C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for GM dealership- manual for standards for a Cert Pre Owned

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:54 AM
ryker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still looking for the GM set guidelines? Not even the GM Cust service rep that visits wants to chime in. Says a lot about the faith they have in dealerships carrying there products and using the label of "GM certified".
Old 03-24-2012, 11:47 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by ryker
Still looking for the GM set guidelines? Not even the GM Cust service rep that visits wants to chime in. Says a lot about the faith they have in dealerships carrying there products and using the label of "GM certified".
Why don't you just lawyer up and move on ....
Old 03-24-2012, 11:59 AM
ryker
Pro

Lawyer is not needed for magistrate courts. If fraud occurred at the level I think it did then I could justify a superior court suit plus seek criminal charges. My local judge said she would sign an arrest warrant.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Ryker,

You can find all the information about GM Pre-Certified vehicles at http://www.gmcertified.com/certified-advantage.

The vehicle must:

Be a 2007 (or newer) model Chevy, Buick, GMC, Pontiac or Saturn

Have a maximum of 75,000 miles

Pass our 172-Point Vehicle Inspection and Reconditioning Process

Have a clean title

Come with a Vehicle History Report

I hope this helps,
Evan Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 AM
ryker
Pro

What are the standards and qualifications for passing each of the "our 172-Point Vehicle Inspection and Reconditioning Process"?

Example are three seat tears OK or is one seat tear the max.

Does GM provide the dealership with any guidlines beyond the short little link you provide? I would assume that there is a rather thick manual with paragraphs on each of the 172 points. More so than the one liners on the advertising material.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:27 AM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Ryker,

You can find all the information about GM Pre-Certified vehicles at http://www.gmcertified.com/certified-advantage.

The vehicle must:

Be a 2007 (or newer) model Chevy, Buick, GMC, Pontiac or Saturn

Have a maximum of 75,000 miles

Pass our 172-Point Vehicle Inspection and Reconditioning Process

Have a clean title

Come with a Vehicle History Report

I hope this helps,
Evan Chevrolet Customer Service
Evan, you should have stayed far away from this thread !!!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

My daughter brought a used certified Equinox. I was there when she picked it up and the salesman said that being certified was like buying a new car. A few days after picking it up, there was a rattle in the door. She called up the service dept and wanted to make an appointment to have it fixed. She was told that if they found that the door panel was removed she would be responsible for all charges. Now how would she know if the door panel was ever removed. I called them and try to explain this and they told me the same thing. I called two different GM dealers. I had a friend of mine fix the rattle.

As far as I am concerned, "CERTIFIED" means absolutely nothing.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:35 AM
topper7788
Pro

What are the standards and qualifications for passing each of the "our 172-Point Vehicle Inspection and Reconditioning Process"?

Example are three seat tears OK or is one seat tear the max.

Does GM provide the dealership with any guidlines beyond the short little link you provide? I would assume that there is a rather thick manual with paragraphs on each of the 172 points. More so than the one liners on the advertising material.

Let's see, power door lock, yep they work
Power windows. Yep they work
Radio. Yep it works.

A high % of the certification is basically yes or no.. Not rocket science

Some item like say "damage" is very open to interpretation as a GM certified is not supposed to have sustained "major" damage, that does not mean it couldn't have been in a accident or have an accident reported in CarFax.. Ask 3 techs what they consider major damage, and you will probably get 3 different answers..

Unfortunately your not going to get a black and white answer. Some leeway is given and some things are open to some interpretation.... But most items are basically a pass fail deal and really pretty simple.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:42 AM
topper7788
Pro

Originally Posted by Stan0324
My daughter brought a used certified Equinox. I was there when she picked it up and the salesman said that being certified was like buying a new car. A few days after picking it up, there was a rattle in the door. She called up the service dept and wanted to make an appointment to have it fixed. She was told that if they found that the door panel was removed she would be responsible for all charges. Now how would she know if the door panel was ever removed. I called them and try to explain this and they told me the same thing. I called two different GM dealers. I had a friend of mine fix the rattle.

As far as I am concerned, "CERTIFIED" means absolutely nothing.

A rattle is not going to keep a vehicle from being certified..

The salesman should not have used the wording "like buying a new car", it IS NOT, it is like buying a "certified" used car... A proper sales term would be, "a certified used car is as close to buying new as you can get and has passed our blah, blah, blah inspection"... The only way to buy a new car exactly that... Buy a new car, which as soon as you take delivery is now a used car!!

Quick Reply: Question for GM dealership- manual for standards for a Cert Pre Owned