C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for GM dealership- manual for standards for a Cert Pre Owned

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 AM
ryker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for GM dealership- manual for standards for a Cert Pre Owned

Does GM provide a manual or guidelines to dealership covering what level of damages will or will not pass the 128 point inspection. Also what level of wear and/or damages that are acceptable and do not require "reconditioned to factory like standards".

If such a manual/ guidelines exist I'd be thrilled to get a copy of it.

Example: bondo body repair over 10" not acceptable. Paint chips smaller than 10mm acceptable only if reconditioned.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Scotten
Racer

When you buy a certified car, the dealer will bring out a pile of certification and inspection documents. However, I'd heard of a GM Certified car with a dented rocker panel, so... I don't think it has much value.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 AM
MikeBravo56
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

When I bought my Certified vette the inspection was done by the salesman, not the service technician. I like it for the up to 12 months of protection and the 24 months of free maintenance.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ryker
Does GM provide a manual or guidelines to dealership covering what level of damages will or will not pass the 128 point inspection. Also what level of wear and/or damages that are acceptable and do not require "reconditioned to factory like standards".

If such a manual/ guidelines exist I'd be thrilled to get a copy of it.

Example: bondo body repair over 10" not acceptable. Paint chips smaller than 10mm acceptable only if reconditioned.
Very hard to determine when bondo body repairs are done to a Corvette. On metal cars they can use a magnet but no such thing on a Corvette.

Other than esthetics (looking bad) paint chips on Corvettes are sort of meaningless. Since the parts can not corrode there is no advantage to repairing them. Unlike metal cars paint chips don't threaten the future usability of the vehicle.

Bill
Old 03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
ryker
Pro

Those were just crude examples.

Paint chips are not "factory set standards" nor is it "industry best".

There must be a standard set for each inspection item. Otherwise crooks (dealership) would label every car and take in more value. Then stiff GM or warranty repairs.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
GRG
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Certified

It means they checked the oil prior to adding a quart of the cheap stuff.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:30 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

GM Certified is only for mechanical & electrical parts. It has absolutely nothing to do with chips in the paint.

Oh,and the tires. I traded in a C6 a few years back with almost brand new PS2's on it & they had to scrap em' for GY runflats to certify the car.

Edit: After reading Bill Dearborns post it would appear they owe you a bottle of touch up paint. If you thought it meant the paint would be factory fresh you were mistaken.

Last edited by redzone; 03-12-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:36 PM
MikeBravo56
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Oh,and the tires. I traded in a C6 a few years back with almost brand new PS2's on it & they had to scrap em' for GY runflats to certify the car.

Mine came with Invo Nittos, certified.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:37 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

since there are not as many GM employees on here, why not ask the question of GM directly? surely, they must know the definitive word(s) on what constitutes a CPO car. or, is there some reason you feel the general public would know more than GM about its policies...
Old 03-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Did a quick search on Yahoo and found this on the GM Certified web site:
http://www.gmcertified.com/themes/de...list051811.pdf

Bill
Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBravo56
Mine came with Invo Nittos, certified.
Just repeating what I was told when I was in the dealership shortly after trading my car when I noticed they had replaced the PS2's with the GY RF's.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 PM
0PartsTaxi.com
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The inspection process is a pretty complete inspection, and does have guidelines for paint/body damage as well. The problem with the program is, it is up to the dealership to properly perform the inspection etc. Being it is a dealership governed program, as stated above, a salesman (or janitor or whoever) can sign off on the paperwork. Of course, GM can audit the process, but I've never heard of them doing that. I know they are done correctly at our dealership, don't want an issue and repair work is gross profit for parts and service departments . But, I've seen other places just sign off on the paperwork before the car was ever brought home from the auction.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 AM
ryker
Pro

Originally Posted by AORoads
since there are not as many GM employees on here, why not ask the question of GM directly? surely, they must know the definitive word(s) on what constitutes a CPO car. or, is there some reason you feel the general public would know more than GM about its policies...

GM Cust service basicly said it was a systems check and they alluded towards allowing many items to not be "reconditioned to factory like standards". Which flys against all of their advertising material.

If such fraud is rampant as it appears then the Attonery Generals office needs to bring a case.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 AM
ryker
Pro

Originally Posted by redzone
GM Certified is only for mechanical & electrical parts. It has absolutely nothing to do with chips in the paint.

Edit: After reading Bill Dearborns post it would appear they owe you a bottle of touch up paint. If you thought it meant the paint would be factory fresh you were mistaken.

False.

The certification is clear on what it covers. Advertising material says "to include floor mats" 128 points of inspection of the "industry best" and "reconditioned to factory like standards".
Old 03-13-2012, 10:06 AM
ryker
Pro

OCGA 16-8-3 theft by deception

(1) creates or confirms another's impression of an existing fact or past event which is false.

You can't sell silver and tell the buyer it is certified and 128 point inspected gold.

Last edited by ryker; 03-13-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

you go, eric h.! you go!
Old 03-13-2012, 04:37 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Retired GM here I sold new and used cars at a small dealer. They didn't want to pay the techs to inspect used cars or repair. If something was wrong they sent them out to an independent shop cheaper rate than they pay their techs. So to me saying a car is certified is liking dating a virgin yeah right.
z51vett

Get notified of new replies

To Question for GM dealership- manual for standards for a Cert Pre Owned

Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 PM
P0234
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Very hard to determine when bondo body repairs are done to a Corvette. On metal cars they can use a magnet but no such thing on a Corvette.

Other than esthetics (looking bad) paint chips on Corvettes are sort of meaningless. Since the parts can not corrode there is no advantage to repairing them. Unlike metal cars paint chips don't threaten the future usability of the vehicle.

Bill
Magnet??? I'd expect a bit more as someone billed a tech contributor. For metal, these days, and for 10+ years, run of the mill paint gauges have been used. They run about $200. For cars that are non aluminium or steel bodied, the equipment is more expensive, but it still exists. It will not only tell you if there is bondo but it will tell you how much paint is on the panel, signalling a repaint.

A large percentage of car buyers have the metal based testers, we had them at a dealership I worked at back in the 90's. Its foolish to purchase cars without them.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 AM
ryker
Pro

Originally Posted by PartsTaxi.com
The inspection process is a pretty complete inspection, and does have guidelines for paint/body damage as well. The problem with the program is, it is up to the dealership to properly perform the inspection etc. Being it is a dealership governed program, as stated above, a salesman (or janitor or whoever) can sign off on the paperwork. Of course, GM can audit the process, but I've never heard of them doing that. I know they are done correctly at our dealership, don't want an issue and repair work is gross profit for parts and service departments . But, I've seen other places just sign off on the paperwork before the car was ever brought home from the auction.

How could I get a copy of those detailed guidelines?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:00 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
Retired GM here I sold new and used cars at a small dealer. They didn't want to pay the techs to inspect used cars or repair. If something was wrong they sent them out to an independent shop cheaper rate than they pay their techs. So to me saying a car is certified is liking dating a virgin yeah right.
z51vett
As a former car dealer I need to comment on this... While some dealers do sublet used cars repairs any WELL RUN dealer will not sublet most repairs as in reality the used car department is supposed to be the service department's biggest customer. (and should be treated as such as well)

I could go on for hours on how, why and how some dealers "don't get it"

But most dealers keep the majority of their work in house and while the dealer is responsible for certification in most cases at least where I have been involved they do the manufacturers guidelines. With that said there is some interpretation that can couse some differences from store to store.

Quick Reply: Question for GM dealership- manual for standards for a Cert Pre Owned