C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Any experience with the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires?

My 2011 GS Coupe with manual trans. and F55 has 16,000 miles and needs new rubber. I've been looking, reading, and asking for advice all fall and winter in anticipation of making the best possible choice. I'm kinda leaning towards the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport for the following reasons:
1. 300 tread wear rating (UTQG for the purists) compared to 220
2. Lower price for set (about $500)
3. 30,000 mile warranty (I know it's less due to rotation issue)

These are "data" issues. There are other anecdotal reasons such as better handling and noise claims but I have no first or second hand knowledge of these. Hoping someone may even though they are quite new. I know they are not ZP (runflats) but I'm tired of 16,000 mile limitation when I may be able to get near performance for better mileage. Besides, I've never had a flat and hoping ONSTAR may provide the insurance I need just in case. Opinions vary but I'd like to hear them.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by sdurg24
My 2011 GS Coupe with manual trans. and F55 has 16,000 miles and needs new rubber. I've been looking, reading, and asking for advice all fall and winter in anticipation of making the best possible choice. I'm kinda leaning towards the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport for the following reasons:

These are "data" issues. There are other anecdotal reasons such as better handling and noise claims but I have no first or second hand knowledge of these. Hoping someone may even though they are quite new. I know they are not ZP (runflats) but I'm tired of 16,000 mile limitation when I may be able to get near performance for better mileage. Besides, I've never had a flat and hoping ONSTAR may provide the insurance I need just in case. Opinions vary but I'd like to hear them.
There have been a couple of owners that have the Super Sports, buy not long enough to give us anything but a couple of days evaluation. Other then longer life then the OE Goodyears, what other benefits are you expecting to gain with the Super Sports that the PS2 won't provide, or the much cheaper Bridgestones that have a 280 rating.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:00 AM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
There have been a couple of owners that have the Super Sports, buy not long enough to give us anything but a couple of days evaluation. Other then longer life then the OE Goodyears, what other benefits are you expecting to gain with the Super Sports that the PS2 won't provide, or the much cheaper Bridgestones that have a 280 rating.
By Michelin's own account the Super Sports should give me 10,000 more miles than the PS2's, they cost about $700 less than the PS2's and I'm hoping the handling will be similar.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:37 AM
Fast98
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some on the way
Old 02-25-2012, 07:14 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I've been thinking the same. My guy at my local discount tire has revived good feed back from the ones hes sold so far. I'll be deciding in March along with a set of CCW wheels.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:59 AM
KRPTONT
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I also would be interested in knowing about this also. I hate the Goodyears and when I was at Convention last year the guys from Bowling Green were there and asked how I liked my new GS. I told them great except the tires. An they responded that is the number 1 complaint. Also I did not know that the rear tire were out yet. Last time I checked they were not. An I didn't know they were $500 a set. I like that. Will follow this thread. Thanks for posting. Shannon

Old 02-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

$500 less a set than PS2.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:10 AM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

I had a set of them on my 2009 G8 GXP, they replaced the stock Bridgestone RE050a's that came on the car. I put about 500 miles on them before I sold the car.

They rode excellent, handling was great as well. They have a huge outside edge tread block on them, plus you cant beat that they have a 300 treadware rating. For the money they would be a great tire to consider if you are going the non-run flat route.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

My brother replaced PS2's non run flats with the super sports on his turbo porsche. He loves them and said they are an improvement over the PS2's. The difference is not by a large margin, but he felt they are stickier.
As far as mileage, I have 30k miles on the ZP's, compare that to 16k on the G.Y. Supercars.
The Super Spoorts would be my choice for a non runflat tire.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Important to remember that the Super Sport is not made in a runflat model. Whether or not that is important to you...it is something to consider.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

By Michelin's own account the Super Sports should give me 10,000 more miles than the PS2's, they cost about $700 less than the PS2's and I'm hoping the handling will be similar.
Looking at Tire Rack's site, the SS non runflat is $522 cheaper then the PS2 run flat but with a much higher tire wear rating(300 vs 220). If the loss of the run flat feature isn't important to you, it appears that is the way to go.

If one(me) wishes to keep the run flat feature then the SS is $68 cheaper then the bridgestone RE050A run flat tire and the Bridgestone has a 280 tires rating vs the SS's 300. From the wear I have seen so far on my Bridgestones, I expect to see at least 25,000 miles from them. Quite an improvement over the Goodyear SuperCars with a 220 rating and a $1802 price tag.

