C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drifting/Donuts/Controlled Slides in Grand Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 05:47 AM
djmano
Instructor

Location: Intersection of Eau Rogue, Flugplatz and Loews Hairpin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drifting/Donuts/Controlled Slides in Grand Sport?

im sorry if this type of post isn't condoned on the board, please just let me know and i will remove immediately.

anyway just did the ranger clutch bleed and for some reason wanted to abuse my clutch lol....also am reaching the point where i am getting pretty comfortable w/ the overall dynamics of the car so decided to go to an empty lot to mess around a bit.

i used 2nd gear, clutch kick method, competition driving mode MUHAHAHA. the first time i did it i was like HOLY **** BRO LS3 TOO MUCH POWER!!!! it was ****ing insane. i couldnt manage to hold a sustained power drift for longer than a few seconds as my throttle control was all over the place and my steering work was much too slow.

ive read that it is very difficult to drift a car with high grip tires and now i understand why. its like bipolar....either your totally lose the rear end or you suddenly gain grip and understeer.

also, im much worse drifting to my left, it just feels more natural to slide to my right, is it because im right handed? in the past ive usually done all my donuts/slides to that side, i guess i just need to practice going the other way.

last thing....just saw a video of some wankster looking dude who has way better car control than me. hes on youtube 'mac drift corvette' or something like that. i couldnt hear how he applied the throttle because he had the norcal hyphy jams going in the background but it appeared he just used a slight bit of countersteer and throttle to initiate and sustain the drift. at one point he takes one hand off the wheel to throw up a westside sign and even does a little rodeo drifting (made famous by D1GP driver kazama.

Last edited by djmano; 03-17-2012 at 06:12 AM. Reason: removed image
Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by djmano
im sorry if this type of post isn't condoned on the board, please just let me know and i will remove immediately.

anyway just did the ranger clutch bleed and for some reason wanted to abuse my clutch lol....also am reaching the point where i am getting pretty comfortable w/ the overall dynamics of the car so decided to go to an empty lot to mess around a bit.

i used 2nd gear, clutch kick method, competition driving mode MUHAHAHA. the first time i did it i was like HOLY **** BRO LS3 TOO MUCH POWER!!!! it was ****ing insane. i couldnt manage to hold a sustained power drift for longer than a few seconds as my throttle control was all over the place and my steering work was much too slow.

ive read that it is very difficult to drift a car with high grip tires and now i understand why. its like bipolar....either your totally lose the rear end or you suddenly gain grip and understeer.

also, im much worse drifting to my left, it just feels more natural to slide to my right, is it because im right handed? in the past ive usually done all my donuts/slides to that side, i guess i just need to practice going the other way.

last thing....just saw a video of some wankster looking dude who has way better car control than me. hes on youtube 'mac drift corvette' or something like that. i couldnt hear how he applied the throttle because he had the norcal hyphy jams going in the background but it appeared he just used a slight bit of countersteer and throttle to initiate and sustain the drift. at one point he takes one hand off the wheel to throw up a westside sign and even does a little rodeo drifting (made famous by D1GP driver kazama.

I leave the stunt drifting to the idiots and the pro's!~total waste of time and the car for no return but stupidty!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:36 AM
djmano
Instructor

i knew that there would be negative reaction to this post, but i think my point is being misunderstood. im not gloating about going out and abusing my car. i just want some insight into how better to control a c6 in oversteer type situations, as i feel anyone with a high hp rwd car should.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd be very careful where I did this. You can get cited for reckless driving,even in a deserted lot. I know,because I got one many years ago when I was young & foolish.

Not trying to be a downer,it was a hell of a lot of fun until the blue lights started. Try to find a friend with private property big enough to toss it around.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:18 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

How do you control oversteer? Leave the nannies turned on and don't be stupid in what you ask the car to do. That will take care of 99.9% of the oversteer situations. Until you are being paid to handle the remaining 0.1%, just let insurance take care of the rest.

I understand drifting can be fun for a while. I did a lot of it many years ago. It was a lot easier in the early 70's than it is today. But then I learned that, like jacking an F-150 12 feet in the air, when it comes right down to it, it's just pretty stupid.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:38 AM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

i knew that there would be negative reaction to this post, but i think my point is being misunderstood. im not gloating about going out and abusing my car. i just want some insight into how better to control a c6 in oversteer type situations, as i feel anyone with a high hp rwd car should.
yeah, old men don't like that kid ricer drifting nonsense
Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think drifting in a very safe, very secluded, and totally off -boundary place for law enforce. is fine esp. since it's probably no more abuse to the car than say, drag racing, or road racing. that said, why didn't you turn off all the nannies? competition mode leaves some still working.

