C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Onstar Navagation Question - 2012

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 PM
vtech
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Onstar Navagation Question - 2012

I just picked up my 2012 C6 yesterday and activated my Onstar.

As you know it offers you Turn to Turn directions over the speakers but I am not seeing the instructions over the digital radio like my GMC Acadia.

Does that portion not funtion on the vette like some GM products. Curious if it is not working properly

Thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vtech
I just picked up my 2012 C6 yesterday and activated my Onstar.

As you know it offers you Turn to Turn directions over the speakers but I am not seeing the instructions over the digital radio like my GMC Acadia.

Does that portion not funtion on the vette like some GM products. Curious if it is not working properly

Thanks
let me help make this a lot more clear, bottom line the factory NAV is a total antequated piece of garbage that should have never made it past model year 2007
you cannot download directions to it, you cannot use the iPhone app for on star , and you cannot program nav while driving, and you cannot ask it to locate a restaurant along your current route or even get a general direction of where one might be located. you also cannot ask it to dial the phone number from the database.
the only thing of value you can do is recall a previous destination and only if its in the list of the last 4 you saved while driving.

what you can do since your original question was a no anyway, there are several aftermarket systems that do all of these things and add a ton of features on top of it all.
the only thing you loose is the heads up turn by turn in the HUD
I'm waiting for the new kenwood to come out because i can get it at cost and i plan to upgrade at that time.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
let me help make this a lot more clear, bottom line the factory NAV is a total antequated piece of garbage that should have never made it past model year 2007
you cannot download directions to it, you cannot use the iPhone app for on star , and you cannot program nav while driving, and you cannot ask it to locate a restaurant along your current route or even get a general direction of where one might be located. you also cannot ask it to dial the phone number from the database.
the only thing of value you can do is recall a previous destination and only if its in the list of the last 4 you saved while driving.

what you can do since your original question was a no anyway, there are several aftermarket systems that do all of these things and add a ton of features on top of it all.
the only thing you loose is the heads up turn by turn in the HUD
I'm waiting for the new kenwood to come out because i can get it at cost and i plan to upgrade at that time.
I don't think that the OP's question had anything to do with the factory nav. He is asking about OnStar's Turn by Turn package. I have that package from OnStar and the nav instructions do not show up on the radio screen, verbal only through the speakers. However, my car is an '08 and my understanding was that the later models supported instructions on the radio screen. I would call OnStar and ask them directly.

Last edited by vetteright; 02-29-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:46 AM
vtech
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Follow up

Vetteright - you are correct and thanks for your feedback. It sounds like my 2012 funtions exactly like your 2008 - maybe their has not been a improvement.

Actually it probably will not show up on the radio screen - it seems like it is to thin (skinny) to display the actual turn by turn directions.

My Acadia Radio Screen is much wider and diplays bright blue - the vette is a dark print on the thinner screen.

I will call GM and confirm but it sounds like your 2008 Onstar is like my 2012 Onstar.

By the way to the prior thread - I agree - the Corvette Navagation system stinks. I have heard that from so many other C6 vette owners and decided for that reason never to include one on a purchase.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:48 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Everything I've seen posted about OnStar's Turn-by-turn has been very negative.

I'm pretty sure it can't display anything on the Nav screen and by most accounts, it can't get you where you want to go successfully, at least not often enough to make it worth the price.

The other OnStar features appear to work better.

YMMV

There's an excellent tutorial on the OEM Nav in the FAQ/Sticky section above. Forum Guru, Ray Kawal has a popular mod that lets you enter info on the fly.

Congrats on the new car.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 AM
gunnerja
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have nothing of value to add about the onstar turn by turn. The disappointing thing is my 2010 F250 with Sync Nav kicks the crap out of my 2010 GS nav. Shameful ... in a work truck too.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I think the OnStar turn-by-turn navigation is great, especially since I don't have the optional Nav system in my 2011 GS (it's a 2LT).

I have only lived in this city for a short time and don't know my way around all that good. The street setup is very confusing here.

I give OnStar the address where I want to go, and it gives verbal commands right there ... Nothing to it!

Is it worth $300 per year? ... I don't think so, but when my free 6 months of OnStar was about to expire, I talked to the OnStar Loyalty Dept, and they gave me the full $300 package for $200 plus an additional 100 free minutes of the OnStar cellphone time. That was worth it as far as my situation is concerned.

For the OP ... If you don't have the optional Nav, the directions you get from OnStar are all verbal over your speakers. Nothing is shown on the radio display.

If you do have the optional Nav, I don't have a clue ... but I don't think the OnStar is tied in at all with the car's optional Nav system. Completely separate.

Maybe I will buy a GPS sometime, but for now, the OnStar turn-by-turn navigation is really nice to have.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:43 PM
NOMRW8NG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2012 with nav and can confirm that the OnStar navigation does not connect with the navi in the car. Spent I don't remember how long on the phone with OnStar tech support who confirmed that the 2012 vette does not have that functionality.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:46 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I've had 3 Acadias' with my last being a 2012 Denali, 2011 Sierra Denali HD along with my Vette and the nav screens are basically all the same. All my Acadias' have the HUD but I have never had the need to use On Star for navigation as it seems a little redundant. That being said I see no possible way OnStar could send directions through the radio screen or HUD.

Get notified of new replies

To Onstar Navagation Question - 2012

Quick Reply: Onstar Navagation Question - 2012