PS- when I was looking at new tires for my Z06, I checked Tire Rack and DTD and then my local tire dealer. I got the Bridgestones for $1567 out the door(that includes taxes, mounting and balancing) in April, 2011. Beat the snot out of the mail order dealer's prices.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-25-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:55 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HrtGuy
I also would be interested in knowing about this also. I hate the Goodyears and when I was at Convention last year the guys from Bowling Green were there and asked how I liked my new GS. I told them great except the tires. An they responded that is the number 1 complaint. Also I did not know that the rear tire were out yet. Last time I checked they were not. An I didn't know they were $500 a set. I like that. Will follow this thread. Thanks for posting. Shannon
No, no, no! Not $500 a set! Sorry for the confusion. They are $500 less per set than the PS2. Still a lot of moolah.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:34 PM
G b 2 G
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No comlpaints here.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:44 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Don't compare tire wear ratings between brands. Bridgestone's 280 could be better than Michelin's 300 for example. Tire wear ratings are pretty much bogus. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to believe an A/S tire is better than a top performance tire (A/S ZP vs PS2 ZP). You are giving up a lot of grip for some additional miles.

I hope the Super Sport comes out with a ZP version for the GS/Z06. I'm not switching to run flat. Too many in the middle of no where places out here in Utah. The less chance of having a tire removed is better for me and my rims.

I'll even be buying a good air compressor and a can of goo just to keep me going if I need to. (which I would have needed last year if I was driving my Vette instead of my Denali, it took an old wheel weight into the left rear tread and I had to use the spare). No tire repair shop for 200 miles or so.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:31 PM
boost2na
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1580112657-post75.html

Cliffs: Michelin PSS tires in stock sizes will let you nail it off the line with a one to two foot rollout and stick like glue at full throttle all the way through 2nd in 45 degrees F. NO lateral movement. I'm still shocked. Summer traction and winter power!

To quote myself:
These things are seriously a game changer. Every single car that had an advantage over the vette in cold weather just lost it.

Last edited by boost2na; 02-25-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

My buddy is a race car driver and he replaced the stock Bridgestones, that were specifically designed for his Aston Martin Vantage N420, with the Super Sports. He said it's like driving a different car. The Michelins are that much better and he gets more miles out of them. He's incredibly hard on his tires.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Gregory123
He said it's like driving a different car. The Michelins are that much better and he gets more miles out of them. He's incredibly hard on his tires.

I have been floggin/testing these since 2010 ............they are the best fully treaded street tire today!

Get notified of new replies

To Any experience with the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires?

Old 02-27-2012, 01:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Don't compare tire wear ratings between brands. Bridgestone's 280 could be better than Michelin's 300 for example. Tire wear ratings are pretty much bogus. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to believe an A/S tire is better than a top performance tire (A/S ZP vs PS2 ZP). You are giving up a lot of grip for some additional miles.

I hope the Super Sport comes out with a ZP version for the GS/Z06. I'm not switching to run flat. Too many in the middle of no where places out here in Utah. The less chance of having a tire removed is better for me and my rims.

I'll even be buying a good air compressor and a can of goo just to keep me going if I need to. (which I would have needed last year if I was driving my Vette instead of my Denali, it took an old wheel weight into the left rear tread and I had to use the spare). No tire repair shop for 200 miles or so.

While you can't get an accurate indication of tire life based on the rating, you can get an idea of how different tires will last. Looking at a Bridgestone with 280 rating tells me that the tire will last longer then the Michelin Cup with a 80 rating. Maybe the Bridgestone won't last 3.5 times longer the the Cup tire, but you know it will last longer.

I don't understand your comment about not running runflats on your car and rim damage. You can stick a plug in a run flat tire just as easy as a non run flat tire on the side of the highway, but if the tire, either run flat or non run flat, needs to be repaired or replaced at a tire shop 200 miles away, they both will have to be removed from the wheel.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish some autocross or trackday guys would weigh in on these tires.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Ok since Michelin does not make the SS in stock sizes, what size will fit my 05 coupe? If I buy new wheels then can I use one of the sizes that they do make? My discount store said the rep told him they will not be available until 2013.

Quick Reply: Any experience with the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires?