR1, that filters just as well yet flows even more air and is a direct fit for the LS3/LS7. Just stop by your Chevrolet dealer and pick one up as it is standard equipment on all ZR1's.
You said it perfectly. That Donaldson comes in an AC Delco box.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I was warned by a dealership that alot of people who use these oilter filters end up messing up their MAF.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LS WON
I was warned by a dealership that alot of people who use these oilter filters end up messing up their MAF.
GM has experienced a lot of automatic transmissioned cars having all types of weird transmission shifting problems. GM will not work on any car, under warranty, that comes in with those symptoms, that have an oiled cotton gauze filter installed. They will not spend their dollars chasing problems caused by an aftermarket product. In fact there is a TSB that spells that out.

One of the problems, as I see it, is that people with the oil cotton gauze filters are in a dilemma. If they over oil the filter, they take a chance on screwing up sensors downstream, and if they under oil the filter, they take a chance of letting a bunch of dirt get through.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-24-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:17 PM
sledmaster
Racer

I think i am going to get a catch can because to much oil is getting into my intake from the PCV. I wiped out a lot of oil out when i switched my throttle body out yesterday. I have worked on my own cars for 37 years since i have been driving and i have never seen oil in a new cars intake manifold.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

I think i am going to get a catch can because to much oil is getting into my intake from the PCV. I wiped out a lot of oil out when i switched my throttle body out yesterday. I have worked on my own cars for 37 years since i have been driving and i have never seen oil in a new cars intake manifold.
If you over oiled the oil bath filter on your new 1957 Chevy, you would see oil in the intake manifold.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:54 PM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by hisvett
AND...if you tend to pull a lot of high R's & G's, like during a DE Track day, you will pull oil into the Mass Air Sensor...Personal experience here. I added two catch cans, one on the PCV and the other on the valve cover vent. I was rather surprised at the amount of oil the cans would collect after one event.....and to think all of that was going through the intake
Actually any oil from the PCV system comes in after the MAF so it wont coat the MAF.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
You said it perfectly. That Donaldson comes in an AC Delco box.

I have a hardly used (less than 50 miles on it) K&N filter for sale for 2011 GS), $20, you pay for the shipping.

Get notified of new replies

To Oiled air filters

Old 02-24-2012, 09:54 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slamminc6
Check out attack blue filters from TKO Performance. Ask for Ed, they use a special oil that will not clog or damage MAF sensors. Just put one in the car last weekend and love it. It def. breathes a lot better.
And you know it breathes better how?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:12 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
GM has experienced a lot of automatic transmissioned cars having all types of weird transmission shifting problems. GM will not work on any car, under warranty, that comes in with those symptoms, that have an oiled cotton gauze filter installed. They will not spend their dollars chasing problems caused by an aftermarket product. In fact there is a TSB that spells that out.

One of the problems, as I see it, is that people with the oil cotton gauze filters are in a dilemma. If they over oil the filter, they take a chance on screwing up sensors downstream, and if they under oil the filter, they take a chance of letting a bunch of dirt get through.
A Ford mechanic told me about the problems with people oiling these filters.
The Corvette I keep it factory stock and am using the original factory air filters.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by marc8090
And you know it breathes better how?
Because they said it flowed 45% more air. Of course, how do they know their filter flows 45% more air if they haven't measured it and the stock Donaldson filter to determine their filter does, in fact, flow 45% more air?
If they have in fact measured the airflow of both filters using strict industry accepted protocols, then why don't they post the tests they performed, instead of just telling us they flow 45% more air? Same goes with filtration tests and laminar air flow tests.

Quick Reply: Oiled air filters