C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitto's & Fix-a-flat

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:13 PM
DonF
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitto's & Fix-a-flat

Looking at buying a set of Nitto Invo's for my 2011 GS. I was told by the tire dealer that if I have a flat & use fix a flat that I will mess up my sensors. I haven't heard that before & my 2002 Z06 came with fix a flat & an air pump. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Fix a Flat and similar products have been reported to clog Tire Pressure Sensors. Hopefully a member who has utilized this method in a real life situation will post his experience - both with effectiveness of temp repair and long term sensor issues . . . .
Old 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm surprised the dealer would say that.
There are many new cars today that do not come with a spare tire, only an "emergency mobility kit", which includes a pump that injects sealant into the tire. The newer "fix-a-flat" products do not clog or damage the tire pressure sensors.
Read more here:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/th...pare-tire.html
Old 03-12-2012, 02:03 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Subscribed
Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by car2fast4you
I'm surprised the dealer would say that.
There are many new cars today that do not come with a spare tire, only an "emergency mobility kit", which includes a pump that injects sealant into the tire. The newer "fix-a-flat" products do not clog or damage the tire pressure sensors.
Read more here:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/th...pare-tire.html

The newer "fix-a-flat" products do not clog or damage the tire pressure sensors.

I somehow missed that sentence in the linked article your provided - can you specify where it says that please?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:20 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
The newer "fix-a-flat" products do not clog or damage the tire pressure sensors.

I somehow missed that sentence in the linked article your provided - can you specify where it says that please?
I wasn't basing that statement on the article that I referenced.
I've been researching tires for about 6 months now. I'm ready to make the switch to non-run-flats. That decision is based on the several articles and forum threads I have read about "fix-a-flat" systems, as well as reading the actual product packaging.

According to this article, 13% of new cars do not come with a spare tire. That includes many Ford Mustangs (fact - not in the article), which come with a pump/sealant system. 100% of new cars now come with a tire pressure monitoring system.
http://ask.cars.com/2011/07/how-many...pare-tire.html
I wouldn't be surprised if the C7 came with a pump & sealant system.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:31 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by car2fast4you
I wasn't basing that statement on the article that I referenced.
I've been researching tires for about 6 months now. I'm ready to make the switch to non-run-flats. That decision is based on the several articles and forum threads I have read about "fix-a-flat" systems, as well as reading the actual product packaging.

According to this article, 13% of new cars do not come with a spare tire. That includes many Ford Mustangs (fact - not in the article), which come with a pump/sealant system. 100% of new cars now come with a tire pressure monitoring system.
http://ask.cars.com/2011/07/how-many...pare-tire.html
I wouldn't be surprised if the C7 came with a pump & sealant system.

I guess I'm curious - why with the leaps and bounds improvements made in run flat tire technology recently, would you want to abandon that peace of mind assurance. The pump and sealant system works sometimes - run flats work all the time. A tire like the Michelin PS2 ZP performs so well from a handling, ride comfort and noise standpoint that you would be hard pressed to find a non run flat matching or beating it . . . . so, is it a matter of cost only. Just looking for insight.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:36 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I have been run non-runflat tires for 10 years now and got one nail in the tire, got it fixed and did not have to use a plug or my fix-a-flat that I always carry, just in case, worth the risk to me
Old 03-12-2012, 02:37 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I was at the auto parts store getting a can of green slime. It specificaly stated safe for tpms. I will try to snap a picture of the can if it is still in the bed of the truck.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Discount tire told me the fix a flat stuff would mess up the rim and sensors.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Newer fix a flat products are water soluble, so the sensors can be washed out after getting the stuff in them. Water doesn't bother sensors. It's all here in the Slime FAQ section...about the eighth question down:

http://www.slime.com/category/faqs/
Old 03-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

When GM started mounting run flats on the Corvette they warned against using tire sealants since they could potentially damage the sensor. The C5Z06 didn't come with tire pressure sensors and GM provided a kit that had sealant along with an air compressor.

The 05 and 10 Corvette and 08/09 Malibu Owner's Manuals have this statement:
Notice: Liquid tire sealants could damage the Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) sensors. Sensor damage caused by using a tire sealant is not covered by your warranty. Do not use liquid tire sealants.

You can find this comment on line. Even though fix a flat is supposed to be sensor free this shop says they don't find the statement convincing.

http://cars.talkzilla.com/boards/rea...ssage_id=13965

The Slime website doesn't seem to say anything about sensors.

If you want to use a sealant then you pay your money and you take your chances. As for me I won't stock any sealant in either my Corvette or Malibu.

Bill
Old 03-12-2012, 03:35 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Newer fix a flat products are water soluble, so the sensors can be washed out after getting the stuff in them. Water doesn't bother sensors. It's all here in the Slime FAQ section...about the eighth question down:

http://www.slime.com/category/faqs/
This is what I carry and it says that on front of box. I also carry Dyna Plug that I have successfully used before on my old original GY RF tires.
(also carry PX2 powerstation which is an air compressor with a jump battery starter)

I did utilize the run flat feature from the GY runflats but it didn't result in getting stranded or getting a flat tire out in the middle of the road.
Tire shop refused to patch or plug it after they removed piece of metal.
So I had to plug it myself using Dyna Plug and drove it for 6 months with no problem.
Now I have been driving on brand new Continental DWS tires and they are so quiet and smooth compared to original GY runflats that I got 43,800+ miles on with fronts worn (the front tire that had metal in was a defective tire where the belt jump per alignment technician-you could see some of the belt under tire showing which is probably why tire shop didn't want to be responsible for plugging it) but rears were still good.