I also recall that there was a fella on here who purpose-built (rebuilt?) a C6 for drifting from northern Cal. you may want to chat w. him.

here it is, and next time I'm near San Jose which shouldn't be too long, I'm going to take him up on his offer and go look his shop over:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...t-florida.html
Old 03-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

I wish I had the bawls to try some spins (not to mention a new set of tires), it would be so fun. No harm if done safely, maybe on someone's private lot with permission?

Years ago I was doing some mild donuts in an empty grocer lot (in snow - at night) and got a ticket for "Crossing Parking Lanes with no Stop!"
Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 AM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I think drifting in a very safe, very secluded, and totally off -boundary place for law enforce. is fine esp. since it's probably no more abuse to the car than say, drag racing, or road racing. that said, why didn't you turn off all the nannies? competition mode leaves some still working.

I also recall that there was a fella on here who purpose-built (rebuilt?) a C6 for drifting from northern Cal. you may want to chat w. him.

here it is, and next time I'm near San Jose which shouldn't be too long, I'm going to take him up on his offer and go look his shop over:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...t-florida.html
BLU808 in Cambell Ca. He has some videos on his build of teh C6 drift car as well.

DJ
Old 03-17-2012, 09:19 AM
CWHPARTS
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

i have been wanting to do a local drift event with mine. whats more fun than slideing sideways smoking the tires at 90mph. far less abusive than drag racing (with slicks) to the drivetrain and no more than road racing or autocross except of course to the tires. you have to turn traction control and active handling completely off. push button once then again and hold till it tells you everything is off.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:43 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you head over to Spring Mountain for their Level 1 course, they'll have a session on a wet figure-8 course in which they instruct you how to handle power-on oversteer, including the application of enough power to induce (and encouragement to try to catch and correct) a spin. Having an instructor in the car with you helps tremendously, because there are things that they see and feel that you won't, on your own, interpret correctly without burning through many sets of tires. They shortcut that process, and the practice really pays off when you later really get on the throttle on their dry road course.

They don't teach you to drift as that's not the fast way around a corner, but the throttle control and sensory inputs they do teach help a lot with being able to control and maintain oversteer.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Best place is a packed dirt road or field specially just after a light wetting. Helps if the ground has a high clay content to a opposed to sandy soil condition.

Back end comes around turn into the skid.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:53 AM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yet another of my 47 reasons to never buy a used corvette.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:00 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Wet roads help.

And skill..

Old 03-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

On a road course I try to avoid the drifting and sliding but I've messed around on a skid pad (wet and dry) before. Provided you're in a totally safe place and when you get comfortable, I suggest you shutoff all the nannies and have at it. In competition mode....even on a road course AH engages at almost every corner and curve without ever really breaking traction. It gets to a point where even the more limited AH intervention slows you down. When you're deliberately drifting in comp mode you're relinquishing a lot of control to the computer which might be counter-productive for what you're trying to do. Try it both ways and see. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Great, the above video is all that is needed. Now watch and see how many idiots try to copy and fail.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:08 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Great, the above video is all that is needed. Now watch and see how many idiots try to copy and fail.
I'm assuming there are not many idiots on here. There's always street racers screwing around out there.

Get notified of new replies

To Drifting/Donuts/Controlled Slides in Grand Sport?

Old 03-17-2012, 04:25 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I just want to know what "the norcal hyphy jams" are/is.....
Old 03-17-2012, 04:50 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by cclive
you're just uniformed, Chris................................... ........................................ .....

like me.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:29 PM
djmano
Instructor

Originally Posted by cclive
lol here's the link to the youtube vid. don't let the first few seconds throw you off....im pretty sure most of you guys will be tempted to close the video within the first 7 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YJ1oSP9NXI

im pretty sure all the computer aids were off.....maybe i was wrong in saying i was in competition driving mode. i pressed the traction control button twice quickly in succession. the way the car was behaving i dont believe there was anything intervening.

i appreciate all the constructive comments....i had second thoughts about posting because i thought i might get run out of here.

i totally understand the sentiments of those vette owners who like keep all the aids on, in the real world it probably is the safest way to keep your baby out of the armco. but like the videos LFZ posted, there is really a magical feeling in dialing in the correct amount of opposite lock and proper throttle modulation and holding a little slide. if any of you guys read EVO magazine, what do they do with every supercar they get to test? they get them sideways of course, its the most fun thing you can do in a high performance car and really gives you an insight as to the overall composure, chassis, and power delivery.

Last edited by djmano; 03-17-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added YT link

Quick Reply: Drifting/Donuts/Controlled Slides in Grand Sport?