C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! My ashtray won't open. 2008, 212K miles and going strong.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HELP! My ashtray won't open. 2008, 212K miles and going strong.

OK. So I found a bunch of threads that say what to do if your ashtray won't close but mine won't open. I don't smoke so it's not a huge deal but I use to put my watch in there when I went into the gym. It's not opened for about 6 months and does get annoying on vacation when I'm trying to use my GPS and charge the cell phone. I'm not trying to pay a few hundred dollars at the dealer for a mechanic to do something I may be able to get my husband to do.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:55 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

(y'oughta comment on that guy who's gonna go buy a 150K mile vette; he's real handy with engines. I'm sure he'd be willing to tell you how to open an ashtray drawer.)

Me,, I don't know other than jiggling the door around. Something may be caught and it could just loosen up. Assuming you've done that quite a bit and it's still not working, I'd say it looks like the console has to come off. I've seen descriptions on how it's done, and doesn't seem to be that complicated. May be able to access whatever might be catching thru the gear shift lever by pulling only that cover---not sure that will work tho. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remove console worst case scenario and replace it if is broken or stuck closed. You can get a replacement easily in the parts section
Old 12-31-2012, 05:33 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Trade it in, but don't tell them about the ash tray, they'll cheat you out of a few dollars ...

Or try and angle pick behind the door and jimmy it
Old 12-31-2012, 05:39 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Just an thought but maybe the spring that pulls it open when it's unlatched is disconnected. Try pushing on the bottom half of the door at the same time you push the top half to release the latch.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! My ashtray won't open. 2008, 212K miles and going strong.

Quick Reply: HELP! My ashtray won't open. 2008, 212K miles and going strong.