Last edited by LS WON; 03-12-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:43 PM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

I think GM has changed stance then, my 2009 G8 GXP did not come with a spare and had TPMS on it. it came with a can of slime and an inflator kit to use in emergencies.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:47 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When GM started mounting run flats on the Corvette they warned against using tire sealants since they could potentially damage the sensor. The C5Z06 didn't come with tire pressure sensors and GM provided a kit that had sealant along with an air compressor.

The 05 and 10 Corvette and 08/09 Malibu Owner's Manuals have this statement:
Notice: Liquid tire sealants could damage the Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) sensors. Sensor damage caused by using a tire sealant is not covered by your warranty. Do not use liquid tire sealants.

You can find this comment on line. Even though fix a flat is supposed to be sensor free this shop says they don't find the statement convincing.

http://cars.talkzilla.com/boards/rea...ssage_id=13965

The Slime website doesn't seem to say anything about sensors.

If you want to use a sealant then you pay your money and you take your chances. As for me I won't stock any sealant in either my Corvette or Malibu.

Bill
Bill, Here's what I found on Slime site

"As leaders in the tire care and repair industry, Accessories Marketing, Incorporated (AMI), the manufacturers of Slime Tire Sealant wish to address the mandate set forth in the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation (TREAD) Act, passed in the fall of 2000. In response to this mandate, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) established the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard that requires the installation of Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) to all vehicles by September 1, 2007.

From our findings, and after significant dialog with the leading manufacturers of TPMS devices, SLiME Tire Sealant will not damage TPMS devices. We understand TPMS manufacturers have conducted extensive testing to ensure their sensors remain operational after exposure to any chemical fluids that might come into contact with the sensors. This includes after market products, such as Slime Tire Sealant. AMI has also conducted independent testing, which supports and verifies Slime Tire Sealant’s compatibility with TPMS devices. 

Currently, there are two types of TPMS devices available: Direct and Indirect. Slime Tire Sealant’s TPMS formulation is compatible with all TPMS systems. However, it is important to note that once installed, Slime Tire Sealant may come in contact with the sensor in a way that renders the sensor TEMPORARILY inoperable until it is properly cleaned, inspected and re-installed by a tire care professional.

Because Slime is a water soluble flat repair treatment, it is easily removed from the tire with water. At the time the affected tire is inspected by a tire care professional, they should clean the sealant from the tire, prepare the area and repair with a Rubber Manufacturer’s Association (RMA) approved patch/plug. The TPMS device should also be cleaned off with water to remove any sealant which may have come into contact with the device. Do not use any fine objects to ream and clean the small pressure sensor opening as it may damage the electronics. After the repaired tire is replaced and inflated the TPMS system will resume operating as normal.

Please note that Slime is recommended as a REPAIR for all Over the Road (OTR) applications.Look for our TPMS Safe formulas, denoted by the yellow label and TPMS Safe icon."
Old 03-12-2012, 03:57 PM
fleetc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a nail in mine that I had 'plugged' by the professionals, it started leaking too. So it bought a can of 'sensor safe' slime and used it. It DID kill the sensor, but I figured a new sensor was cheaper than a new tire.

Last edited by fleetc; 03-12-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:24 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've always carried fix-a-flat in my other cars.

It's not my first choice for a flat tire. But even when there's a full-size spare available, it's good to have the option.

Years ago I helped a soccer Mom with a flat and a van full of kids. She had to get going in a hurry and didn't care about the the gooey mess & possible expense from damage to the sensor/tire/rim. So I used my can of fix-a-flat, no problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Nitto's & Fix-a-flat

Old 03-12-2012, 04:27 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot

It's not my first choice for a flat tire. But even when there's a full-size spare available, it's good to have the option.

Years ago I helped a soccer Mom with a flat and a van full of kids. She had to get going in a hurry and didn't care about the the gooey mess & possible expense from damage to the sensor/tire/rim. So I used my can of fix-a-flat, no problem.

Wonder how 'Soccer Dad' felt about it when he had to deal with the expense
Old 03-12-2012, 04:28 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot

It's always good to have options.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:56 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Without getting into details, keeping an eye on the pressure by the DIC and carrying a credit card. a cell phone, maybe an AAA card, and a small compressor, will handle 99% of tire issues.

In the last 229,000 miles (43,000 w/runflats) on our current 3 vehicles there was 1 flat (on a runflat) and 1 blowout (non-repairable). Two other potential flats were caught early by watching the DIC before they became a problem.

I don't fear being stranded in the event of a failure. I'm quite used to it. I've had 7 battery failures, 2 dead alternators, and the one blowout that shut me down on those same 3 vehicles.

Quick Reply: Nitto's & Fix-a-flat